Cost of Ferry crossing (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
DFDS are now taking online bookings for next year. I've just booked Dover-Calais (Jan-April) and the cost is now about the same as the Eurotunnel (£170.00). Last year I was getting return crossings for around £60.00.
I wonder if the days of decent discounts have now disappeared.
Bet a pound to a pitch of doggy doo someone tells me I should have gone with someone else and saved a packet LOL.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know what mh you have or trailer or whatever but that sounds very dear, did it three weeks ago for£97, is it really going up that much, if so it's the tunnel for me , no competition if it's same money

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We went with DFDS to Dunkirk over the last few years. Prices have gone up this year.
Last summer we paid £50.50 return but that was booked 3 months in advance and had the NEC code.
(6 weeks away and up to 8m).

Looked last week and for 4 weeks (August) DFDS wanted £160. We ended up booking with MyFerrylink for £112 with a free cuddly toy thrown in at check in... :cooler:
Had we came back a few days later at the beginning of September, we could have got the return for about £80, but no cuddly toy...:crying:

Anyhow packing the van today and off tomorrow to Dover.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Don't know what mh you have or trailer or whatever but that sounds very dear, did it three weeks ago for£97, is it really going up that much, if so it's the tunnel for me , no competition if it's same money

3.5 T Low profile (6.7M) with no trailer. Paid an extra £20.00 (Flexi) on the return date otherwise the pricewould be £150.00 with fixed sailing times.
When I was with the CC (2013) DFDS gave a 50% discount and i was getting return crossings for about £50. which would have meant around £100 for the full fare. (Travelling at the same time too). This year, DFDS cancelled it's arrangement with the CC and did not attend the NEC show, so no discount code either. I spoke to DFDS office staff earlier in the year and they told me no discounts this year but even so, it's almost a 50% increase in prices compared with last year. I'm sure there will be some better deals with other operators but my gut feeling is the savings are going to be minimal.
Still the cheapest way for me to get the Motorhome to Spain though.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
paid £56 Newhaven Dieppe last year and it was the same again this July. Thats each way but if you are heading for Rouen it saves you about 100 miles and a couple of hours driving if you normally cross to Calais. My van is 6.5. BUSBY:)

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
paid £56 Newhaven Dieppe last year and it was the same again this July. Thats each way but if you are heading for Rouen it saves you about 100 miles and a couple of hours driving if you normally cross to Calais. My van is 6.5. BUSBY:)

Thanks! I'll look at that for possible future crossings

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Thanks! I'll look at that for possible future crossings

Only thing is that to get that price you need to over 60. You have to book by phone to get discount. BUSBY.

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
just booked newhaven dieppe for 10th of oct and with old codgers discount came to 49 pounds one way to dieppe.

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
117 with PO this year Dover -Calais, last year 79 with DfDS at same time of year. On way back tomorrow. New haven -Dieppe sounds good will look at that.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Confirmed tunneler, just booked today for four weeks tomorrow at £210 for one dog and two irresponsible adults. That's travelling out and back between eight and ten am.
Not cheap but the convenience to us far outweighs lower ferry costs.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Tunnel for us , with tesco if we got enough, but at the same price as ferry , just no competition

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Dont get many TESCO vouchers now because we save £30 to £40 a week shopping at Lidle and Aldi. Can afford Brittany Ferries with the saving. BUSBY:)

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
in winter always the tunnel 30mins and ya there also no smelly diesel engines (p&o mainly) no ruff crossings watch 1 episode of mrs browns boys and ya there :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Dont get many TESCO vouchers now because we save £30 to £40 a week shopping at Lidle and Aldi. Can afford Brittany Ferries with the saving. BUSBY:)
Agree with you, always shopped at aldi, since it opened, but we have a tesco credit card, and buy everything on that and pay it off every month, you get points for everything you buy even if it is in other shops , petrol anywhere, anything, and if you do use it in tesco store you get double points, so I know you can get various cards that give you cash back and other stuff but for us the tesco card is the one, btw you get points on anything even insurance or big stuff like cars or furniture, anything, surprising how they mount up, then they get trebled for the tunnel fare

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I looked at the Newhaven to Dieppe crossing for my dates Jan-April but could not get a quote. Will try again later this year as this cvould be a better option than Dover-Calais.
I thought about the Tesco credit card too but not convinced it is the best option as to the best of my knowledge you pay extra on each transaction for using a credit card. Has anyone done the maths on this ? how much do you have to spend (the excess bit) for each £1.00 returned in voucher's.
At the end of the day, it's personal preference/ pro's and con's, I guess. With the tunnel it's quick but you have a 2 hour parking limitation and pay a little more for the crossing. My preference is Dover as you can lay up either side before/after crossing and it's the cheaper option.
Wish they would bring the prices down though, you would think FUN members would get a discount.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
I'm booking a crossing at the beginning of September, Dieppe/Newhaven - DFDS/LDLines.
Return = £100 (including 20% discount for being over 60).
Booked single x 2 as a return was £35 more...

