LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you do not want to do as Sparky suggests, then I would be looking at moving the batteries to the garage to keep the leads as short as possible

And as mentioned, you will need a 2kW inverter to be safe, and for that sort of delivery you are looking at closer to 160 amp draw !!!

OP
OP
Ber090

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Hi I have the aviano 726 the 2 batteries live in an outside locker the 1000 watt inverter is fixed to a thin piece of plastic and wedged on top of the 2 batteries which keeps cables very short (12 volt ) and a mains socket run into van along with the remote switch to turn it on and off
Sparky, You are my HERO! Just measured and your idea will work. Absolutely brilliant. If ever anyone wondered why M/H Fun is such a great forum then here is another great example! Sparky, I owe you many Beers when we meet! Many Thanks !
Cheers
Bernie:xgrin::xThumb::xThumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A word of caution before installing the inverter in the battery locker..

I don't know your locker set-up or how it's vented .. so just a generally warning..

Broken Link Removed
Battery chargers, isolating relays etc, should never be installed in poorly ventilated battery enclosures..

The battery enclosure must enable fresh air to enter at its base. The lighter and warmer gas must be able to escape to atmosphere via unrestricted outlets at its very top.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thx Dave but my Aviano 728 is a nightmare to find space for the inverter. Only option at present is inverter in garage
Cheers
Bernie
Relocate the batteries to the garage as well. Use you new 25mm2 cable from the "new" battery location back the the original location and connect to your existing wires on the the old battery terminal, or better use a battery post. Pop Neg and Pos connections in a junction box.

That way you inverter is next to your battery's and your lower amperage demands are at the end of a cable run, not the other way around

Simples!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Word of caution. Garage is (probably) sited well behind Rear axle. If so be careful that the extra weight of the "redistributed" batteries does not overload the axle?.

Posted this and the realised others had spotted it too!.

Pete

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Posted this and the realised others had spotted it too!.

Pete

Nothing wrong with that. On any forum any single answer can be dangerous crap ( and often is on here ), there is a better chance of decent advice if a few people post the same answer or "Like" the decent answer.

Prime example of suspect advice right here, Jim picked up on the explosion risk of an inverter next to a possibly gassing battery.

This weight problem, so we have weight on back axle vs thick cable and light weight inverter. No brainer put the inverter at the back if that is the only solution.

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
One word of warning. When buying cable from "unknown sources" beware! you may not be getting what you think you are. Unscrupulus manufacturers have been supplying cable into the UK distribution chain that is under size, poor quality and we have also discovered instances of "copper clad steel" being supplied. If you know what you are doing check its resistance.
I would suggest when buying cable you check that it is either "BASEC approved" "HAR marked" or manufactured by a reputable manufacturer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think 10mm sq for the solar cables is a bit OTT, for a start difficult to get anything bigger than 6mm sq into MC4 connectors, also the maxium volt drop will be when you have maximum output from the panels, when you are least worried about losing a few percent. In the winter when you want the lowest possible volt drop your panels will only be producing about 25% of their max power so you don't need such a big cable anyway.

OP
OP
Ber090

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
:reel:What size cable if I put the batteries in the boot and the inverter in the Aygo on the A-Frame?:swear2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back