chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
all very well if you know where you are going, you don't need a satnav then, but if you are out in the middle of France looking in a book at where you are going to find a site that you havnt got a clue as to where it is ,is a different matter and you are trusting a satnav, as it happened yesterday it was taking us right past the site and said we had 20 km to go but we were looking for it by the other directions in the book

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
'as said' doesn't work for me.. can you explain how ?
Sorry Jim,I'm running latest Google Earth via Win8.1 on my desktop and,without me doing anything the co-0rds are at bottom of screen on right.If I move the cursor the co-ords change. I don't know 'how' or 'why' it just 'is' and as far back as I can remember has always been like that. (y)
Maybe there's a box to check saying summat like 'display coordinates'

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
My TomTom accepts any format without changing anything,as long as I put the commas etc in as needed.We have used all the different formats & the only time we had a problem was because of my inputing error.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We used ACSI co ordinates whilst in France/Spain recently for 2 weeks, stayed on Aires and campsites every night and the sat nav took us straight to the places that was in the book... never had any problems.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sorry Jim,I'm running latest Google Earth via Win8.1 on my desktop and,without me doing anything the co-0rds are at bottom of screen on right.If I move the cursor the co-ords change. I don't know 'how' or 'why' it just 'is' and as far back as I can remember has always been like that. (y)
Maybe there's a box to check saying summat like 'display coordinates'

Win 8 .. ah ha ok..(y)

that maybe explains why I don't see it.. and am unlikely to, as I wouldn't be havin' W8 in a gift

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Choose the deg, mins, seconds in the settings menu before entering the numbers, don't forget to change back for the other books. Camperstop and all the aires use different formats as well.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Win 8 .. ah ha ok..(y)

that maybe explains why I don't see it.. and am unlikely to, as I wouldn't be havin' W8 in a gift

Not to muddy the waters :LOL: but it's exactly the same on my laptop which runs win7.
I'm running Win8 cos Microsoft threatened to close me down if I didn't replace my 'crack' version of Win7 with a bona fide copy of Win8 :LOL:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
opened up a rate can o worms ant it.never bothered with them before just thought they were all the same and easy but this phone wont take these acsi ones at all, the alltheaires ones look similar and I can get them to work with a bit of jigeling and the fp no problem but these, no way . The north south line seems ok its the east one is about twenty k out

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
opened up a rate can o worms ant it.never bothered with them before just thought they were all the same and easy but this phone wont take these acsi ones at all, the alltheaires ones look similar and I can get them to work with a bit of jigeling and the fp no problem but these, no way . The north south line seems ok its the east one is about twenty k out

Once you sort out how to use co-ords it's the best way to go.
Also by using Google Earth in conjunction with the books you know exactly where you are going and what to look for when you get there.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
all very well if you know where you are going, you don't need a satnav then, but if you are out in the middle of France looking in a book at where you are going to find a site that you havnt got a clue as to where it is ,is a different matter and you are trusting a satnav, as it happened yesterday it was taking us right past the site and said we had 20 km to go but we were looking for it by the other directions in the book
Bit of a contradition here.......

You dont know where you are going so You are using a book to find the location, the book gives you an address.
Enter the address in earth and it will take you to that address, then search the area for a pinpoint location.
Then the coords are shown and enter those in the satnav.....you are now using coords instead of street address.

And your comment "all very well if you know where you are going, you don't need a satnav"......

I know where London is but without a satnav i couldnt find the Tate gallery or the gurkin.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
oh

ok.. I'm on FF, I'll try Chrome and let you know

tried on Chrome and still don't see the lat - long co-ords anywhere as you said ..

according to the Google help I am doing it the correct way..
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/18539?hl=en

Get the coordinates of a place
Getting coordinates of a place is different depending on which version of Google Maps you have. You can't get coordinates of a place on phone or tablet.

