Corsica (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Corsica has been on the wish list for a long time and thinking to go for it this September. Can any of you give any help/recommendations on the following please:
  • I'm told that the best crossing is overnight into L'Ile Rousse because the view approaching in the early morning is stunning. Anyone done it and agree?
  • What does 'deck space' accommodation mean on Corsica Linea? Does it mean you can sleep in the MH? Do any of the ferries from France offer this facility (think I've read it somewhere but can't remember where)
  • We aren't good at narrow, windy and - even worse - precipitous roads, gulp. Any suggestions for an itinerary that avoids them - even if it means we just stick to the coastal regions, we don't mind too much for this first taster trip. Also the best Corsica port for this if we bottle out of L'Ile Rousse (we really are wimps, don't mind admitting it :rolleyes:)
Having heard so much about the roads, but so keen to see Corsica, I did even think about going in the car and staying in an apartment...:eek:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We just sailed from Savona and took an early morning crossing, around 6am. We took a cabin as it was easier with the dogs. Narrow, bendy roads = yes a lot but well worth it for the crystal blue water and amazing foods, we'll be back soon !!!

The West coast is quieter and less explored from what we found, the East side is more touristy but still with lovely ports and bays.

Enjoy

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
When we went (2013)the ferries from Italy were significantly cheaper so we went Genoa-Calvi out, and back into Livorno. The bit I remember the most was the bit that sticks up at the north for its rugged coastline and it had a great footpath http://corsica.forhikers.com/sentier-des-douaniers, we did it one way and JUST caught the boat back. Bonnifacio is also very pretty

We had done Sardinia the year before and on balance Sardinia is the one we would go back to because it had sostas as well as campsites, a bit easier to get around and the people were nicer. Yes Corsica is slightly prettier but all campsites and miserable people ( 7 years on they might be different)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We visited Corsica last year and my overwhelming memory is of narrow, windy roads and precipitous drops. :) If these really are a problem you would have to stick to the east coast only. Cap Corse is interesting and you can get to the tip easily up the east side but avoid the west side where there are some serious cliffs.

As already suggested, you would find Sardinia much more approachable. We enjoyed Corsica but there are only a handful of aires and wild camping is discouraged with lots of height barriers on the coastal car parks.

An account of our trip:

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all the comments, will sit down with an ice cream now and read DBK 's account of Two Go to Corsica. In normal times we would seriously consider Sardinia, but decided not to leave France until Covid is sorted, figuring it is better to be poorly on home territory (we live in France) if we were unlucky enough to catch it.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Nice to Bastia, then travel north very beautiful, narrow but very doable and worth any anxiety. Then south along the west coast via Calvi to Bonifacio then ferry to Sardinia.
Yes as said previously the character of both islands are quite different mainly as Corsica is French!

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
When we went (2013)the ferries from Italy were significantly cheaper so we went Genoa-Calvi out, and back into Livorno. The bit I remember the most was the bit that sticks up at the north for its rugged coastline and it had a great footpath http://corsica.forhikers.com/sentier-des-douaniers, we did it one way and JUST caught the boat back. Bonnifacio is also very pretty

We had done Sardinia the year before and on balance Sardinia is the one we would go back to because it had sostas as well as campsites, a bit easier to get around and the people were nicer. Yes Corsica is slightly prettier but all campsites and miserable people ( 7 years on they might be different)
No even after 7 years!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
DBK your Corsica trip was a really interesting read, thanks. If we go, then I think we will take your advice and just do the east coast, but a couple of weeks of beaches, little ports, sun, warm sea and some delicious food will do us fine, leave the more challenging bits for another time. Just got to persuade MrS now...

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Well having decided to start properly planning the trip, have just discovered that Marseille, the port we would have preferred for the outward bound to L'Ile Rousse, is likely to go into lockdown from tomorrow with bars and restaurants closed and movement very restricted. Also Paris. Time to wait a bit and see...

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
Corsica has been on the wish list for a long time and thinking to go for it this September. Can any of you give any help/recommendations on the following please:
  • I'm told that the best crossing is overnight into L'Ile Rousse because the view approaching in the early morning is stunning. Anyone done it and agree?
  • What does 'deck space' accommodation mean on Corsica Linea? Does it mean you can sleep in the MH? Do any of the ferries from France offer this facility (think I've read it somewhere but can't remember where)
  • We aren't good at narrow, windy and - even worse - precipitous roads, gulp. Any suggestions for an itinerary that avoids them - even if it means we just stick to the coastal regions, we don't mind too much for this first taster trip. Also the best Corsica port for this if we bottle out of L'Ile Rousse (we really are wimps, don't mind admitting it :rolleyes:)
Having heard so much about the roads, but so keen to see Corsica, I did even think about going in the car and staying in an apartment...:eek:
These are a couple of pictures from the Calanques, just south west of Porto and one of the most picturesque places on the west coast. This is probably the narrowest point for west coast roads and it's just a question of taking it slow and steady. Having driven virtually all the roads on the island, either in the motorhome or on a motorbike, apart from a couple of small sections of inland roads, there is little to fear about driving in Corsica.

These are some notes I made after our trip https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...es-whilst-on-the-islands.174187/#post-3163799
IMG_5777.JPG
IMG_5778.JPG

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
thanks Roger20 will have a read. Definitely won't show MrS those photos! Am thinking to go to calanques at Cassis, heard they are beautiful too, and then skip the Corsican ones and the worst of the roads.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
DBK your Corsica trip was a really interesting read, thanks. If we go, then I think we will take your advice and just do the east coast, but a couple of weeks of beaches, little ports, sun, warm sea and some delicious food will do us fine, leave the more challenging bits for another time. Just got to persuade MrS now...

Reasonable plan but a lot of the east Coast is quite flat and a bit same same, much less dramatic than the rest. can I suggest a couple of daring escapades into the centre. I remember seeing a very pretty gorge - googling Restonica??

We saw this sign in the toilet at a Corsican campsite

P1010243.JPG

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Reasonable plan but a lot of the east Coast is quite flat and a bit same same, much less dramatic than the rest. can I suggest a couple of daring escapades into the centre. I remember seeing a very pretty gorge - googling Restonica??

We saw this sign in the toilet at a Corsican campsite

View attachment 415966
Agree the 'west is best'. and trips into the central area where you can. You must also go to the North peninsular which is why I ,mentioned going into Bastia and heading north. A little tip; we always try to travel around islands, like Corsica, anticlockwise as you are next to the sea, can see over barriers and you have a better/clearer view of seeing whats coming the other way. Very tight in spots. Don't know about the toilet thing though!

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
thanks pandas and jongood. Really thinking about all the options now, suppose we could always hire a car for a few days to do the tricky bits.
Toilet sign was intriguing! But I'm pretty sure MrS's toilet surprises, well any surprises really, are a thing of the distant past so that is one less thing to budget for :ROFLMAO:. Reading it again, I think they might be saying that if people not from the campsite are caught using the showers they will have to pay 10€, which is fair enough.

Reactions: DBK
May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Not yet
Wild camping is strictly forbidden for all motorhomes in Summer so check out for September. If you can't prove you've used official campsites for every nights you will be heavily fined. Keep the receipts!

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Yes I heard that, that's why we were looking to go in September before they close (those that are open), but I did wonder if some might close early because of the lack of tourists.

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
eddievanbitz If that was one with slideouts, presume you kept them in on the narrow mountain roads? :LOL: Seriously, respect if you did those vertiginous roads in a wide body RV (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back