Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Our MH is fitted with corrugated waste pipes on sink / shower / washbasin, and for the life of me I cannot see why any manufacturer would do this. It is obvious that gunk will settle in the corrugations and possibly give problems with nasty niffs. Has anyone replaced these pipes with a smooth walled alternative and if so where did you buy it?

The Tincas

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I can only imagine that it's because it's very flexible and cheap.

I can't imagine it's too difficult to change once you get the rigt size.

Our is in rigid pipe and corner elbows.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm sure Martin is right.

If I remember correctly the corrugated pipe on our Autoquest was 28mm so I Googled 28mm plastic pipe and came up with several results, including some stocked by Wickes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The corrugated stuff goes around corners easily, just be careful with plain walled that nothing is too tight and kinks it.

Reactions: GJH

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Our MH is fitted with corrugated waste pipes on sink / shower / washbasin, and for the life of me I cannot see why any manufacturer would do this. It is obvious that gunk will settle in the corrugations and possibly give problems with nasty niffs.

Is the inside of the pipe actually corrugated? We bought a short length of corrugated pipe from a caravan spares shop for a repair and the inside surface was smooth.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Convoluted waste pipe is usually smooth on the inside.
If you want to avoid smells ditch the useless caravan sink drainers and fit SMEV drainers with integral water traps.
Fitted as standard on our Chausson, but never have seen them on a Brit van!

Link Removed

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
"Corrugated pipe" is actually reinforced walled pipe which doesn't kink when bent. It is smooth on the inside. You could replace it with a better quality or even non-porous pipe which would eliminate the possibility of waste pipe aroma's. Lee Sanitation would probably supply what you require.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Our MH is fitted with corrugated waste pipes on sink / shower / washbasin, and for the life of me I cannot see why any manufacturer would do this. It is obvious that gunk will settle in the corrugations and possibly give problems with nasty niffs. Has anyone replaced these pipes with a smooth walled alternative and if so where did you buy it?

The Tincas

I changed the sink corrugated waste pipe to a car radiator hose pipe...just go to a car/van parts supplier and match up the as near as shape to your needs as possible ...you'll never need to change this pipe again!

OP
OP
Tincataylor

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Many thanks for all your inputs, we will check to see if the inside of the pipes are indeed corrugated and if so we will change them,

The Tincas

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Something else to consider..
We started suffering from the dread pong up from the waste pipes after several weeks of being in one place.. A good temporary fix was simply pop the plug in the sink.. however, far from a long term solution..
Any ways... I thought I would take a quick nose ( pun intended LOL ! ) under the sink to check out the trap in case it was blocked up a bit..
To call what I was looking at a trap is like calling a row boat the Queen Mary !

Once I have got the gearbox sorted out the first job I will be doing is removing the thing and fitting a decent bottle trap under there !

Oh, a tip passed on to me by Richard ( Scotties ) was to tip some pure fresh orang juice into the tank ( via the sink ) and let that slosh around for a while.
We put four litres of Morrisons finest ( 74p a litre ) in before we left Zahora.. I drained the grey tank at an aires near to where the trailer wheel came adrift ( just north of Rouen ) and there was absolutely NO smell left at all ..

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
It looks the same type of thing. He got one for the fresh too, but that's blue. He says It's good quality stuff. He got all his windows from cak , and lots of other bits n bobs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back