New Google Maps
  1. Right-click a place or area on the map.
  2. Select What's here?
  3. Under the search box, an info card with coordinates will appear.
SNP_87DBB577E4D5F11554254F8AE89421C4FBE2_3763684_en_v0

Classic Google Maps
  1. Open the classic Google Maps.
  2. Right-click a place or area on the map.
  3. Select What's here?
  4. In the search box at the top of the page, the coordinates will appear.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just started my laptop Jim.
Once its finished updating windows ill take a screen grab shot and post it here.....i'll also check my settings to see if i clicked anything to enable it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry Jim, cant grab the page without the bottom task bar but the blurred images at the very bottom right are the coords and altitude.

my settings are standard except i may have changed the display mode option to directX from openGL.

TOOLS

OPTIONS

3D VIEW

then right hand side top under graphics mode change to DIRECTX

my lappy wont run OPENGL mode

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks John.. now I know what has happened.. we are at cross purposes..

You are using and referring to Google Earth, downloaded software, .. that's a different kettle of fish, and works differently from Google Maps on-line.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
grab.jpg

i always use google earth for coords Jim.
as you say, crossed wires.

here is the screen grab without the task bar.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Classic Google Maps
  1. Open the classic Google Maps.
  2. Right-click a place or area on the map.
  3. Select What's here?
  4. In the search box at the top of the page, the coordinates will appear.
It also puts a green arrow on the map. Hover on the arrow & it shows the coordinates. Not immediately helpful unless you want to mark several places on the same map. Only the most recent coordinates show in the search bar, but using the drop down menu on the right (where it says Traffic on the screen grab) you can add back onto the map any recent places you right clicked on. Then hovering the mouse over any of them shows that point's coordinates. In this case, the green arrow showing the coordinates is not the same one as is showing in the search box.

upload_2014-9-14_23-25-36.png

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Like Jim, I too use Google Maps, and the decimal coordinates.

However, when not online I use Microsoft Autoroute, (a godsend) which like Google Earth, it displays the coordinates on the bottom right of the screen, when you move the cursor across the map.
I zoom in to exactly where I want to be, ie, entrance to the Aire, Stelplatz, or LPG station, etc, and enter the displayed coords into the Sat Nav, either as waypoints or as destinations. The MS Autoroute is great for route planning too, and you can progamme the Sat Nav for the route you want to travel, (using waypoints) rather than chance it taking you on an unsuitable route.

For the OP, using a converter, you can convert the formats given in the books, to give you the decimal coords for your Nokia

HTH, (y)

Jock.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know that this thread has gone on to other things now but only just caught up. I have found that the park4night app has got both lots of coordinates,which makes it easier,take your pick. Not got any laptop in the van, only phones and an iPad that wont tether with 3 so google earth and things aren't much use to us, I'm afraid but now we know there are two ways of doing its not a problem thanks everyone

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
However, when not online I use Microsoft Autoroute, (a godsend) which like Google Earth, it displays the coordinates on the bottom right of the screen, when you move the cursor across the map.

Likewise Jock, I used extensively while away for three years with little or no internet.. as you say , a god send.. but with internet now widely available the need is less, so haven't used in ages..

Sadly Broken Link Removed ..

Today we announce the end of another era, the discontinuation of Microsoft AutoRoute.

This retirement will not affect software already installed. Current users may continue to use AutoRoute to plan their travel adventures and will have online support until 14 July 2015. AutoRoute 2013 will be available for purchase until 31 December 2014.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Likewise Jock, I used extensively while away for three years with little or no internet.. as you say , a god send.. but with internet now widely available the need is less, so haven't used in ages..

Sadly Broken Link Removed ..

Thanks for that link Jim had no idea they were binning it(y).................bit of a bummer but as you say as long as you have access to the net less of a problem!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks for that link Jim had no idea they were binning it(y).................bit of a bummer but as you say as long as you have access to the net less of a problem!

yes, it is sad.. they didn't update for several years ..I think they lost interest in it..

it was/is easy to copy and pirate so they probably lost or didn't make money on it.. mind you, they make $billions from Windows so they are not exactly strapped for cash

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Same here Jim.

I often struggle to get online when abroad in Europe, so I'll still be hanging on to my latest Autoroute software. ;)

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back