Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I have a 2005 Ducato 2.8JTD and on Tuesday filled up with Diesel at a French Aire.

After that I noticed the Coolant Indicator Gauge was showing maximum heat and was in the Red area.

I stopped straight away and checked the engine system but everything was OK and the coolant was very cool. (because of the cold driving conditions)

Since then I have driven from Northern France to the Spanish border with no problem apart from this Coolant Gauge which continues to either show maximum temperature or just fluctuates between Cold and Hot.

I think it may be an electronic problem caused by filling the Diesel tank to the brim.

Not too worried at the moment but would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think it may be an electronic problem caused by filling the Diesel tank to the brim.

Impossible.

More likely a corroded connector on a sensor. Look around your radiator or anywhere with cooling pipes for a screwed in sensor with connector, remove, examine, re-fit. Pray.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It won't be related to the diesel. You either have a short on the connector, possibly caused by dirt, rust or water/ice - or the sensor itself is faulty - which isn't uncommon, especially in motorhomes with limited mileage per year.

Sensors are cheap and simple to replace, connections can be removed and cleaned. I would clean the connections first and see if that makes a difference.

Before all this happened, was the temp gauge over say the last few months static, or did it fluctuate when under load?

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
An easy way to check the temperature sensor, is to remove the wire from it, with the ignition on and the temperature gauge show drop to zero, if it does the sensor is faulty.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
An easy way to check the temperature sensor, is to remove the wire from it, with the ignition on and the temperature gauge show drop to zero, if it does the sensor is faulty.

provided you got the wire off the right one in the first place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I have a 2005 Ducato 2.8JTD and on Tuesday filled up with Diesel at a French Aire.

After that I noticed the Coolant Indicator Gauge was showing maximum heat and was in the Red area.

I stopped straight away and checked the engine system but everything was OK and the coolant was very cool. (because of the cold driving conditions)

Since then I have driven from Northern France to the Spanish border with no problem apart from this Coolant Gauge which continues to either show maximum temperature or just fluctuates between Cold and Hot.

Not too worried at the moment but would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.

Previous postings may be of help:-

www.motorhomefun.co.uk/fiat/11523-tempeture-gauge-fiat-ducato.html

Sam

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Sometimes its the sender and sometimes its the instrument panel. Shifty was unfortunate inthat his was the panel but I've cured several dicky temp gauges by replacing the sender unit on the engine. There are two senders side by side on the right hand side of the lump. Make sure you get the gauge sender not the ECU sender. Its a bit fiddly to get at but doable and the sender unit is not particularly expensive if you get it from a factor.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back