Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Not Carlyon Bay - that's St Austell. It's Carbis Bay at St Ives, 11-13 June. Be a good time and place to avoid.

Contrary to popular belief, we do have roads in Cornwall ! :giggle: I had a 7.4m A class which was fine to drive to most places around here. I did, however, downsize to a narrower campervan mainly because I like to drive in France and often seem to find the narrow streets in little villages when I'm not looking for them!

You'll be very welcome here when it's allowed again, and using Google Streetview before you leave like GAVLAD suggested is a very good idea. Enjoy your holiday! (y)
Whoops of course I meant Carbis Bay, old age creeping in again!

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I used to own the old Mill in the valley between trewethett farm and tintagel, we ran a restaurant in the Mill house and encouraged visitors from trewethett farm to walk down for a meal and then I'd take them back to the campsite in my car, the footpath was quite dangerous in the dark. Fantastic views from the campsite
Small World.

My Sister and family live in St Teath.
Other sister, Parents and Grandparents (all now sadly departed) all lived in St Tudy.
My nephew virtually lives at Trebarwith (surfer), he works up at the Tipi site near Pendogett.

Both my sisters and my niece waitressed at various times at The Mill House.
And over the years, we have had many family gatherings and 'lost' evenings there.

What years did you own it ? As I remember 3-4 changes of ownership over the years.

Wadski

Free Member
Dec 1, 2020
Oakham
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Hi Brains,

Small world indeed. We lived at the Mill between 1999 and 2009 and ran a restaurant from 2001 until the flood in 2004 which decimated the business. I'm guessing you're talking about the mill house at Trebarwith though? Our place was in the valley, literally a 5 minute walk from Trewethett farm towards tintagel. The mill house in trebarwith was great also and we spent many evenings there too (our business was very seasonal so we closed in October allowing us to frequent other hostelries :)
I remember our pet goats escaping one time and found their way onto the site CC site at trewethett farm, we had a phone call from the wardens to collect them (they had them cornered in someones awning)........
Later that week the wardens came down to us for a meal and brought us a bottle of "goats do roam" wine...lovely people and some great memories :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Godrevy C&MH club site is a lovely site with great access to massive beach
Sadly that huge massive beach isn't dog friendly though you can run the dog on the cliffs at Godrevy Lighthouse.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Hi Brains,

Small world indeed. We lived at the Mill between 1999 and 2009 and ran a restaurant from 2001 until the flood in 2004 which decimated the business. I'm guessing you're talking about the mill house at Trebarwith though? Our place was in the valley, literally a 5 minute walk from Trewethett farm towards tintagel. The mill house in trebarwith was great also and we spent many evenings there too (our business was very seasonal so we closed in October allowing us to frequent other hostelries :)
I remember our pet goats escaping one time and found their way onto the site CC site at trewethett farm, we had a phone call from the wardens to collect them (they had them cornered in someones awning)........
Later that week the wardens came down to us for a meal and brought us a bottle of "goats do roam" wine...lovely people and some great memories :)
Yes I was talking about the Mill House near near Trebarwith, I did not realise there was another Mill restaurant so close by, (especially as relatives live next to Mill Cottage next to St Nectans), I presume you had a few of their bookings by accident !
2004 flood, we were in Boscastle that day, and left about 2 hrs before the flood as "it looks like it might rain a bit...."

Wadski

Free Member
Dec 1, 2020
Oakham
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
I think there were 7 mills in the valley, we were on the coast side of the road, our driveway was opposite mill cottages (Halgabron), i remember a chap called Robin who lived in the cottages there....used to play spanish guitar at the Napoleon.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
well, itwas the programme last evening that has inspired the decision
That's the trouble with beautiful locations being feature on the telly - they will all be really busy, particularly if UK based is our only choice!

Even though across the water would be our preference, we are certainly blessed in the UK with beautiful locations!!

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I think there were 7 mills in the valley, we were on the coast side of the road, our driveway was opposite mill cottages (Halgabron), i remember a chap called Robin who lived in the cottages there....used to play spanish guitar at the Napoleon.
Yup. I know your driveway! looked it up on Google earth.

The Napoleon Inn still do (or rather did, in pre-pandemic days) have one man and a guitar on weekday evenings. Some good, some bad, some superb (but that may have been the Rattler ....)

Jul 8, 2018
Funster No
Another thumbs up for Pentewan Sands, stayed there last august and booked in again this august ,bus stop outside the entrance .Beeches car hire has reasonable rates and so helpful, good local eating pub outside the side gate,

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Another vote for Trewethett farm CAMC club site. I just booked it for some time in June. Been there before and did the “Tango” You can’t pre book pitches and some are spectacular, hence people swapping if they can ,doing the Tintagel “tango”.
Everyone walks to the top of the site at dusk facing due West to see the greatest sunsets Imaginable.
Phil
Someone posted on one of the Motorhome websites last year that they weren’t allowed to book particular pitches at Trewethett and there were some frontline pitches with stunning views but they wouldn’t let them have one rumour was that they were keeping them for “regulars”.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Someone posted on one of the Motorhome websites last year that they weren’t allowed to book particular pitches at Trewethett and there were some frontline pitches with stunning views but they wouldn’t let them have one rumour was that they were keeping them for “regulars”.
I don't believe that, if a pitch is empty when you arrive you can have it. (y)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Not true. I got one after someone was leaving. Left my scooter on the pitch after asking him. The wardens told me to do this. Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back