Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Were off to Cornwall on Thursday for 5 days

Dont know where we are going to stop though just going to drive down the Motorway until we can turn of onto a coastal road

(y)

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
There are lots of lovely little coastal roads in Cornwall leading down to adorable little bays and cracking beaches - where there is nowhere to park and nowhere to turn around..
You have been warned !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks Joy gotta make up for missing Malvern & its Mands birthday Friday so a good way to spend it...
See you @ Lincoln hopefully.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cautious:

Plan your route well. We spent a few months in Cornwall, and it is oh too easy to end up on a narrow road. We have so many scratches down both sides of our van, even a dent on the pod from a low hanging tree. :mad: So many winding narrow roads and they are often very bad condition. Don't just follow your nose. This way lies lots of polishing and bad language! :eek:

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I was thinking of Turning off the M5 & following the A361 & A39 so hopefully nothing to narrow.
I remember my dad taking us down some diddy roads when I was a teen.

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Sounds more like a tour of North Devon to me. At least you aren't taking on the North Devon link road on a summer Saturday. Enjoy !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Expect some of the coastal sites to be busy and possibly full. We are off to Cornwall on Sunday and the site we are going to said they were full right up until the Sunday. This might have been just cornish exaggeration but it is still the high season until the end of this coming weekend.
However, a poor weather forecast will have people packing up early. :unsure:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
If you're going to The Eden Project then stay at Doubletrees Farm in St Blazey Gate. ÂŁ16 a night for 2 people with EHU and great facilities - even got free wi-fi in the reception lounge! Bus stops outside for Eden, Newquay and St Austell.

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
I was thinking of Turning off the M5 & following the A361 & A39 so hopefully nothing to narrow.
I remember my dad taking us down some diddy roads when I was a teen.
What's wrong with straight down the A30?
West Cornwall has been absolutely heaving for weeks, but the crowds have lessened this week. If you fancy a steak, try the Bolingey Inn, Bolingey village just a mile from Perranporth. Highly recommended.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
One or two "aire" stops you may like:-

GORRAN HAVEN ÂŁ6 pn N:50.24021 W:004.79151
PRAA SANDS ÂŁ8 24hrs (right on the beach) N:50.10388 E:005.39053
TINTAGEL 3 "aires" in the all at ÂŁ3 pn (best one just through town on right hard standing and grass in the car park
Brilliant "Britstops" in Cornwall

colyboy

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks Guys just what I needed as we arent booking anything just going to wing it (y)

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
In Cornwall at the moment was up at Tintagel and got last pitch !! on Monday (booked Sunday) but plenty MHs in the carpark
Now down at Eden Valley Park and plenty spaces (road to it very narrow!!!) But lovely site ÂŁ17 inc EHU
Going to Eden Project tomorrow then stopping (hopefully) at 1 of 2 britstops close by,Jamaica Inn sign says you can park overnight for small fee if having something to eat
Hope you enjoy but stay on the main roads !!!!

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
Heat wave predicted for early September apparently caused by a hurricane on the East coast of America. Temperatures in the mid to high 20's Celsius. I'II wait and see if the forecasters have got it right. I have lived in Cornwall for 25 years and still love it. But according to the EU it's one of the poorest regions in the whole of Europe. I don't feel poor or disadvantaged, I've been to parts of Europe which are so poor you still see carts pulled by donkeys. I watch the news on my telly and give thanks that I don't live in Israel, Gaza, Syria, America or the Ukraine, in the UK we have stability which counts for a lot.
I was so saddened that in the USA, a 9 year old girl, killed her instructor whilst being shown how to operate a Uzi automatic weapon. Glad I was born and live in the UK.
A country where children are shown weapons and encouraged to use them I find strange and bizarre.

Last edited:

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Don't go near Land's End as it has been ruined by Mr De Savray but just up the road is Cape Cornwall where you can park in the NT car park and watch the seals if your keen eyed enough. The Beach at Sennan is also outstanding.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006

TINTAGEL 3 "aires" in the all at ÂŁ3 pn (best one just through town on right hard standing and grass in the car park

colyboy

Where is the stop in Gorran Haven? Is it the main car park? (If so I didn't know they allowed overnight parking, hope they do as Gorran is lovely)

Praa Sands is great to stay at (for a car park), we stay there at least once a month. Car park is right next to the beach, the little cafe is great (on the beach) for breakfast and the pub is really nice (also on the beach).