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I looked at the Newhaven to Dieppe crossing for my dates Jan-April but could not get a quote. Will try again later this year as this cvould be a better option than Dover-Calais.
I thought about the Tesco credit card too but not convinced it is the best option as to the best of my knowledge you pay extra on each transaction for using a credit card. Has anyone done the maths on this ? how much do you have to spend (the excess bit) for each £1.00 returned in voucher's.
At the end of the day, it's personal preference/ pro's and con's, I guess. With the tunnel it's quick but you have a 2 hour parking limitation and pay a little more for the crossing. My preference is Dover as you can lay up either side before/after crossing and it's the cheaper option.
Wish they would bring the prices down though, you would think FUN members would get a discount.
Don't fully understand what you mean, I am not pushing tesco credit card or anything, but you don't pay any extra at petrol stations or shops, meals out , loads of places, some places do charge extra but they tell you first, Ryanair and some other online things do but if a extra charge is mentioned then we don't use it, but for everyday spending most don't charge extra , don't know what you mean about the excess bit as far as I know there is no excess , we usually have enough for the whole crossing.
If you are not useing your vouchers for the tunnel then yes, there are better credit cards than tesco, but as we use it we don't pay any extra for the things we would buy anyway , whether at tesco or elsewhere, have three weeks free credit and just pay one bill a month instead of useing cash.
That said I am also a big believer in cash if I am getting a discount(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm booking a crossing at the beginning of September, Dieppe/Newhaven - DFDS/LDLines.
Return = £100 (including 20% discount for being over 60).
Booked single x 2 as a return was £35 more...
Why is that

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Don't fully understand what you mean, I am not pushing tesco credit card or anything, but you don't pay any extra at petrol stations or shops, meals out , loads of places, some places do charge extra but they tell you first, Ryanair and some other online things do but if a extra charge is mentioned then we don't use it, but for everyday spending most don't charge extra , don't know what you mean about the excess bit as far as I know there is no excess , we usually have enough for the whole crossing.
If you are not useing your vouchers for the tunnel then yes, there are better credit cards than tesco, but as we use it we don't pay any extra for the things we would buy anyway , whether at tesco or elsewhere, have three weeks free credit and just pay one bill a month instead of useing cash.
That said I am also a big believer in cash if I am getting a discount(y)
Yes, I did not explain myself clearly enough. When I use my Credit card I'm often told there is a 3% surcharge for using my card. That would be £3.00 on a £100. transaction and I was just wondering if this was a Tesco card how much I would get back in Tesco vouchers for every £100. spent.
Clearly if your not paying any surcharge it is a win win situation.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We usually like to use the ferry (all part of the holiday etc) but this september we are taking the Chunnel. Normal cost - £162, cost with Tesco vouchers - £0, I don't know how they can afford to do it. You do have to pay actual money to take the dog though (£32).

Paul

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes, I did not explain myself clearly enough. When I use my Credit card I'm often told there is a 3% surcharge for using my card. That would be £3.00 on a £100. transaction and I was just wondering if this was a Tesco card how much I would get back in Tesco vouchers for every £100. spent.
Clearly if your not paying any surcharge it is a win win situation.
If you already have a credit card you know where they charge or not, tesco is no different than any other, it's a MasterCard and same as any other , if you have a credit card that gives nectar points or money back , probably not much different but we like the tunnel so as you say for uu win win

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We paid £78 return with DFDS for departure the last week of June returning 1st week of July a few weeks in advance, lost a headlight on the way to the ferry for departure so lost that crossing, booked another for a few days later for £42 so it still only cost £120 all in.

I thought that was VFM, even got shifted to an earlier crossing for free on the way back.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Tough one that:) To get £100 off the tunnel you need £33 worth of vouchers my latest statement is a ten pound voucher made up of 83 points in tesco 260 points tesco petrol 67 points tesco mobile phone, plus 563 points for useing credit card, so I have accumulated £10 for 1026 points so need three of these for hundred pounds but Julie has a card as well and gets roughly the same as me and you can add them together now you get a point for every pound spent, plus a point for every two pounds spent on your credit card anywhere but tesco where you just get double points so of that total points I have probably spent £2000 or more in three months, said it was tough, still don't know if my figures add up, but that's as near as I can tell, but as I said before it's money that we spend anyway nothing added anywhere.
Just been informed by swmbo that a lot of things you only get a point for four pounds, so that probably makes it up to £3000 spent

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No looking at it again , I got excited there, my three grand gets a tenner so you need three times that to get to your question about £100 so it looks as if you have to spend 10 grand to get £100 of tunnel tickets

Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Anyone have a discount code for a crossing?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back