Corsica & Sardinia - how to book ferries whilst on the islands (1 Viewer)

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
I posted this as part of my first message on the forum but only later realised it would have been better in the travel section.

" Looking forward to taking the new van to Corsica and Sardinia in September, towing my Transalp. If anyone has done that and had experience of booking ferries between islands and back to the mainland whilst actually away I would be interested to hear how the booking, and particularly payment process went."

SMB replied "Hi Roger and welcome! We are currently in Sicily having initially taken the ferry from Barcelona to Sardinia then onwards to here. The ferry process is very easy, I use apps to book them, Aferry and Directferries to be precise without any problems. I pay by credit card, had no problems in five years, you could also try the ferry websites for offers as well but I have found that the apps normally reflect the carrier's prices. Hope this helps :)"

I think what I was trying to understand was probably aimed at the process of booking a ferry whilst actually on the islands themselves ( to retain flexibility) rather than doing it from home, particularly from a security point of view. Easiest would be to do check availability and book online from either phone using data, or campsite WiFi but my concern would be entering credit card numbers and perhaps other personal details. I had thought about setting up a VPN but paying securely would be the only reason to bother doing this. The other options are presumably ringing the ferry company departure port but would the language barrier present a problem? Finally there is the last resort of just turning up and hoping for space but that doesn't seem a particularly good option.

Any more thoughts?

Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Bump... Interested in this, as planning on going to sardinia this year. We prefer to book our ferry crossing a few days before whilst en route.. ..

OP
OP
Roger20
Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
We did this trip in September/October but not on to Sardinia. Spent the whole month in Corsica covering virtually all the roads. (towing a motorbike) and will do Sardinia another time.
No problem booking return back from Bastia to Livorno using the Direct Ferries app on the phone. Used Tunnel Bear VPN (free - 500mb) just to make the payment using a Halifax credit card and then did the same on the return from Calais to Dover. No problems at all although worthwhile to recce Bastia access to the ferry terminal just to make sure you don't get sucked into the limited height underpasses! I'm sure it would have worked OK going Bonifacio crossing as well although again a bit of a recce, particularly because of the bike trailer in my case would have been useful because the port is very small. Bonifacio particularly is incredibly scenic. Superb island and well worth the effort. Motorcycling probably as good as it gets.

Only slight problem was the approach from Marina di Pisa sosta to the port in Livorno because early in the morning and dark. Towing a trailer so turning would have been awkward. The last bit of access through the port was hardly signposted if at all so slightly stressful in the dark - if necessary just take it very slowly and you will get there. Also use deet repellent at Marina di Pisa if you use that as a base before the ferry - nasty mossies!

Don't worry about narrow west coast roads (unless you really are a nervous driver). Only 2 short sections that are slightly awkward and on one of these (les Calanches which are superb - drive through with Street View) we watched with great amusement as an artic came through followed by 2 coaches. In fact apart from one valley up from Corte there was virtually nowhere I wouldn't have taken my 7m coachbuilt, albeit carefully and slowly in parts and not all with a trailer.

Hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back