Cost of habitation service at Lowdhams (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Just been given a quote of £349 for 1st habitation service on our Knaus Sun Ti. Includes damp and gas check, with underbody treatment (whatever that is).

Sounds steep but have no real experience of this. Any advice of normal prices much appreciated. (y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If it's a brand new van you may need to clarify what the terms are for any warranty..
Some brands have to go back to a supplying dealer and hence costs a bomb..

Mine is Autotrail, as long as the engineer is NCC approved thats all that is required.. Mine is done by a mobile guy and costs £100 all done at my home..

No idea what the underbody treatment is..

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sounds expensive is this for a habitation check and a normal service or just a hab check. No idea either about the underbody treatment....

Upvote 0

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Ours is booked in with our supplying dealer at the end of the month, total cost £185, So yes, yours does sound dear in comparison(n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
On our Hymer the damp and underbody spray are part of the 10 yr damp warranty and has to be done by a Hymer dealer,could be similar with yours

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The first two years of ours is "free" - well okay, part of the purchase price, but it has to go back to the supplying dealer and the window is two weeks either side of the anniversary of the purchase date. She's going in next week :)

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Hymer require a damp treatment every year but not the hab service. If we had had both it would have been £199 hab service and £120 damp service. Chose just the damp one. Find out what is required by the manufacturer. Our dealers told us which was needed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
On our Hymer the damp and underbody spray are part of the 10 yr damp warranty and has to be done by a Hymer dealer,could be similar with yours
I've contacted Lowdhams and the underbody spray is some sort of protector to prevent damp ingress and is part of the Knaus warranty according to them. Wonder how many makes require this?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Sounds expensive is this for a habitation check and a normal service or just a hab check. No idea either about the underbody treatment....
Just Hab, gas and damp . . . not the vehicle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
The first two years of ours is "free" - well okay, part of the purchase price, but it has to go back to the supplying dealer and the window is two weeks either side of the anniversary of the purchase date. She's going in next week :)
Wonder how much they added on to cover it?

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You could phone the other dealerships.
See exactly what is required fir your warranty. Hymer in germany charged me eur99!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Ours is from Lowdhams they are expensive and at one time charged a lot less at their other branch.
This is the Nottingham branch. Thought they'd be tighter in Yorkshire :eek:

Did you pay something similar and did you have the underseal spray? Cheers.

Upvote 0

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I have a Knaus... purchased new from Southdowns...

I've only ever had the water ingress check... as this is the only requirement for warranty....

Had two to date (reg 2015)

Each time circa £225/255 including the underseal....

So no Hab or gas check for moi...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have a Knaus... purchased new from Southdowns...

I've only ever had the water ingress check... as this is the only requirement for warranty....

Had two to date (reg 2015)

Each time circa £225/255 including the underseal....

So no Hab or gas check for moi...
Do they underseal every time and what do they spray. Need to go and check my service book. Could have sworn there were two sections, one for hab and one for damp?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On our 3rd Hymer never had a hab service never had a problem with warranty work we just have a damp check done. Local dealer charges £123 our Belgium dealer charges €70, UK dealer charges £35 for the spray (it's only underseal) included in the damp check price, they only spray it around the cable & pipe entries. Saw it on the shelf at our Belgium dealers €17, rip off Britian again.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
On our 3rd Hymer never had a hab service never had a problem with warranty work we just have a damp check done. Local dealer charges £123 our Belgium dealer charges €70, UK dealer charges £35 for the spray (it's only underseal) included in the damp check price, they only spray it around the cable & pipe entries. Saw it on the shelf at our Belgium dealers €17, rip off Britian again.
This is what I was thinking. :eek:

It has to be an authorised Knaus dealer though. Probably a lot rarer than Hymer ones. Did you ever have a gas check Lenny?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is what I was thinking. :eek:

It has to be an authorised Knaus dealer though. Probably a lot rarer than Hymer ones. Did you ever have a gas check Lenny?
Do it myself I have a gas sniffer one of these, I did get our Belgium dealer to do it on one of my previous vansdidn'tt charge for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Why, in Gods green earth, does it need a damp spray ? What exactly do they do ? Is it so vulnerable and if so why was it was not fully sealed during construction. ?

Unless old SuperMike is missing the plot, very possible, this all sounds like a scheme of collecting money from you, for whatever reason, and have to have done to keep the warranty.

Mine has a 10yr water ingress guarantee from wherever. No spraying, no check-ups, this is all weird to me. Are they really making such stuff ?

I smell old wet fish. o_O

Upvote 0

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Do they underseal every time and what do they spray. Need to go and check my service book. Could have sworn there were two sections, one for hab and one for damp?

Re underseal.... they spray around near arches and along where body is fixed to chassis IIR ... in my opinion ... for what they do... and amount they spray.... along with where they spray it ... it makes me wonder why they bother.... and if it has any effect...

And yes.... both times to date...

Edit: re hab and water ingress.... they will book you in for both.... unless you ask the question... "what is necessary for warranty".... then they will tell you ... water ingress (damp) test only... then it's your choice what you let them do over and above that...

As for Hab test... i'm quite capable of noticing anything "amis" with the fixtures n' fitting in the hab area... and rectifying them if need be... (warranty work aside).. but my warranty is now up..

John

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Why, in Gods green earth, does it need a damp spray ? What exactly do they do ? Is it so vulnerable and if so why was it was not fully sealed during construction. ?

Unless old SuperMike is missing the plot, very possible, this all sounds like a scheme of collecting money from you, for whatever reason, and have to have done to keep the warranty.

Mine has a 10yr water ingress guarantee from wherever. No spraying, no check-ups, this is all weird to me. Are they really making such stuff ?

I smell old wet fish. o_O
:D Probably right.

Checked my warranty book and there's no mention of spraying underseal. Not sure it's a requirement.

Upvote 0

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
:D Probably right.

Checked my warranty book and there's no mention of spraying underseal. Not sure it's a requirement.

I "believe" it to be part of the water ingress warrany "work/requirement"... an after thought... my guess being they've had some issues at some point from road spray.... just a guess....

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Had ours done 2 weeks ago, first Habitation check incl Gas and electric £210 at Pilote dealership.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I know with N+B vans you can have the damp check done anywhere but they must get the spray stuff from the factory, I know Michael @sallylillian had his Flair done in Spain and will know more about it than I do(y)

Martin

Upvote 0
May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Just been given a quote of £349 for 1st habitation service on our Knaus Sun Ti. Includes damp and gas check, with underbody treatment (whatever that is).

Sounds steep but have no real experience of this. Any advice of normal prices much appreciated. (y)
They are trying to take your pants down!

Upvote 0
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Very similar price to Travelworld. Can't remember the exact cost for damp and hab checks combined, but it's well in excess of £300. We took our 1-year-od Hymer to them for a damp check in line with the warranty conditions. They tried to insist that the warranty conditions would not be met unless we had the hab check as well. We knew otherwise, and stuck with the eye-wateringly expensive damp check, at a cost of £170. We've going to Campirama for the next one.(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back