Coronavirus - Funsters In France | MotorhomeFun | The Motorhome Support and Social Network

Coronavirus - Funsters In France

Jan 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
3months
North of Bordeaux, overnight stop wanted. Would prefer EHU if possible for a change. Site or Aire thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
University of Life...
The following has been published in LaDepeche this morning. There is no specific mention of campsites but, as posted earlier, Camping-Car Park has recently emailed members to confirm their aires will remain open. If this changes, I'll try and let you know. All ski resorts are closing from midnight and arrangements are being made to repatriate tourists, so clearly there is no suggestion that Brits will be prevented from returning to the UK. I do not believe there will be any problem with Funsters travelling back home through France.

The full list was clarified this Sunday with the publication of an order from the Minister of Solidarity and Health in the Official Journal :

Establishments that close

• Hearing, conference, meeting, show or multi-use rooms
  • Shopping centers
  • Restaurants and drinking places
  • Dance halls and game rooms
  • Libraries, documentation centers
  • Exhibition halls
  • Covered sports establishments
  • Museums
Note that hotel restaurants and bars are part of "restaurants and drinking places". In addition, all establishments in this category are authorized to maintain their take-out and delivery activities .

Establishments that remain open

• Food shops
  • Pharmacies
  • The banks
  • Service stations
  • Press distribution businesses
  • Public services, including those providing transport services

Nov 26, 2014
NOT on the move!
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Vineyard parking north of Bordeaux at Cubnezias - think it might be part of the French Passion scheme. There are a couple of ehu points. It was open on Wednesday 11th March. Don't know if recent events may have closed it.

DBK

Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
North of Bordeaux, overnight stop wanted. Would prefer EHU if possible for a change. Site or Aire thanks
A bit further north the aire at Prahecq has EHU and all free. It is south east of Niort and is listed in CamperContact and probably the others.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We have just checked in at Eurotunnel.
Given earlier train at 1336 without charge. No special checks as yet ( we are waiting for call to board)

Just a heads up though..... If you are thinking of stocking up at Calais Wine or Pidou... DONT They are closed!!!

Now on board train. NO Heath checks etc.

Safe trip!
Barry

Jun 24, 2019
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
4 Years + 20+ shed dragger
Hello all, we are currently locked down on a site in Spain trying to find information on what this situation is for travel in Spain and France. I've been checking many websites and it is proving difficult to separate the fact and the fiction. Some facts are contradictory and certainly much of the information is very lacking in detail. Would there be any chance of starting a pinned thread where members could post any FACTUAL information they come across along with their own personal experiences. Perhaps someone could even act as a Moderator on this post?

My own personal experience being on a site in the Valencia region is that the campsites are not accepting any new arrivals whether they have booked or not, and this is certainly a fact at Bonterra Park, Benicassim. The Police have started to monitor people who are still out and about, the promenade is out of bounds, as is the beach. Dogs may still be walked but only by one person.

The biggest and most worrying RUMOUR is that the French have closed or have put restrictions on borders. If members reported their experience with a time and date we could perhaps start to make some sense of what is happening.

Finally, links to genuine Government websites I believe would be helpful, especially as not everyone is a whizz on the internet, or may be running out of their data limit.

Jan 13, 2014
UK-Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Excellent idea especially cross border experiences and Aires/Stops that are open,again perhaps rumour but have read of Aires being blocked, along with queues and access to Tunnel etc.
ideally a running thread over the coming weeks.

Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Latest we heard from the French Government ( last night) was that people are allowed to travel through “lockdown” areas if they are travelling home.
Otherwise, as residents, we are allowed to go out to get supplies, gentle excercise and vote in local elections today. Travelling between towns is also discouraged.
Channel Tunnel is still running.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Problem with the BBC info it’s not coming from the likes of us that are out here? We have found that info is very scarce and we have not officially been told by anyone what is happening or what we should do? Our strategy is use common sense and stay put and isolated as much as possible.
We did have a lady that popped down to the church was told to go to her home😊

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Im like a lot of funsters, trying to plan their route out of Spain, Portugal France etc.
Whilst I currently have a plan A involving a ferry on 24th March Im acutely aware it could all go belly up before then.
As such plan B for me and obviously plan A for a lot of others, is the long haul through France.
Given the current situ in France with camp sites and aires being shut to new arrivals? as per the current situ in much of Spain, could I ask that any funsters that are either enroute, or do so over the coming week, detail any actual stopping places that are and remain open, that they havr used, as a guide for those of us that wont be setting off for a little while yet. What the place is/has would be useful.
Many thanks. What a great forum this is.

