Cooking with nonstick, Health issues (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
As a parrot owner I have always known that if you cook with a Teflon pan invisible fumes are given off if the surface is overheated.

Now this is fact, not hearsay. The invisible fumes can and do kill birds. Birds do have a very highly efficient breathing system which is a lot more sensitive to fumes. Thats why canaries were sent down the mines.

If these fumes from Teflon kill birds it does make me wonder about the effect on humans. We dont yet know the causes for many diseases and cancers.

We generally cook on stainless steel or cast iron to avoid killing our parrot. In a motorhome with less space the fumes would be concentrated so I feel that you should all be aware that you should not overheat non stick surfaces as we don't know the health implications yet.

Mr Milliemobile

Funster
Sep 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2014
Teflon, despite its link to long-chain PFCs, is thought to be safe, because part of the manufacturing process involves heating the coating to high temperatures, which gets rid of PFOA before the pan reaches the assembly line. A study published in the journal Food Additives and Contaminents tested 26 non-stick cookware products under extreme conditions and concluded that none of them released any noxious chemicals.
What has been reported from Teflon use is a risk of fumes from overheating pans, giving people temporary flu-like symptoms and sickness – known as polymer-fume fever. These fumes do not contain any PFOA and are mostly noxious to pet birds, so if you have a budgie or parrot, then ventilate your kitchen and don’t overheat your non-stick pans.
Cook on medium or low heat. If you have flaking pans, you could swallow a chip of Teflon, and while it might be medically OK, why would you want to? Throw them away. The rest are fine to keep.
According to The Guardian

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Whilst I don't disagree with your knowledge about Teflon fumes - I do think we're far more likely to succumb to other airborne pollutants than Teflon.

Best solution - eat out :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Beat me to it, one of the regular health scares been doing the rounds for longer than I can remember.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I think it is obviously an issue. Thanks for telling people.

I long ago got rid of my pans and bought either stainless steel or glass ones ... even cast iron MAY have issues.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Eat raw food - simples.......................;)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Heating cooking oil to high enough temperatures to cause it to smoke (roughly the same temperature range as Teflon breakdown) ALSO causes some interesting chemicals to form that you really don't want to breathe (or eat in great quantities).

Basically all cooking is a tasty but an uncontrolled chemistry experiment.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I'm not a fan of non-stick pans, I tried them in the MH but went back to my SS pans, you can get a higher heat and my pans have a thick base so no distortions!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have top quality non stick frying pans (not saucepans) in my motorhome and at home. When purchased the manufacturers clearly state they must not be overheated when empty because that could damage the non stick surface. After much use they have no damage or deterioration at all even after being put in the oven. This article has some useful information

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/coo...eviews/a17426/nonstick-cookware-safety-facts/

Cheap ones may be a different story but you get what you pay for. Having said that, I have never seen any reports of anyone being made I’ll by the use of non stick pans and if it was a serious heath issue I am sure the press would be all over it and the compensation culture being what it is there would by Court cases reported.

I appreciate the warning in the OP but am confident these pans are safe if used properly and not as abused but I haven’t got a parrot.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Aluminum pans are bad as well, cause Alzhiemer's, can't remember what cast iron pans are supposed to do to you..... Always follow the instructions, as with anything, there is risk if not used correctly.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Is it true that Tony Blair cooked with Teflon pans :)

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
At the last NEC show I bought a set of Nova Granite Line frying pans and can honestly say they are the best pans I have ever bought. The non-sticky coating is so good you cook without oil and I have to chase a fried egg around with the lifter to get it out of the pan. The outside is also coated with the same material and clean up is a breeze. The pans still look like new even though they are in constant use.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If I cook beans, our lass gives off deadly fumes :(

Last edited:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I'm doomed worked with Aluminium most of my you dont many sprouts in a thimble it might be better with a back peddling mudguard.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I have top quality non stick frying pans (not saucepans) in my motorhome and at home. When purchased the manufacturers clearly state they must not be overheated when empty because that could damage the non stick surface. After much use they have no damage or deterioration at all even after being put in the oven. This article has some useful information

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/coo...eviews/a17426/nonstick-cookware-safety-facts/

Cheap ones may be a different story but you get what you pay for. Having said that, I have never seen any reports of anyone being made I’ll by the use of non stick pans and if it was a serious heath issue I am sure the press would be all over it and the compensation culture being what it is there would by Court cases reported.

I appreciate the warning in the OP but am confident these pans are safe if used properly and not as abused but I haven’t got a parrot.

I was extremely ill due to a non stick pan once,, in fact I ended up in hospital !!! ( true)

I went out on a Friday night, didn't come home till Sunday night,,, She gave me concussion with it, as soon as I fell through the door!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back