Cost of heating - gas - electric hook up - how do we do it? (1 Viewer)

Jemima

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
May 2018
We are driving south through Eastern Europe currently in Czech Republic. We have gone through a gas bottle with heating trying to keep warm at night. We have also stopped in a few sites which charge about €20 simply for the electric hook up in order to keep warm. This is costing us a fortune and i can't help thinking that there must be a better way. We are chasing the sunshine south towards Greece but even so the weather will not be that warm over the winter. How do 'lifers' do this? Surely people can't be spending €20 a night (€600 a month) on electric? Can they?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Lol was just discussing that very option with the other half
We've found that using a thin fleece throw as a top sheet (and bottom too if you have one) keeps you warmer than just a standard cotton or polycotton of sheet as it 'moulds' to the shape of your body batter than a sheet thus filling any gaps that would allow cold air in.

I do have my 3 hairy monsters too which helps ... you simply cannot beat having a hot dog in your bed! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is your van winterised...? Shouldn’t be that cold yet if it is...
We had some nights where it got down to 5C degrees last month in Germany despite being between 25C and 30C during the day, it surprising just how cold it can be especially with a clear night.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not in all cases as someone on another thread here is having the exact problem in Portugal.
Can you point me to that thread please.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
is it just me that is now struggling with the thought of Mel in crotchless longjohns and a problem keeping warm. never mind running out of gas somethings in life can be traumatic even when only seen in your mind's eye

camping gaz what a ridiculous method of heating a motorhome. half the size of the smallest calor cylinder and twice the cost. £1.50 worth of gas at forecourt pump prices in each cylinder

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
No chance ... I would want to try to go to the loo at night with a onesie on ... you'd end up having to strip off before you can even sit down ... not such a problem for a man who just wants a wee but far from ideal for a female. I suppose an old fashioned 'long john' suit with the flap at the rear might be better but trying to unbutton it would be a nightmare! o_O

Think I'll stick to my pjs and a hoodie! :D

That’s what Mrs bigtwin said too! :D

Ian

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I can use 6kg of gas when it gets cold in 4 days but van is like an oven probably too warm but i have refillable bottles

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jemima

Jemima

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
May 2018
Thanks all. You have been great and we have also spoken to a couple we met today who have had LPG conversion and showed us how it all works. We have been using campingaz all this time - we are new to this remember - and will get the conversion to LPG done at the earliest opportunity. Here is to cheaper and warmer nights this winter

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thanks all. You have been great and we have also spoken to a couple we met today who have had LPG conversion and showed us how it all works. We have been using campingaz all this time - we are new to this remember - and will get the conversion to LPG done at the earliest opportunity. Here is to cheaper and warmer nights this winter
As has been said buy a local bottle and a regulator. (y)

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I can use 6kg of gas when it gets cold in 4 days but van is like an oven probably too warm but i have refillable bottles
I’ll see your 6kg and raise you to 11 (y)
The boss can easily do an 11kg in 2 days in winter (n)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Now now Mel, this is a family forum....:D2

;)
Actually it's quite nice having a couple of hot dogs, on to cuddle and the other to keep my feet warm ... :p

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back