Tintagel is great if you enjoy walking but ignore TomTom (this is a good tip in general driving around Cornwall in a motorhome). Take the A39 to Camelford, then follow the signs to Tintagel. TomTom likes to take you along a back road that is barely wide enough for a car.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,
If you are members of Nat.Trust (or EVEN BETTER!!! Nat Trust for Scotland) there is all day parking at Godreavy just north of Hayle. Surfing, seals (no, not seals doing surfing???) and glorious views.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Eden project was well worth the visit now up at padstow touring park ÂŁ30.50 per night !!!! Was finished at Eden Project too early to use the Britstops I had planned to use. Tried quite a few CLS and all were full or could not take MH over 6m got to one about 4 miles from padstow can't remember the name but turning into site was too tight for 7.5 MH + towbar bike rack so had to reverse almost half mile down single track was not amused as told them size of Mh when phoned to check availability
Here as boss wants to cycle the camel trail.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Lost gardens of Heligan are well worth a visit!

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Rob - were on a site just outside Falmouth right now till Monday.
Site full but were on rally field with plenty of space. No ehu. ÂŁ15 pn but it is tall ships weekend! Easy access too!
Pm me if you fancy popping along !

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Don't go near Land's End as it has been ruined by Mr De Savray but just up the road is Cape Cornwall where you can park in the NT car park and watch the seals if your keen eyed enough. The Beach at Sennan is also outstanding.

Too late was there Friday & got the Facebook check in :D followed by a night at Treen Farm with a mega tight lane to go up.

Rob - were on a site just outside Falmouth right now till Monday.
Site full but were on rally field with plenty of space. No ehu. ÂŁ15 pn but it is tall ships weekend! Easy access too!
Pm me if you fancy popping along !

Bugger.... Wished I'd checked in we would have joined you, internet access has been low. We are currently at Sithians lake & intend adding an extra night down at praa sands if we can find it.
We stayed away from Falmouth on purpose :mad:

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
We stopped at a smashing site called Timaru,just outside Wadebridge.caught the local bus to Port Issac. Road the cycle trail to Padstow.
Site was cheap no EHU,lovely couple run it and it's so handy to Wadebridge for transport.

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
Couldn't agree more, my Brother in Law, had his photo taken at John O'Groats and then came to see us in Cornwall. So we thought it was a good idea to go to Lands End to have a photograph taken there. At Lands End, there was a sign post near the free car park where people took photos, you know America 3000 miles sort of thing. The sign post has moved and is fenced in and it cost's ÂŁ12 to have your photo taken with the sign in the background. The car park now costs a lot of dosh too.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.

colyboy

Colyboy,

Many thanks for putting us on to Gorran Haven, even though we are next door in Sunny Deb'n we had never heard of the place. Just got back from a 3 night stop over in the car park and its a lovely place with superb coastal path walks and a lovely beach. Good loo's 5mins walk from car park and a shop that sells a range of fresh produce and a chippie............brilliant.

The Tinca's (we will give Praa Sands a go next)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cautious:

Plan your route well. We spent a few months in Cornwall, and it is oh too easy to end up on a narrow road. We have so many scratches down both sides of our van, even a dent on the pod from a low hanging tree. :mad: So many winding narrow roads and they are often very bad condition. Don't just follow your nose. This way lies lots of polishing and bad language! :eek:

I gave the van a day off today, to apologise for all the scratches I put on it yesterday after taking a wrong turning between Veryan and St. Mawes. The little lane I ended up on, with a Ford Ka right behind me, had brambles along most of its length that almost met in the middle of the road! Plenty of scratches for me to try and polish out when I get back :cry:

Lost gardens of Heligan are well worth a visit!

Yes, I enjoyed visiting Heligan although I'm not sure I'd agree with the info. leaflet that reckons you need a couple of days to really enjoy it. I ran out of time after a few hours and I reckon I covered most of it. I guess it depends on how "into" plants you are...and how fast you can climb some of those steep paths.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Am off to Pentewan Sands this weekend with my daughter and granddaughter aged 11. We will be using buses and trains for exploring. My question is is it worth spending what I consider a lot of money to visit lost gardens of heligan and Eden project or are there more interesting and reasonably priced options not too far away.

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Am off to Pentewan Sands this weekend with my daughter and granddaughter aged 11. We will be using buses and trains for exploring. My question is is it worth spending what I consider a lot of money to visit lost gardens of heligan and Eden project or are there more interesting and reasonably priced options not too far away.

Any chance of saying hello to you this weekend, and give me some pointers for a newbie?
Our local is the Ship inn, a moments walk from Pentewan sands (if you have not visited before). Food is good too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back