Copilot update.

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by Manic, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +6,713
    Oh, perhaps I should add that I have the app on IOS on an iPad.
    I suppose the app may be different on Android.

Richard.

2. Manic

Manic Funster

Ratings:
    +3,070
    I know what you mean about the Caravan app not being supported, I questioned this and all I got back was download it !
    The Copilot GPS I have is the newest version but that doesn’t give me motorhome, this is what it gives me and speed in France is wrong.
    45120E96-FEA4-4CB5-B449-6496AD3CA8B4.png

3. tonyl

tonyl Funster

Ratings:
    +180
    Like @Clarky I have downloaded the latest iOS version, as I have just replaced my old iPad with a newer one which can take the latest version. The old one was limited to iOS 9 which meant that I was also stuck with an old version of CoPilot which is never going to receive app or map updates. Unlike you, I had the non-caravan version of the old app, though you could choose a motorhome as your vehicle and enter appropriate planning parameters. Therefore, I'm not surprised to learn that the new version doesn't have the caravan option for me, though you can tailor a car variant to your planning speeds, so it's no different, I suspect. Maybe I should try the support question approach suggested by @Manic to try and get an update.

However, in trying to see how much they would charge for an upgrade to the caravan version, I came across the 'How Do I buy....' section of the FAQ and it seems that all they offer now are 12 month subscriptions. That's a bit of a bummer, as it used to be a one-off payment apart from their traffic. I use the app as a secondary GPS to go with a Garmin Camper, so can't justify ongoing subscriptions costs.

I'm beginning to wonder whether the new version I've downloaded is a full version or just a trial. I wonder how you can tell, other than wait and see whether it times out.

Better not tell SWMBO about these issues, as one of the excuses I used to justify a better replacement iPad is that it had to have GPS for navigation purposes!

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +6,713
    Just done a little test of the new app to make sure it took note of vehicle size by plotting a route to a nearby industrial estate that can be accessed under a low bridge.
    The Car setting took me the shortest route via the bridge, the setting for our MoHo gave me a choice of two longer routes, both avoiding the low bridge. It seems to work as intended.

Richard.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  5. Two on Tour

Two on Tour Funster

Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
    Ratings:
    +6,758
    Is anybody running the Android version of Copilot Caravan on two different devices on the same licence.
    I wanted to keep a fully working copy on my tablet as a backup in case the headunit in the van packed up in the middle of nowhere but I'm loathed to fork out £50 for another licenced copy if it's going to be sat there being unused.

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +101,146
    If I log into settings/ news in My copilot there are detailed instructions on how to get a new app as mine Co-Pilot Caravan Europe is being Retired and the maps will not be updated. They are offering a replacement App but not sure about if the maps will be free yet.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +15,588
    I have downloaded the replacement app and all my data and setting were there straight away, I then downloaded the full Europe maps, all seems OK

Martin

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Two on Tour

Two on Tour Funster

Ratings:
    +6,758
    Just to clarify, do you have the app on two devices at the same time and can you run either device without swapping the license between devices to use Copilot as the Copilot website infers you need to swap the license over.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  9. funflair

Ratings:
    +15,588
    Use it on my iPhone but also have it on iPad but hardly ever use it, just opened it up and it automatically updated itself to the new app and now downloading map updates and I can open it on the iPhone at the same time, I don't know if it matters but the two apple devices are all synced on the same apple iTunes account.

Martin

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  10. Two on Tour

Two on Tour Funster

Ratings:
    +6,758
    Our van headunit and our tablets are Andriod.

I have downloaded Copilot onto my tablet and just finish downloading the maps and at present both the headunit and my tablet seem happy to cohabit together. (y)

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. Mike and Ann

Mike and Ann Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,
    I'm running an Ipad on IOS and just upgraded the caravan app and the replacement is totally useless. I previously had the car app and those old settings have been restored, favourites / recents etc. Lost all my favourites from a recent 5 week trip away that I had stored in the caravan app. Also there is no option to have a motorhome profile and the road options are very limited.
    I've raised a support call in the vain hope they'll do something about it.

• Like it Like it x 1
  12. funflair

Ratings:
    +15,588
    When I upgraded it backed up all old settings favourites etc and then they were all there including the same custom vehicle option.

Martin

13. Mike and Ann

Ratings:
    +13
    Guess I'm just unlucky. I'll see what support have to say.

Mike

14. Manic

Manic Funster

Ratings:
    +3,070
    I agree, I think maybe Copilot are losing the plot, the update to the new version does seem as good to me. I was surprised for them to give me a redeem code so I could down load the Caravan version when it’s no longer supported.
    I think I’m going to buy a Xgody Satnav when I get back in Uk.

15. Mike and Ann

Ratings:
    +13
    As I work in IT... if it don't work, switch it off then switch it back on again!
    I deleted the app, re-installed and, hey presto!

• Like it Like it x 1
  16. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +6,713
    See my previous posts.
    I updated from the Caravan Europe App to the new one and everything updated, favourites, maps etc. plus ability to set dimensions for several vehicles.

Richard.

• Like it Like it x 1