Cornwall, COVID, Life and All That (1 Viewer)

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
We're booked onto a couple of CL sites in Cornwall from Sunday 27th onwards. We don't want to exacerbate an already fractious situation (G7 COVID outbreak etc). Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences of visiting Cornwall very recently? Will we annoy the locals? Will there be hostility scooting about in our MH? We're coming from a low-risk area (Royal Deeside).

Any thoughts welcome.

d

OP
OP
DaveFromBarrow

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks :) I'm no stranger to Cornwall but it's the first time in a MH. I guess with a MH you're a moving advert screaming "I'm not from round here" and that was my concern. Thanks for replying :)

d

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2014
Oakham, Rutland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Cornwall is very dependent on the tourist pound, shooting the golden goose would be very foolish. I am sure if you behave in a sensible manner you will be fine, of course you will always have the type who through jealousy of the lifestyle you have chosen will give you grief, but this can happen anywhere,
good luck hope you have a great holiday

Jul 2, 2019
Rugby
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2019, folding camper for many years.
Judging by the chaos on the roads, the majority of people in the UK are already there! :rolleyes:
Having been there recently I can confirm this is true. If you are intending to eat out book it before hand too. Enjoy its lovely place to holiday. :giggle:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We got back from a CS near Padstow yesterday. I’ve just posted on another thread funnily enough. We had a great time. We walked and cycled loads. Padstow was very busy as you’d expect. Wadebridge was much quieter with really nice pubs and cafes. Thoroughly recommend The Swan. Very welcoming everywhere.
Masks and good social distancing even in Padstow despite the crowds. Didn’t try Rick Stein city as Nick doesn’t eat fish and although I do like fish a friend got food poisoning after eating in the fancy restaurant a few years ago. Ever since then, whenever I hear Rick Stein and fish I think of severe diarrhoea!

I really don’t think you need to worry, the hospitality industry seemed delighted to see us.

The Bike Shop Wadebride is brilliant as well.

We had a cream tea and put our jam on first which is the correct way to do it, ignore those weirdos from Devon.

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
We got back from a CS near Padstow yesterday. I’ve just posted on another thread funnily enough. We had a great time. We walked and cycled loads. Padstow was very busy as you’d expect. Wadebridge was much quieter with really nice pubs and cafes. Thoroughly recommend The Swan. Very welcoming everywhere.
Masks and good social distancing even in Padstow despite the crowds. Didn’t try Rick Stein city as Nick doesn’t eat fish and although I do like fish a friend got food poisoning after eating in the fancy restaurant a few years ago. Ever since then, whenever I hear Rick Stein and fish I think of severe diarrhoea!

I really don’t think you need to worry, the hospitality industry seemed delighted to see us.

The Bike Shop Wadebride is brilliant as well.

We had a cream tea and put our jam on first which is the correct way to do it, ignore those weirdos from Devon.
Back in the day a Devon Cream Tea was Jam first the same as us in Cornwall. It's only folk who want to spread it everywhere that do clotted first. 😉

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If you want a good experience here in Cornwall

Had an outing yesterday to TREVASKIS FARM, not too far off the A30, about a mile and a half I suppose

Excellent meal, and 5 star service, good value for money. In the sticks, wide roads getting there, M/Home friendly Car Park (bigger than ALDI in Redruth, and Lidl in Poole) Farm shop Butchers and Fish mongers that closes at 8PM

Inside, plenty of room twixt tables, not jammed in shoulder to shoulder,

AND! (yes! there is always an AND!) The dessert counter is 4-5 metres long!! AND filled with all sorts of lovely stuff, stuffed with cream and and and and!!!

Best to book.

OP
OP
DaveFromBarrow

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Many thanks for all the replies. Mrs Dave was getting a bit wound up and worried. Unfortunately, this thread has reassured her so I'll now have to take her with me...

We tend to chill out, fish and visit gardens. Pretty much eat in the MH all the time so keep ourselves to ourselves. I'm itching to get stuck into some bass!

d

Aug 17, 2018
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Corinium
Exp
Since August 2018
We live in Newquay if this year is anthing like last summer it’s going to be very busy, eateries and attacractions will need to be booked early. The tourist trade had a very good 2020 but all confirmed the visitors were very rude with little social distancing. It was like Benidorm but worst at it doesn’t always have the sunshine

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
We are pleased to see anyone who wishes to visit our glorious county (some say country) if they bring their manners, drive down our lanes responsibly, and clean up after their dogs deposits.....oh, and speak with the locals at sensible social distance! Those that do otherwise are not welcome!! 🙂

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Tiz the "entitled " we can't get on with. As an example, fishing village restaurant, has decided that there will be no table service, until the public get "freedom" out of their system. They offer take aways.
They have an excellent reputation, so can do anything up to 4-500 takeaways from 1600 hrs to 2100 hrs. Chowders, Fish&chips Curries, Burgers.. Phone only! You are given a ten minute time slot, if you fail to be there when your order is ready TUFFTITTY!
Burgers are made from the begining! you are advised your order, because of that, will take 20 mins!.

Saw a fella 1850, maybe even taller , berate the "front of house" because HE had had to wait for his order, foul language every other word She is 1625, She was very nice "SO WHAT WAS YOUR ORDER SIR?"
More foul language !
"come with me sir I think we can sort this out"
She lead him to the till gave him his money back , told him to go to Mackers in Penzance for instant service!
More foul language "you are f******g Pathetic" etc etc
"Enjoy the rest of your day sir!"

She looked at me, raised her eyebrows, I gave her the thumbs up , Chip off the old block!

