Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
Could I ask peoples opinions as to the robustness of Corelle dining ware please? We have been using the same old melamine stuff since we started tugging 20 years ago. Now we have a motorhome, I think its time for an upgrade!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Did you buy the melamine in Scandinavia ? We have a set of Danish melamine mugs and plates that we bought while camping there in the 70s. Check them out on the internet: you might be as surprised as I was by what they are selling for now.

Bought in the UK, we lived in London then so now thinking where from?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
might change when we get a new van as had the melamine stuff for years and a bit worn..any links to where best to get it plse?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
might change when we get a new van as had the melamine stuff for years and a bit worn..any links to where best to get it plse?

Argos have quite a decent selection. I'm sure some of it might be a bit cheaper elsewhere but for convenience...

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No

Buy an Autosleeper motorhome ! The Autosleeper trademark crockery has been replaced with ( good quality) Melamine in a natty cold bag. Ours is currently in the loft, unopened.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
Took delivery of our Corelle dishes today, will road test next weekend!

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Ikea in Southampton had dinner plates and cereal bowls for 50p, described as tempered glass, seemed much like my plain white corelle, at that price worth a punt perhaps.

Upvote 0

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have Corelle on our sailboat and they have stood the test of time brilliantly . We bought our set of four in Walmart and we added
A few serving bowls to it all at a princely sum of $22. Considering bringing some back next time having seen the price over here .

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Ikea in Southampton had dinner plates and cereal bowls for 50p, described as tempered glass, seemed much like my plain white corelle, at that price worth a punt perhaps.

There have been issues - see forums on the subject- with Corelle ware exploding as it is untempered glass. Has this been dealt with ?
Arcopal and so on is, AFAIK, tempered glass. They do look exactly the same however so perhaps Corelle have taken note.a

Upvote 0

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
We have just purchased a 16 piece set from our motorhome dealers...£55 which was the same as on the Internet for the same set.

I don't understand though, why the 4 mugs are just ordinary mugs (not made of Corelle)....anyone know why? They aren't even lightweight China ones but quite chunky and heavy. I had already bought quite lightweight China mugs anyway because we WERE buying melamine until I read about Corelle and I wasn't keen on the idea of tea from a plastic mug! The mugs I've bought are much lighter than the ones in the Corelle set, so I'll swap them.

The new dinner set is now sitting in our garage with our growing heap of accessories ready for the big day next Saturday when we actually get a Moho to put them in!!!

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Corelle claim that they cant make them and attach a handle apparently but arcopal and arcoroc( or something like that) from france are able to do it, we have a couple of asterix the gaul ones from 20 odd years ago when the children were tiny and although a bit faded they are still in use.

Upvote 0

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
I thought it might be something like that Carolyn, but I looked on Amazon and you can buy Corelle mugs. Perhaps they are too expensive (I didn't look at the price) so they just put ordinary ones in to keep the price of the set reasonable ??? :wub:

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Luminarc do mugs as well. Their Trianon range is the same as you get in Spanish China shops and French hypermarkets. They also have a range called Corelle which leads me to wonder if Corelle ware is now made in Arques as well. There is a factory shop there which can be walked to from the aire behind Beausejour. It is available online from places like Mahahome.com and is about £1.50 for dinner plate and so on, a bit more expensive than from shops.

Frankly, Corelle is grossly overpriced.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back