Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
are you a waver, nodder or just damn ignorant.
i refer of course to the greeting as we pass each other on our travels.
as a motorcyclist and coach driver i'm used to giving a freindly greeting to like minded souls on my travels. however yesterday coming back from the south coast i was met with several stoney faced glares as i cheerfully waved at fellow moho's.
usually get swmbo to do the waving as we're lhd and she's got nothing better to do::bigsmile:

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
we're not wavers and I take issue with being called damn ignorant.

we choose not to but that doesn't imply ignorance by any means - we just don't see what purposes it serves

"ooo look - another motorhome - let's wave" errm - why??

do we go driving in a car and wave at all other drivers?? no we don't, so why do so just 'cos you're in a motorhome??

if it implies belonging to a "club" of some sort then I invoke the Marx rule. that's Groucho Marx, not Karl. research it if you don't understand. :Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I can understand some people not wanting to wave but If you see someone wave at you and don't respond, then I'd say that's being rude, maybe ignorant, but definitely being a miserable sod ::bigsmile:

Another Lesley

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
I confess...we are serial wavers. Wave at anyone and anything...
though the vehicle conversions are not always obvious that they are MH's until the last minute. I sometimes think we should have a waving hand on the rear of ol' Doris so that those we miss get waved at in retrospect. ::bigsmile:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I'm a dedicated waver, in fact if you've been rolling in your Mo Ho and been waved at by a blond in either a silver yaris or a blue bmw it's me....just forgetting I'm not in the van.

I love waving so much, sometimes we just go for a drive looking for motorhomes to wave at. It gives me a warm glow when people wave back and we laugh out loud if they don't.

We even have different waves...

Chicken wave... (leave it to the last minute to see who waves first)

Mexican wave... (Whole arm wave)

To cool for school wave...(languidly flick of the wrist)

Fellow autosleeper wave...(a wave of great enthusiasm)

Concorde wave...(like the royal wave in deference to a superior van) only done once.

Middle aged man alone wave...(cheery hand palm wave)

Jazz hand wave...(Friday night only wave)

Etc the list of waves is long my friends, don't knock it til you've tried it...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
If we see someone wave, we wave back but most of the time I'm looking at the scenery and Alan is busy driving!

It does strike me as a strange custom 'cos we never did it as caravanners.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I can understand some people not wanting to wave but If you see someone wave at you and and don't respond, then I'd say that's being rude, maybe ignorant, but definitely being a miserable sod ::bigsmile:

We're not wavers but do respond when waved to :Smile:

On the bike I'm the same will respond but not obsessed with dropping my hand off every time I see another bike. I do deliberately ignore idiots on sports bikes riding like dickheads as I have no wish to be associated with them, if they think they're that fast get a licence and get on the track, see what they're really made of. :Doh:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
i guess its a left over from the days when motorhomes were few and far between,more than ever on the road now, on motorways it is a no as they are too far away and if I am passing a frugal 50 mph = 40mpg and I am doing 65mph its too difficult, on highways some do and some don't and it does put you off trying when you are blanked

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I do wave

Sometimes I just wave and wave and wave and get absolutely no response.....

Then........

When I stop waving........

Someone will wave at me and it will be too late for me to wave back:Smile::RollEyes:

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
More wavers here.

Our daughter's always called it the "Sweet or Sour?" game.

Steve :Smile:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
are you a waver, nodder or just damn ignorant.
i refer of course to the greeting as we pass each other on our travels.
as a motorcyclist and coach driver i'm used to giving a freindly greeting to like minded souls on my travels. however yesterday coming back from the south coast i was met with several stoney faced glares as i cheerfully waved at fellow moho's.
usually get swmbo to do the waving as we're lhd and she's got nothing better to do::bigsmile:
You are the ignorant one.

Just open a dictionary to see what ignorant actually means :RollEyes:

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am a "Waver"...

but only in a superior, aristocratic manner as if I am greeting lesser mortals...

That is because I am basically a friendly guy but...

I'm in a Hymer...

JJ :Cool:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
:thumb::thumb:I wave I like to get that club like feeling.we used to wave in our beetle.a 1962 model.air colled.:ROFLMAO:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
We used to wave all the time.

Nowadays we only wave when waved too as being of Royal Disposition I think it's the lesser class that have to wave to us first.

What I do find incredible though is that being seasoned all weather all year travellers, when we see someone in the winter time they always seem to wave as we do, even across 6 lanes of motorway. :Smile:

Yet when the sun comes out and the Spring brigade stand too attention waves are halved.

Yesterday when coming back from the Yorkshire moors I was messaged on Facebook by someone I haven't seen since Newark show 2007 who was oddly enough behind me!!!!

Then there was BilltheDrill, Ralph and Bev and loads of others all within a short distance of each other. Be rude not to wave to another funster, or should I say well off the spirit to not wave to another Funster, so better get waving just in case:roflmto:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I always wave, unless they are going so fast I don`t see them until the last minute and then they are gone :ROFLMAO: I think it is a nice and friendly thing to do, enough miserable so and so`s on the road, lets lighten up, use to years ago when in a particular make of car or a motorbike.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Years ago I used to have a old red 8 seater Peugeot 505, it was always filled with our 4 kids plus half of the village, one evening driving through Bath I spotted a massive fire engine with extra long ladders, using the normal (for our car) refrain I shouted "everyone wave at the firemen" whilst manically waving..silence from the back, I'd forgotten we were on a rare night out, adults only in the car.

I think that might have been the same evening I lent across the table and started cutting up someone's steak mid conversation...

Way to much time spent with under 5's.

Sep 30, 2012
Frampton, West Dorset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We've only been motorhome owners since November and we like waving :Smile:

We enjoy our time in our motorhome, it's kick back and relax time, even if we're only away for one night. Waving just adds to the fun, it it, like somebody has already said, being part of a big club.

What's wrong with saying hi to some like minded peeps? :coolthumb:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Years ago I used to have a old red 8 seater Peugeot 505, it was always filled with our 4 kids plus half of the village, one evening driving through Bath I spotted a massive fire engine with extra long ladders, using the normal (for our car) refrain I shouted "everyone wave at the firemen" whilst manically waving..silence from the back, I'd forgotten we were on a rare night out, adults only in the car.

I think that might have been the same evening I lent across the table and started cutting up someone's steak mid conversation...

Way to much time spent with under 5's.

Been there, done that. My big car was an 8 seater ex-Tokyo taxi, great fun to drive! I've not seen another for years - it was 17 when I scrapped it and only did so as I couldn't get parts for love nor money.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I wave.
Nodded at each other when riding m/cycles.
Brought up on VW campers, everybody in a pre 1980 VW waves back, even beach buggies.
Waved at other Beetles when we had one.
Waved out of pity ( and got waved back at the same way ) when we had our 2 CV's
Waved at other buses when I drove a bus for a few weeks.
Waved at, sorry, seriously acknowledged each other with a flat left palm shown towards the windscreen at an angle, when I was a Traffic Copper.
Still wave at anything that resembles a motorhome coming towards me and theres nothing worse that a blank stare back.
Lighten up, you're on holiday, its a bit of fun!

Allan

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
when I first went to the races[horse racing that is] I used to wave back at the tic tak men because I thought the was waving at me. my dad gave me a clout behind the ear and said that's for waving at strange men steve:Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back