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Tiz the "entitled " we can't get on with. As an example, fishing village restaurant, has decided that there will be no table service, until the public get "freedom" out of their system. They offer take aways.
They have an excellent reputation, so can do anything up to 4-500 takeaways from 1600 hrs to 2100 hrs. Chowders, Fish&chips Curries, Burgers.. Phone only! You are given a ten minute time slot, if you fail to be there when your order is ready TUFFTITTY!
Burgers are made from the begining! you are advised your order, because of that, will take 20 mins!.

Saw a fella 1850, maybe even taller , berate the "front of house" because HE had had to wait for his order, foul language every other word She is 1625, She was very nice "SO WHAT WAS YOUR ORDER SIR?"
More foul language !
"come with me sir I think we can sort this out"
She lead him to the till gave him his money back , told him to go to Mackers in Penzance for instant service!
More foul language "you are f******g Pathetic" etc etc
"Enjoy the rest of your day sir!"

She looked at me, raised her eyebrows, I gave her the thumbs up , Chip off the old block!
Tis a long walk from Padstow to Pigsarse😏

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We’ve just yesterday got back from two weeks touring Scotland and the outer Hebrides. Lovely, very few people, very little traffic. Lots of wild life. Ok not the best weather but the scenery and peace and quiet made up for the weather.
Our next trip is next month to Dorset and to be honest I’m not looking forward to it. I don’t like the South. Too crowded, too much traffic, not much wildlife, not much Scenery. It’s just not what I want really.
However daughter, son in law and grandchildren have requested our presence so that’s it. South we go. After the open space, lack of crowds, friendly people, plethora of wildlife and whisky, don’t forget the whisky experienced in Scotland Just writing this is making me not want to go. I just don’t like going South I guess.
I do have a motorcycle trip around Mull and surrounding area to fit in before the trip South so that will be to look forward to.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We’ve just yesterday got back from two weeks touring Scotland and the outer Hebrides. Lovely, very few people, very little traffic. Lots of wild life. Ok not the best weather but the scenery and peace and quiet made up for the weather.
Our next trip is next month to Dorset and to be honest I’m not looking forward to it. I don’t like the South. Too crowded, too much traffic, not much wildlife, not much Scenery. It’s just not what I want really.
However daughter, son in law and grandchildren have requested our presence so that’s it. South we go. After the open space, lack of crowds, friendly people, plethora of wildlife and whisky, don’t forget the whisky experienced in Scotland Just writing this is making me not want to go. I just don’t like going South I guess.
I do have a motorcycle trip around Mull and surrounding area to fit in before the trip South so that will be to look forward to.
You obviously don’t know Dorset at all if you think that! You’ve clearly only been to a tiny bit of our lovely county. It’s a bit like saying you don’t like Somerset after visiting Bridgewater in the days of the cellophane factory eddievanbitz will remember!

I am a West Country girl of course so know where to go. It’s absurd to say we don’t have scenery, we just have different scenery. Some of us like rolling hills with lots of trees. Small villages with church spires peeping out, country pubs, glorious walks through woods and fields. We even have nice beaches that don’t get crowded but I don’t think I will tell you where!!:giggle:

OP
OP
DaveFromBarrow

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
You obviously don’t know Dorset at all if you think that!
I tend to agree. Devon and Dorset have been a regular haunt for the last 10 years. I never get bored of the fishing, fossiling and wonderful rolling countryside. Going for Cornwall this time because a fave CL on the Devon/Dorset border was full - and is till September - so it felt like a good time to ring the changes :)

Dorset is kind of softer, and a little removed from the affects of the Atlantic but I'm looking forward to Cornwall which has been a favourite of mine since childhood.

d

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We're booked onto a couple of CL sites in Cornwall from Sunday 27th onwards. We don't want to exacerbate an already fractious situation (G7 COVID outbreak etc). Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences of visiting Cornwall very recently? Will we annoy the locals? Will there be hostility scooting about in our MH? We're coming from a low-risk area (Royal Deeside).

Any thoughts welcome.

d
I doubt the Cornish will be showing any more hostility towards Emmets than usual. :giggle:

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
We recently spent three days at Looe in Cornwall but the weather was very bad with high winds and rain so we returned home early but during our visit we never received any hostility only kind and helpful local people and traders. We have rebooked at the local CMC site to spend another three day stay at Looe in early July now the weather is better.

I've posted a few links below that you may find helpful. Hundreds of free to view web cameras are located around the country and by clicking the links below it will allow you to view real time how busy they are. Devon and Cornwall for years have been one of our first choices of holiday destinations and we are sure you will love it.

View web cam | Mevagissey Harbour

Looe harbour as viewed from our webcam - The Old Bridge House in Looe (theoldbridgehousehotel.co.uk)

Live Cams in United Kingdom - Page 1 (iplivecams.com)

The Mevagissey Harbour webcam has stopped working at the moment but came back later to view because it has a travelling camera showing lots of views of the harbour.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
BBC Spotlight tonight, the Gyilly Cafe owner bleating he has to close 2days a week because he can't get the staff. The Cafe is on Falmouths main Beach. Falmouth is also a UNI town. Hundreds of students live in Falmouth, and, he can't get the staff??

I posted a day or so ago about our visit to Trevaskis Farm, the service there was 5 star gold plated. As an example, we ordered drinks, the young lady asked if we were ready to order our meals, we gave her our orders, she left, and was immediately replaced with another young lady with our tray of drinks. They had staff coming out their ears! AND it was busy busy busy!

The Gyilly Cafe is in the sea front of Falmouth, a 10 minute walk and you are in the town centre! Whereas Treaskis Farm is in a rural setting, you need transport to get there.

Gyilly is paying the basic rate???? Trevaskis maybe a little more??

Pay over the rate, and you'll get the staff!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Was surprised on our trip to Bude and St Ives how many places were advertising for staff, probably every third shop!!
Also a couple of places saying shut due to staff shortages.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back