COOL VERY SMALL CAMPING TRAILER (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Check out this very small camping trailer.
We have two kids boy 14, girl 12.
At the back of my mind, wondering what we do when they get past sharing the roof tent in the van.
Something like this Tentrax unit looks ideal, very simple with great storeage and plenty of accessories.
Would be really useful to carry bikes or canoe.
What do you think, l love the fact its so small, never been keen on towing but this could be manageable.

"OVERLAND OFF-ROAD TRAILER — TENTRAX :: EXPLORE SIMPLY :: Lightweight & well-designed overland camping tent trailers for the adventure lifestyle! Overland adventure trailers | Hiker Trailers | Off-Road Camping Trailer | Off Road Camper | Jeep Trailer Camper | Custom Camper Trailers" https://www.tentrax.com/ascend

OP
OP

Deleted User
Means not changing are relatively small van, gives loads of storage, could carry our four bikes on top or even a proper canoe.
Added advantage of easy storage when not in use.
Base model is very adaptable, not even sure its available in Uk.
But love its compact size, would solve a future problem for us and give more flexibility.
Dont think its overpriced compared to other accessories we fit to our vans.
Every one's different.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
In two years you'll probably be down to one child holidaying with you, in four years none. Why not a couple of decent tent set-ups so when they wish to be independant they have the means?

OP
OP

Deleted User
Yes our Grand Canyon is four birth, but the time is getting close when my kids, especially my daughter values her privacy and doesn't want to share the poptop.
The other issue we have is carrying capacity , it would be good to stored inflatable paddleboards and wetsuits in the trailer and mount bikes ontop. As I've fitted a wheel carrier to the rear door carrying four bikes is difficult, two's ok but not enough clearance to fit four.
Yes the kids may do their own thing in a few years, but for the time being we plan to tour extensively if possible and thought this was a neat solution in basic form.
Most if the European mini trailer tents are to big and sophisticated which impacts on price.
I also like how compact this unit is and that it could be supplied with independent suspension to illuminate bounce.
IMG_20210815_124540_409.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted User
From what i can see their units are all to large, we dont need that level of sophistication, we really would find that set up to large.
Thanks anyway.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Looks a bit rugged for towing behind a van, it looks to me like it's designed for a very high 4x4 towball for the ground clearance , on a van the A frame would be pointing downwards

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Those trailers or a trailer tent are a great way to keep the van small for your regular touring and tug the trailer when you need the extra beds for guests/grandkids etc. . If you do this load the trailer to its limit so you have a chance of staying under the max weight of the van while being mindful not to overload the rear axle(y)

I'm a big fan of trailers. We used them all the time when three kids and the dog were with us.. They solve the payload issues and it's great to have a man shed on your pitch. (y)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Those trailers or a trailer tent are a great way to keep the van small for your regular touring and tug the trailer when you need the extra beds for guests/grandkids etc. . If you do this load the trailer to its limit so you have a chance of staying under the max weight of the van while being mindful not to overload the rear axle(y)

I'm a big fan of trailers. We used them all the time when three kids and the dog were with us.. They solve the payload issues and it's great to have a man shed on your pitch. (y)

Just wondering how a campsite would accommodate a MH and a trailer tent ?

Would you have to book two separate pitches ? I doubt they would agree that it's just a trailer tent and the MH is the towing vehicle.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Yes our Grand Canyon is four birth, but the time is getting close when my kids, especially my daughter values her privacy and doesn't want to share the poptop.
The other issue we have is carrying capacity , it would be good to stored inflatable paddleboards and wetsuits in the trailer and mount bikes ontop. As I've fitted a wheel carrier to the rear door carrying four bikes is difficult, two's ok but not enough clearance to fit four.
Yes the kids may do their own thing in a few years, but for the time being we plan to tour extensively if possible and thought this was a neat solution in basic form.
Most if the European mini trailer tents are to big and sophisticated which impacts on price.
I also like how compact this unit is and that it could be supplied with independent suspension to illuminate bounce.
View attachment 530201
We have a two birth Ayres Rock, we have a tow bar to place SUPs on and have also towed a trailer if you need to take extra kit with you just go for it, if the kids don't travel with you in a few years you can always sell the trailer but my guess is the kids will have BF/GF and will love to be able to come away with you for a weekend or so

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
As long as you will be comfortable in there while the kids lord it up in the van!!

