Cornish fish restaurant in Port Isaac, is named best in Britain (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Cornish fish restaurant "Nathan Outlaw" in Port Isaac, is named best in Britain. Anyone tried it.?

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Recently read Ricks autobiography. Very interesting, in a didn't I do well sort of way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Cornish fish restaurant "Nathan Outlaw" in Port Isaac, is named best in Britain. Anyone tried it.?

Not tried this restaurant, but can recommend a pub in Port Isaac that does the best fish & chips I've ever had. Comes with a perfect home made tartar and mushy peas:
http://www.thegoldenlionportisaac.co.uk/

We are not short of great fish & chip places in Cornwall, but this one we travel for :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm sure it is very good but you may need to save up before visiting. Sample prices are near the bottom of this page. Cheapest is the seafood lunch at £62. :) https://nathan-outlaw.com/restaurant-nathan-outlaw/
But we have a pub near us - the Treby Arms, which has prices not far off these - and it is always busy.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Recently read Ricks autobiography. Very interesting, in a didn't I do well sort of way.
I wont hold that against him he has done much for Cornwall and Padstow in particular.. I think he could afford to stop charging for his fish shop condiments though...:)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Had ricks fish and chips and very good they were too, but don't think you will find any as good as the harbour fish shop in Whitby.
Whitby is ok if you don't mind queuing:)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Nathan used to have a mich * in Fowey we have eaten there, few years back mind, and he was good. I thought he had a place at Rock.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Nathan used to have a mich * in Fowey we have eaten there, few years back mind, and he was good. I thought he had a place at Rock.

The the restaurant at The Endoc Hotel in Rock is no longer run by Nathan Outlaw it's been taken over by James Nathan who won Master Chef in 2008. We eat there when it was Nathan Outlaws and I have had better. We prefer Rick Steins in Sandbanks but we have also tried the one in Padstow.

Rick Steins in Sandbanks is dog friendly in the bar and they are happy to serve you coffee with your four legged friend in tow which is more than can be said for the coffee house next door. NO DOGS unless you are a regular and then they are allowed to sit at the table next to you and slobber all over it :mad:

Fish and Chips at Rick Steins is very nice and from memory about £16.50

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Rather have nice piece of cod straight off sons boat at brixham no cost

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I bet its all ponced up food served on pieces of wood with the chips in twee little silver buckets, lined with fake newspaper:rolleyes:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
In Cornwall?

On the A390? Anywhere near Hewas Water? Find your way to Griggs Farm Shop (signposted turn off by the car sales)

One of the Best F&C in the southwest! at reasonable prices!, lovely setting, rural views too. Proper Restaurant, licensed too.

As a matter of fact, being an aficionado of F&C, I will say this place serves the best bloody chips in Cornwall. Golden and crispy on the outside fluffy on the inside, none of this twice/three times cooked bollacks either

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
for 60 pounds you could have 12 hours proper fishing out of brixham with my sons top charter boat keep what you catch

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Went to Nathan Outlaws when he was in Fowey, many years ago, often used to say "evening" to him when he was stood in the street outside, late at night looking exhausted and having a pint and a cig, we took the plunge, never having fine dined before, think it cost us £150, it was the best and most memorable meal we have ever had, his staff were wonderful really attentive and brought numerous tasters from the chef between courses, he was pretty unheard of at the time, we really felt that we were spoilt and left a good tip too. We have banged on about that meal for years. I am really pleased he has won this. Think he is much more serious than celebrity.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
... none of this twice/three times cooked bollacks...
Are they a local delicacy? I would have thought stir fried bollacks would be nicer. Or perhaps Bollocks en Croûte - wrapped in puff pastry perhaps? :)
Do they harvest them from tourists?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I'm sure it is very good but you may need to save up before visiting. Sample prices are near the bottom of this page. Cheapest is the seafood lunch at £62. :) https://nathan-outlaw.com/restaurant-nathan-outlaw/
But we have a pub near us - the Treby Arms, which has prices not far off these - and it is always busy.
The Treby Arms 'was' (don't know now) cheffed by a winner from Masterchef.
The bloke seemed to be sponsored, as a result of his win, by a silent backer and now they've got a few restaurants, in pubs across Cornwall.
Having said that, like Outlaw and Stein, he can't be in Every kitchen with his name above the door.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Treby Arms 'was' (don't know now) cheffed by a winner from Masterchef.
The bloke seemed to be sponsored, as a result of his win, by a silent backer and now they've got a few restaurants, in pubs across Cornwall.
Having said that, like Outlaw and Stein, he can't be in Every kitchen with his name above the door.
Anton the chef is still there as, far as I know. I didn't know he had other places.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Anton the chef is still there as, far as I know. I didn't know he had other places.
It would appear he ain't there now.
<Broken link removed>

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It would appear he ain't there now.
<Broken link removed>
My excuse for not being up on the gossip is I haven't been there this year. :) We tend to eat at the Miners' Arms at nearby Hemerdon. :)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
My excuse for not being up on the gossip is I haven't been there this year. :) We tend to eat at the Miners' Arms at nearby Hemerdon. :)

No worries John,
Haute cuisine isn't my bag but I get informed by SWMBO.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back