Copilot (2 Viewers)

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
The answer is no, your iPad has no GPS device, nor will any MiFi that I know of, so how are you going to get a GPS signal for Copilot to give your position on it's maps ?

I’d assumed that position could be tracked by mobile data. Or passed on. Or something. Apparently not! It works off WiFi, I didn’t know how different Mifi was. Anyway, no matter. I shall reconsider.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I think you will find that it appears to work on your home broadband WiFi because the IP address will give a basic location and maybe you have programmed in your home location into Copilot.

Try this link to see if home broadband can be located via your IP address.

Broken Link Removed

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
As far as I know mifi provides no more than tethering.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I’d assumed that position could be tracked by mobile data. Or passed on. Or something. Apparently not! It works off WiFi, I didn’t know how different Mifi was. Anyway, no matter. I shall reconsider.
Wont work with MiFi as others have said. Can you put copilot on your phone, or is it too small? i use CoPilot on my iPhone in the car, and its fine for me. Worth testing it before the trial runs out!

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
To use Copilot on an iPad with no SIM/GPS, one option is to use a Garmin GPS receiver that sends position date to the iPad over Bluetooth. We have been using it this way for a few years and it works fine.

The Garmin receiver makes a big hole in your wallet though...

Pity the phone can’t blue tooth it. I’ll give it a go on my phone, but most maps don’t work very well on phones imho.

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
Pity the phone can’t blue tooth it. I’ll give it a go on my phone, but most maps don’t work very well on phones imho.
I agree.

It appears that pretty much most mobile phones have both a GPS receiver and Bluetooth built in. So why isn’t there an App that will send the current GPS location over Bluetooth every 60 seconds?

I did start doing the research to build such an App for myself, but decided that life was too short...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I agree.

It appears that pretty much most mobile phones have both a GPS receiver and Bluetooth built in. So why isn’t there an App that will send the current GPS location over Bluetooth every 60 seconds?

I did start doing the research to build such an App for myself, but decided that life was too short...
Well for a start every 60 seconds would be no use at all, it needs to be basically seamless GPS tracking, and why bother anyway when a phone runs sat-nav software perfectly well or alternative devices with GPS included are as cheap as chips.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have had sat-nav on phones for the past 15 years in fact I have used nothing else, I think the first was an early HTC smart phone with a separate GPS device sync'd via bluetooth and a dodgy copy of TomTom, after that I went ligit and purchased TomTom for iPhone and have then been using CoPilot for about 6 years.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Join us or log in to post a reply.