How many kids get scared camping in the garden and want to go back in the house ....

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015

Saw one of these Penpods a while back - looked great

it may be a little too large for what you're looking for but for what it is, the price is not too bad, and has a roofrack system - prices start at around £10,000 (a lot I know, but if you are looking at touring a lot in the future it's much easier than the tent types) and a UK Co

penpod-1.jpg

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Wondering star sorry to hijack your thread, but I noticed you said you had a rear door mounted Wheel carrier. We have a grand canyon s as well and are thinking of a spare wheel carrier, could I ask which one you went for and was it easy to fit. The only one I have seen is a firm called ? Wheeliams .

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Our GCS is rated at 3800kg if I need to down plate it if I ever need to give up my C1, I will get a small trailer to compensate for loss of payload. Thinking of one of these, bike rack etc can be fitted,

Anssems GT 500 151 HT Trailer​

Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Could you use a standard box trailer for your storage requirements and something like a TentBox fixed to the top of it.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
That’s a pretty cool trailer . Did you think about an inflatable awning instead?

OP
OP

Deleted User
Hi golly, the spare wheel carrier was made by a French Company N4 who make various Expedition vehicle parts.
Available from a company called 4x4 works in Cambridge.
Took me a while to source and get delivered due to changes in delivery methods due to Brexit and export charge issues.
Basically instead of the unit being delivered from 4x4 works order direct from France to your home address within a few days you now have to wait for 4x4works to order enough accessories to fill a pallet which they then export from France and arranged delivery to you once it has cleared customs. A process that took around 6/7 wks in my case.
I did look at another carrier but wanted a stronger more finished product, i was surprised how heavy a Sprinter spare wheel and tyre is.
The cost was around £600, expensive but in my opinion worth it.
I fitted a new Continental Four season tyre supplied by camskill to a used steel wheel.
Carrier fits to hinges and has two brackets bolted to the door, this does require drilling four holes. The door skin is rather thin i added some larger washes and metal plate to help spread the load, may not have been necessary but it made me feel better anyway.
4x4 works were excellent, my kit was only supplied with one bracket but delivery of a new one was very quick.
I will look at the trailer you mentioned, i have emailed Tentrax but no answer as yet. I also up plated the van to 4050 kg, due to have VB semi air fitted by SAP in Doncaster in Oct.
For interest most UK Sprinters are lowered at build unlike european derivatives and normally the VB kit will not fit as there's not enough clearance. I checked with my dealer and it appears that the lowering option was deleted at build, I'm assuming Hymer vans are all the same, so if you ever want semi air its worth checking.
VB is a Dutch company that supply product to Mercedes, i really wanted VB as a chassis strengthening kit is added. Some YouTubers have complained of chassis cracking with other kits.
IMG_20210501_071824_776.jpg

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Means not changing are relatively small van, gives loads of storage, could carry our four bikes on top or even a proper canoe.
Added advantage of easy storage when not in use.
Base model is very adaptable, not even sure its available in Uk.
But love its compact size, would solve a future problem for us and give more flexibility.
Dont think its overpriced compared to other accessories we fit to our vans.
Every one's different.
Look at the Cabanon range of trailer tents, or a second hand T@b 320 teardrop with awning and cycle rack.

Cheers
Red.

OP
OP

Deleted User
The trouble with the alternatives is they are separate units in their own right with sinks, water, gas and kitchens.
Tentrax is available with basic tent / storage only, no electrics or any of the unnecessary items, totally not necessary when being towed by a camper with all mod cons.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back