Copying Blu-ray onto portable hard drive on mac (1 Viewer)

Dec 9, 2020
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Since Nov 2020
Hi all.

Could anyone advise the software / method required to copy Blu-ray movies on to a portable drive using a Mac to plug into our tv in the van please?

I haven’t bought the TV yet, but have a PVC van, so space and weight are at a premium. The TV will be 19” as that is the space available.

I have a Mac, so PC specific info isn’t much use to me as I’m not going to get a PC just for this.

Just to clarify, this will only be for our collection of movies that we have bought!

Thanks in anticipation of your help on this.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think you may find this harder than you think. Easily available software to sidestep copy protection is no longer available.

Handbrake will rip a lot of the them, but most these days are copy protected sadly.

I used to do this a lot, but about 6 or 7 years ago the last to bits of software that could do this reliable were shutdown. Not looked at it recently but suspect things haven't changed much?

I am going to watch this thread in case someone know better than me? (fingers crossed)

Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
Hi, try this method It has worked for me Make sure you have lots of free space

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Getting content off a Blu-ray is another level harder than DVD
I got some audio off a predominately music Blu-ray disk but I don’t bother with the effort to get video too.

https://makemkv.com/ is a place to start.

Edit: the 1st in the link in Mark’s post

Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
I’ll agree with Gromit here. It’s not easy, or quick ripping a BluRay.

You could download them from a torrent site to get digital version. As you are the owner of the films, morally you’re safe, but still illegal.

If you’re happy loosing a little quality, and on a 19” TV I don’t think you’ll notice any differences, you could try and get the DVD versions, probably for about £1 each, people are throwing these away, and then get a super cheap and light DVD player, or a TV with a built in player. You will also find ripping DVDs a lot easier than BluRay if you still wanted digital versions.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
MakeMKV is a fantastic bit of software if you want to convert the media container.

I personally prefer MKV container format, but it is not a ripper as such and can't sidestep the latest copy protection (Unless they have improved it recently).
It can take out the standard copy protection but not the AAA title stuff as far as I know.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You could copy them in real time by using a HDMI to USB capture device I have one I've used on a pc I think the software I used was Open Broadcast I think it's avaliable for Mac the basic version is free.

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
DVD Fab is a great piece of software.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi all.

Could anyone advise the software / method required to copy Blu-ray movies on to a portable drive using a Mac to plug into our tv in the van please?

I haven’t bought the TV yet, but have a PVC van, so space and weight are at a premium. The TV will be 19” as that is the space available.

I have a Mac, so PC specific info isn’t much use to me as I’m not going to get a PC just for this.

Just to clarify, this will only be for our collection of movies that we have bought!

Thanks in anticipation of your help on this.
If you have them on Blu-ray why not take the discs with you. Most 12v TVs designed for motorhomes have a built in DVD player.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
If you have them on Blu-ray why not take the discs with you. Most 12v TVs designed for motorhomes have a built in DVD player.
But how many have a built in Blu-ray player :LOL:
Mostly written in jest from how you wrote the post, but also likely. I do think Blu-ray players will rarely be built in to a tv.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
MakeMKV and then Handbrake to encode the MKV copy. Works 99% of the time for me
Same for me. I've used both for a long time, with normal DVDs though not bluray. When we get the chance to have a dig through charity shops we normally come away with a bag full which I then put on to a portable hard drive. The most we pay is 50p each but find most shops are now 3for£1 or 5for£1

Only DVD I can recall that I just couldn't get to work was a special edition Poseidon adventure, the original not the naff remake.

The big thing I still can't seem to get to work is being able to watch films from portable hard drive on old iPad. Apparently you can with new iPads.

Shawn

OP
OP
nhamps
Dec 9, 2020
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Since Nov 2020
Thanks for your help everyone. I think in the 1st instance I’m going to get a tv with standard DVD player and a variety of usb, hdmi connections etc and see whether I need to bother with the blu-ray bit later.

We don’t watch that much tv, but thought with the longer nights coming we could catch up on a few box sets and movies that we haven’t got around to watching over the last few years!

Have fun all.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
MakeMKV and then Handbrake to encode the MKV copy. Works 99% of the time for me
+1. To save time you can leave them as mkv and most players will play them but the files are big. Best to re-encode for a smaller package (deselect the foreign soundtracks, DTS soundtrack etc to make even smaller).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back