Correct use of Aires (camping behaviour) (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This is not me turning into some kind of Aire policeman, but a genuine question about use of Aires

A lot of you kindly post photos of where you are, a lot involve Aires, then a lot of those show chairs, Awnings and sometimes barbeques out

It was my understanding these all come under camping behaviour ? Which I thought was not allowed on an Aire

Have the rules relaxed, does it depend on the country, region or even the style of the Aire?

Bev is a stickler for rules especially in a foreign country, if the Aire is one of the older municipal sites with much bigger pitches we would use that like we would a site, otherwise we don’t and usually go out into the town we are stopped at

I guess a lot depends on how busy and how much space is allocated per place, but have people ever been stopped from ‘camping behaviour ‘ on an Aire?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Very Much depends on the rules of a Specific Air De Camping Car or StelPlatz. Some even allow caravans.

As An Example, the Air at Cavaliere on the French Med, allows awnings and chairs to be placed outside, just like a campsite.

Its simply a case of reading the rules of the Air and using common courtesy. You are not going to sit and bake in high 30 centigrade if you can pop a couple of chairs under your shade.

SimpleS!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We don’t very often have chairs out, as you say depends on the Aire layout.
We were on an Aire at St Anton val noble and the gendarme lady kept coming around telling everybody “no camping” if they had chairs and tables out ( which some French ignored her) but the Tour de France was coming through the town, so maybe she wanted no space wasted.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Our experience of France, some aires are becoming much more like mini campsites (and often are ex municipals) and as such if we are paying to use them we treat them as such , as do most of the French who are also on them.

It sort of depends where they are and how busy they are as well.

We have seen a definite change in the 10 years we have been motorhoming, it feels to us that more aires have got electric (maybe to justify a fee ?) and more vans are camping.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We find its usually ok if there's room to sit out on French Aires but it can be stricter in Spain. I remember hearing about a rule, if its free, camping behaviour is not allowed but if you pay then it doesn't seem to be a problem. On Portuguese aires camping behaviour doesn't seem to be a problem.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Been using Aires for ten years now, and apart from ones where we were packed like sardines never found one where we couldn't sit outside, and as to individual rules never seen a sign telling you what you can or can't do, but must add we only use the very basic places, if you are going to pay you might as well use sites and get everything.
If I may I might also mention France passion where we have never been told we can't get stuff out and all free after your initial £30 a year.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
There are Aires we use in Spain that allow camping behaviour. These are usually ones you pay for.

Mrs QFour

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have heard the French say rules are guidelines only....?

Only once at a car park aire in Spain I was told to wind my awning in as I had it out about a meter ...

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
Have look at the videos of Aires we've visited and used - www.youtube.com/user/keithchesterfield

Every Aire is different and some have reasonably strict rules but most others let you spread out and relax - you are on holiday and there are no pegs or Wardens to worry about as on C&MC sites.

Use common sense, clean up after and get in the 'French' way of life.

Chairs, a table, bottle of wine and glasses and fit in with the locals.

Bon voyage

:france: :france: :france: :france:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Have to agree with the majority here that all are different. Yes, generally just an overnight stop or 48 hours but there are Aires that you can stay weeks. Pont a Mousson for example. Pay 6 nights and get one free. Awnings out, chairs out, bottle of wine out and relax.
Some just park up. No awning, chairs, drink etc.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Be sensible.

Read any signs that are up, and stick to them. If there are none, still be sensible and remember your behavior could be annoying to those who may live nearby, ie music or barbecues, smell, smoke, dogs yapping, kids yelling, radios, etc so don't do it especially on Sundays as people treat Sundays as a quiet day. (at least where I live in France)

Remember they are not campsites/holiday destinations they are designed for overnight stops and touring for a few days, and treat accordingly.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Wonder if by paying you can camp, if free not, just to stay overnight.

We have stayed on a free aire in Spain and there is a sign in three languages that says camping behaviour is not allowed.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We have stayed on large and small Aires .
Usually just a night maybe 2-3 at the end of the day we will get chairs out and a small table if eating and drinking but it all gets cleared away again when we go to bed.

We try to abide by the local rules but obviously other users don’t !!?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We are currently on a site (Torre la sal2) near Benacassim just for one night. Do not believe those who reckon a site has all facilities. This has loads we don't need, two restaurants, even a carwash but no drive over drain or any water fill point you can connect a hose. We have even stayed on one in the past which had no toilet emptying. As a rule we find aires are better equipped for what motorhomes need and we don't mind paying for one that's nice either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back