DBK

Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What would be useful would be info on supermarkets with dump points etc and which motorway services have them. I don't know of any definitive list but the location of places on the main "escape" routes could be very helpful. :)

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
We live in France & went to the bar in Duras to pick up our meat the British butcher on Friday-bit quiet & now shut of course. French class there now cancelled as is our 'bloke's lunch this week. I am 72 & advice is stay in. Our local shop is open as usual today as will our SuperU tomorrow. Our choice is to stay in & watch Prime or Netflix! I have T1 Diabetes with in target blood sugars & have now given up sweeteners in my drinks since that interferes with immune system.
All good so far.

DBK

Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
...have now given up sweeteners in my drinks since that interferes with immune system.
Curious you mention that as only this morning I read something about them not being good for your gut flora.

I'm trying to lose a bit of weight and have given up sugar in coffee - except I don't enjoy coffee without sugar! I've been using sweeteners for a couple of weeks but am going to give them up. :)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Just use Park4night or your favourite as usual. Campsite owner this morning said he had received no instruction to close and would stay open until he did, he has closed the restaurant though.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I would expect most aires to remain open, particularly the free ones.
Many are little more than a car park and almost all are unmanned so what’s the point in closing them?

Richard.

Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo IT plus 724
Exp
Sept 2017
Anyone know what the situation is with Vets in France, are they still opening come tomorrow morning.

Cheers
Red.

Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I would expect most aires to remain open, particularly the free ones.
Many are little more than a car park and almost all are unmanned so what’s the point in closing them?

Richard.
This a good point, but what if communities start thinking that they don’t want outsiders coming in possibly bringing the virus with them?

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie well I was!!
The free aire at Castellón by the airadrom is at tha moment still open there is grey/black water emptying and water near by. If you you are in transit then at the moment there are no restrictions and plenty of space.

Reactions: f6c
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2003
Just received an official message from the FNHPA (federation of campsites in France).

Campsites that were already open can remain open, but all things such as restaurant, swimming pool, etc. must remain closed. An exception is a possible camping shop and the takeaway section of the restaurant. The other campsites are urged to postpone their opening.

Camping La Motte has been open since January 13 and we do not have a shop, restaurant or swimming pool. There is however an Intermarché with bakery at 3.5 km. Those who are on the road and prefer to stay overnight at a campsite are welcome. For those who passed the winter in Spain or Portugal; Camping La Motte is about 40 miles north of Bordeaux, 8 miles from the toll-free N10.

May 10, 2018
Near Devils Bridge
Funster No
MH
Self built van conversion
Exp
7 years
I’m making my way towards the tunnel, currently on a campsite near Decazeville ( in the Aveyron District ).
No problem booking my pitch. I’ve stayed on a few airies on my way up from Arles, all have been open. No problems with fuel or food shopping.

I haven’t tried booking a vet for the Pet Passport stuff but will be doing that tomorrow.

I’m returning to UK a little earlier than planned as I thought it would be prudent to do so.

Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
University of Life...
Just received an official message from the FNHPA (federation of campsites in France).

Campsites that were already open can remain open, but all things such as restaurant, swimming pool, etc. must remain closed. An exception is a possible camping shop and the takeaway section of the restaurant. The other campsites are urged to postpone their opening.
That's useful. I've just telephoned one of my local campsites which stays open all year, Le Panoramic at Payrac (Campercontact 10382), just north of Gourdon in the Lot and he confirms that he has had no instruction to close. It might be a useful stopover for anyone travelling up the A20 and wanting facilities - about €15/night. There are a number of aires in this area too, around Souillac. Exit 56 for Le Panoramic on the A20 going north, 55 going south.

Apr 29, 2016
Aquitaine, France
Funster No
MH
Kentucky Estro 9
Exp
23 years
Camping cars & motorhomes in France information, all campsites already open, can stay open but no more to open from tomorrow 16/03.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We are at Marboue, on our own when we arrived, but it is now full except for the car parking area. We have brought our crossing forward to tomorrow afternoon. As frequent travellers this is our third change in as many days. The only FQ spaces left in the afternoon were between 15.00 and 16.00.

Aug 17, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
4 years.
Left France this morning on Brittany Ferry Normandie from Caen, having spent 2 nights at the aires at Bagnoles d'Lorne. Loads of spaces, in the town, walking distance to boozers and a couple of eateries, only 1 restaurant last night. Most of the shops in town, well stocked ( but very expensive) Aldi and Lidl all the way from Malaga were well stocked. No panic buying in France. The ferry was near empty, about 100 travellers tops, said they had increased sanitation and was continuing sailing until told otherwise.
Loads of African fellas near the port, 2 tried the locked side door. Customs either side very vigilant and checked everywhere, inside the van, trailers, car boots, underneath. Great to see!
Last comment filled up with derv at 1.24 a lire, good or bad, don't know.
Re the coronavirus, only sign of difference was no kiss kiss greetings.

Johns Cross
West Country Motorhomes
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs