coordinates (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
is there two ways of entering them, we have been using them this week but sometimes they're spot on,others they are about 20 km to the west of where it should be. Same at pt grimaud yesterday,it said we had 20k to go when we here btw ,we are putting the right numbers in

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
On my tom tom there are 3 ways of entering,
Degrees,
degrees and minutes,
degrees minutes and seconds.
You can select which way you want.
I had the same problem when I started using coordinates.
Good luck :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There are (at least) three different notions for GPS

......a coordinate might be written 65° 32' 15".
Degrees can also be expressed as decimals: 65.5375,
degrees and decimal minutes: 65° 32.25',
or even degrees, minutes, and decimal seconds: 65° 32' 15.275".

I find the simplest and easiest to enter into the sat nav (least likely to get wrong) is decimals.. eg.. 65.5375

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
t
There are (at least) three different notions for GPS

I find the simplest and easiest to enter into the sat nav (least likely to get wrong) is decimals.. eg.. 65.5375
that's what I do,on France passion perfect, acsi , miles away. Do us a favour and try this will you please. N 43.1652 e 6.3457 . Is that p grimaud on yours

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Gives me route du baguier, bormes-les-mimosas on my Chinese satnav. Not port grimaud.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Gives me route du baguier, bormes-les-mimosas on my Chinese satnav. Not port grimaud.
Thanks for that , so what's wrong,it also says the site we are on now is 20 k away, tried it on google and get the same, does anyone else use acsi coords

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
strange thing is they both show more or less the same distance wrong to the west

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
In ACSI app the coordinates for camping les prairies are in the day mm ss format n43 16' 51" e6 34' 56" which is correct in my sat Nav. The ACSI book is in the van so can't see what is in the printed version.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
bugging me now, tried some more andthey are wrong as well,I must be doing something wrong but what!! Can anyone who uses the acsi book put me straight. Please

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
yes but when you tried it in your satnav it was in the same place that iget not p grimaud

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
bugging me now, tried some more andthey are wrong as well,I must be doing something wrong but what!! Can anyone who uses the acsi book put me straight. Please

The Acsi book uses degrees, minutes and seconds. If I select the incorrect option on the Garmin I would end up a few kilometres out.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
The Acsi book uses degrees, minutes and seconds. If I select the incorrect option on the Garmin I would end up a few kilometres out.

We use Garmin as well-it gives 3 Format options for entering co-ords,so,you need to select the one which matches the book you are using.
I've had probs in past when switching from Aires Book to ACSI as they use different formats.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Just tried you coordinates as dd mm ss and it give the camping site a few yards from the app coordinates.
So I think you are using the wrong input.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Make sure you input the easting or westing in correctly by changing E or W on the input screen - have made that mistake before and took me ages to realise why!!!

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In ACSI app the coordinates for camping les prairies are in the day mm ss format n43 16' 51" e6 34' 56" which is correct in my sat Nav. The ACSI book is in the van so can't see what is in the printed version.
so there is two roads of putting them in

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We use Garmin as well-it gives 3 Format options for entering co-ords,so,you need to select the one which matches the book you are using.
I've had probs in past when switching from Aires Book to ACSI as they use different formats.
thanks that's the answer then,there is two roads, I have been using alltheaires and France passion no problem, straight to the gate but this acsi was doing my head in trying all things,so I have to put all the commas and things in do I.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
t

that's what I do,on France passion perfect, acsi , miles away. Do us a favour and try this will you please. N 43.1652 e 6.3457 . Is that p grimaud on yours

I have similar issues having only just started using coordinates, but I think I can see what you might be doing, whatever answer we get to this will help me as well:D

Looking at the above posts, I think you have entered the coordinates as though they are decimal, but you have actually copied the degrees hours mins numbers, I don't think it is this simple, more conversion might be needed

But I could be wrong (y)

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
no icant get it to work,its showing further away than ever, I might add, I am using a Nokia windows phone with Nokia maps not a dedicated satnav, never failed before but looks as if acsi has done it in

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
On a Garmin you have to select the format BEFORE you enter the coordinates. As someone above has mentioned ACSI is Degrees.minutes.seconds. Choose this format and then enter the coordinates from the book.
It's a bit of a pain to have to keep changing formats especially when you are using multiple guide books which have decided in their wisdom to use differing formats.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
but then again google maps cant find it either

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
On a Garmin you have to select the format BEFORE you enter the coordinates. As someone above has mentioned ACSI is Degrees.minutes.seconds. Choose this format and then enter the coordinates from the book.
It's a bit of a pain to have to keep changing formats especially when you are using multiple guide books which have decided in their wisdom to use differing formats.
there is no way of changing how you enter it as far as I can seeon this phone

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have similar issues having only just started using coordinates, but I think I can see what you might be doing, whatever answer we get to this will help me as well:D

Looking at the above posts, I think you have entered the coordinates as though they are decimal, but you have actually copied the degrees hours mins numbers, I don't think it is this simple, more conversion might be needed

But I could be wrong (y)

Yes it does and no you arent.

When entered in different formats the numbers are very different.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I use google earth and place the cursor exactly where i want to be....usually the entrance to a destination....then copy the coords to tomtom in the same format.

Never put me in the wrong place yet and far more reliable then street address or postcode.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I use google earth and place the cursor exactly where i want to be....usually the entrance to a destination....then copy the coords to tomtom in the same format.

Never put me in the wrong place yet and far more reliable then street address or postcode.

likewise John.. and it will be within a few feet.. (y)

for those who don't know how to get the Goggle co-ords,

* place cursor over point on the map,
* right click, then on drop down box
* click on 'what's here' and the co-ords come up in the map address bar..

I would also suggest using Google Classic Maps.. the new Google maps are crap to use.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
likewise John.. and it will be within a few feet.. (y)

for those who don't know how to get the Goggle co-ords,

* place cursor over point on the map,
* right click, then on drop down box
* click on 'what's here' and the co-ords come up in the map address bar..

I would also suggest using Google Classic Maps.. the new Google maps are crap to use.
On the full version on my laptop the coords are displayed at the bottom of the screen as a matter of course.
On my tablet with the chopped version there is no way of displaying anything other than the map and destination pointer.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
On the full version on my laptop the coords are displayed at the bottom of the screen as a matter of course.
On my tablet with the chopped version there is no way of displaying anything other than the map and destination pointer.

must have a different version to me..don't see co-ords on mine.. got a link ?

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

Not only are they displayed as said.it is possible to have them displayed in the Format of your choice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back