Cooling tip ... (1 Viewer)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Some vans with roof vent fans have that option ie as a blower or extractor just depends which way you turn fan round easy cost free test for some

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Australian version , put fan at bottom of window blowing into room
when night air , this allows the hotter air , which of course rises, upto ceiling and travels across hottest part of room to escape out of top window, you also get effect of draught cooling that passes you
whereas the NZ option above is so diffused that its having almost no effect in that way :)
Another cheap cooler is place fan behind wet tea towel that is hung on drying rack , or between two chairs , fan on Max you get evaporative coolling off towel . Have window open or you just get high humidity :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Was so hot last night I dug out my old fan, one of the vanes broken and no front safety mesh. Sounded like a jet prepairing for take off with a stone being whizzed round somewhere. Took me ages to find it and less than a minute to realise it should have been dumped long ago. couldn't find my hot water bottle either to fill with cold water. We have velux windows and I dont like opening it too wide, scared of what the police helicopter might see it it flies over the house :eek:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
You don't immediately feel the benefit as the air isn't blowing over you, but it should bring the overall air temperature down.

My house has a Velux in the upstairs hallway. A brilliant way to cool down the whole house when I get back from work is open the patio door on the ground floor (which is in shade in the evenings), open the Velux on the top floor and use a nice big fan pointed at a jaunty angle out the Velux. It creates a nice chimney effect, drawing cold air in downstairs and letting the warmer air rise up through the house and vent out the roof. I got a 6C air temperature drop in less than 15 minutes last week.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It works - or at least an Omnivent does when set to extract. Cool air is drawn in through open windows.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
@Guigsy good idea but our stairs face a barely opening window. If we get gusts of wind the bedroom doors bang about if windows and pateo doors open, but when it is windy enough to do this the heat in the bedroom is not usually a problem.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Beware the "loft conversion" If the roof is not insulated PROPERLY!. Just the usual squirt of foam and some insulation board, a couple or three Velux windows, then, in this weather we are experiencing at the mo, it will be as hot as the hobs of hell.
Even in winter, heat rises, who opens the Velux in winter? Not only will it be uncomfortable to sleep, cooking smells will pervade.
We did a Loft Conversion in our first house in the UK, in Penryn.
The builder came the old smart arse, he got the message the first day, and my nieces hubby and I did the job instead. Just an example of the clown we gave the flick, he was going to lay flooring on the ceiling battens! We used 8x6 s ! over the battens before we laid the floor. We also used the stuff (buggered if I can remember the name of it) used in space craft for insulation, tiz only 1 1/2 inches thick, as well as the 50mm insulation board.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Loft has been coverted for a long time probably upwrds of 30 years, so wont conform to the building regulations now, but did when it was built. It is not particularly cold in winter, and we don't have central heating upstairs.
@papjohn have plenty of bricks in the garden thanks. always smile when i see your forum name as John is Papa John to my grandkids.

Eenansue

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Brizzle at the moment
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Limited experience
Another cheap cooler is place fan behind wet tea towel that is hung on drying rack , or between two chairs , fan on Max you get evaporative coolling off towel . Have window open or you just get high humidity :(

Tis the Bedouin way (okay they don't use electric fans to create the draft but it's the same principle). And someone laughed at me when I said that on another forum.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
@papjohn have plenty of bricks in the garden thanks. always smile when i see your forum name as John is Papa John to my grandkids.

You never met our John then Sue... ??????

This is him when he first invented them and became very rich..

about ten years ago.. (y)

But he never shouts about it...

20170201-1128882138.png

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
@old-mo hope not was not impressed by his fare when we went to Florida :LOL:
I think I need to get out more.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can you précis it please - I refuse to give up my privacy controls to that behemoth Oath has become part of...
https://www.cnet.com/news/yahoo-aol-oath-privacy-policy-verizon-emails-messages/

Relevant text of the article here:

One particularly unconventional method championed by a New Zealand-based eco-warrior involves pointing an electric fan outside of your open bedroom window to keep cool at night.

He explained the fan should be set up just after sunset, when the temperature outside becomes cooler than inside your home.

Mr Lebo, who is originally from the US, said he learnt the trick from his grandmother who used it in New Jersey during the Seventies.

“Everyone knows about cross ventilation,” he told The Telegraph, “but it only works when the wind is blowing and then it works best when there is a direct route for the wind to blow through a home.

“What the fan does is, it forces cross ventilation, even when the wind is not blowing. A fan will also pull air around corners, as in our home.

“The overall goal is to pull the warm air out while drawing cool air in once the outdoor temperature drops below the indoor temperature. Fans use hardly any power compared to AC.”

Mr Lebo added that while pointing the fan outside the window may seem counterintuitive to some, it is a lot more effective than the standard method.

“The standard way simply pushes warm air around the room but we perceive it as cooling because moving air feels cooler than still air,” he says.

“My technique of forced cross ventilation actually cools indoor air down by drawing in air cooled for free by nature that is just outside from late afternoon onward.”

He added: “Just make sure the bedroom windows are the ones with the air entering! The outward facing fan must be in the far end of the dwelling.”​

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I believe the same principle applies in the Canadian fire department they have a huge door size fan to push out all the smoke and gases when fighting house fires especially ,

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There's nothing new there. It's a basic principle of air extraction that anyone with any experience of construction could explain.

The cooling effect comes from creating air flow so you need an intake point and an extract point.

It makes no difference whatsoever which way the fan is pointing as long as there is another vent somewhere (at the other end of the room ideally) for the fan to pull or push against. If the room or space is effectively sealed apart from the fan it will have no effect whatsoever.

Ideally you'd have 2 fans - one pushing air in, other other pulling it out.

The same principle applies without a fan - if you just have a window open but the rest of the room is sealed it won't have any effect. If you have the window open and leave internal doors open and another window in another room you will create airflow and there will be a cooling effect.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
@rangitira the space craft stuff is called tri iso and other names.
Not approved by some councils :)

Just curious what did you fit that was 8 x 6 was it floor joists?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
@rangitira the space craft stuff is called tri iso and other names.
Not approved by some councils :)

Just curious what did you fit that was 8 x 6 was it floor joists?

Yes it was the floor joists, and yes it was/could be a bit over engineered. This was an immediate post war Bungalow, the ceiling joists were 2x2, and this clown wanted to put the loft floor over the top of, meaning we would forever more have cracks in the downstairs ceilings, He had actually, when we were away, installed the staircase so that you emerged, bent double, into the eves. When we saw that, he got the flick! Instead of knocking a new door opening through a block wall he chose the easy option of a plaster board and stud wall.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back