Cooking with just a grill? (1 Viewer)

Leisure man

Free Member
Feb 19, 2018
Funster No
We’ve had to let go of the ideal MH we wanted to buy due to the price increases. We’re looking at a second hand one that has a small kitchen area with gas hob and a grill only, no grill/oven combi. Can you cook things in a grill that say oven only? We tend to get takeaway/eat out or stir fry and will get a portbale Gas BBQ/or outdoor hot plate so would the lack of an oven for winter touring be bad? Also we thought the electric hot plate in some helps if you’re always on EHU, which we would always tend to be needing a Cpap machine overnight. So would buying a portable electric hot plate be useful for hot drinks etc?
As a youth we had to survive on 2 rings and a grill in a tiny caravan. Workmate returned with a frozen chicken pie for tea!! We had an empty biscuit tin so unscrewed unit and with grill on we lowered onto tin with pie inside. One hour later golden crusted pie cooked right through.
Perhaps a Skillet pan or cast iron one with lid would do the same just slid under your grill. Worth a trial run.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We’ve had tec towers in our last 3 vans and all were useless and a waste of space we tend to bbq or eat out, I might pull the oven out and fit a combined micro/ convection or just a microwave as the space is other wise wasted.
D977E5CA-FB7F-47FF-9278-AE911D7B89D8.png

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
No. You cannot use the grill below a hob as an oven. It's not designed for that.
I'd advise you to wait and see what you need before buying things. You may have the funds (but why waste them?) but you may not have the space or payload to accommodate them.
We get by without a hob or oven and do not feel restricted. We have since invested in an Omnia, with silicon sleeve, but don't feel that it's essential.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2021
Stisted, Essex
Funster No
MH
Cipro 85
Exp
Since 2005
Hot plate outside (gas) for breakfast, and if we want to be more domesticated, Halogen air fryer (£35) which we have never had tripping problems with, roast chicken 40 minutes with all veg, or Chips job done. But must say we love our Cadak, Thinking about this we must eat to much?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Never used the oven in my previous van so specced my current one without an oven and have 2 big drawers instead. Much more useful, and one houses my original and simple Double Skillet.

Jul 2, 2017
Seagrave Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A CLASS HYMER B698
Exp
15 years
Ridge Monkeys are useful for reheating food, cooking everything from fry-ups to stirfries. They work on the gas hob so no need for ehu.
Absolutely use ridge monkeys all the time cook virtually everything in them best cooking kit one MH

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
Little point in asking others. The answer to your question is a question, what food do you plan to cook?
I would add, in our experience, the oven we had fitted when we bought the ‘van isn’t that good (common brand make), so if you are keen on dishes that need one don’t expect too much of it. We find anyway we hardly ever wish it was better, would rather have the cupboard space.

Jun 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1978
Back in the 70s, travelled in a van all over Europe and Asia, the van only had 2 burners and a grill, managed to cook most things including cakes, pizzas and a full Christmas lunch, no Remoskas, Ninjas or EHUs in those days Its surprising what you will manage to achieve but you'll also adapt to your circumstances.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
And ..... May I ask what on earth is a CPAP ???
No... Not blond just....a green.... frog... I mean.... French!
Thank you
Hi Frankie, happy new year.

A CPAP is a breathing machine for people with sleep apnoea, a dangerous condition that allows you to stop breathing as you sleep. Continuous Positive Airway Pressure device

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
In our years of caravanning and motorhoming we have never used the oven,just used a good heavy based aluminium pan with a lid on the hob as an oven.

Depending on you make of CPAP machine,I have a Res Med,you can get 'convertors' so you use it on 12v.
Just what we do . Sold two motorhomes with unused ovens ( except as breadbins) ! It sounds like you wont need it. We easily get by with an electric grill plate and for longer trips a safari chef portable one. The space where an oven could be is a useful cupboard
Cooking in ovens in a van is a very British thing, the continentals think we are obsessed.
CPAP is never a problem , 12v will be fine for a night or two, otherwise we tend to be on EHU,
I’ve bought an Airmini resmed, nice bit of kit but actually the NHS supplied machine works just as well just a tiny bit bulkier to transport.
Good luck, welcome to the forum!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
TheBig1 Oh OK ! I was tested to know if my sleeping time was good, my father had one of these machines and so has my cousin too. It seems to be genetic. But I'm alright!
Thanks for explaining

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
You’ve intrigued me, are the photos of the Nonna? ive never come across one, are you able to give me more info or a link? Thank you 🤞🤞
Alot of Spanish were going on about them, so just had to get one, they work well Janie makes me meat and potato pie and things like that, and the come out perfect, we like that fact it's aluminium so light and cools quick so you can soon pop it back in the drawer. 😎 Bob.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Interesting,we use our ninja at home more than the oven,do you use the large model? and obviously on Ehu? 🍻

Yes the large model. Ninja foodi max 15-1 with smart lid. Just done a superb staff chicken curry in it tonight. Very versatile piece of equipment..we love it.

Either EHU or via inverter if of grid.

Mar 29, 2020
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, when on hook up we use a "Coopers Multi Cooker" a very versatile piece of cooking equipment and can easily be stored away for travelling, in warmer weather we carry a "Cobb bbq".

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I wouldnt be without a good oven in a van ....fulltimer so to me its an essential.

Ive cooked full roasts in mine , but great even for warming croissants , pizza , pies etc etc

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
We’ve had to let go of the ideal MH we wanted to buy due to the price increases. We’re looking at a second hand one that has a small kitchen area with gas hob and a grill only, no grill/oven combi. Can you cook things in a grill that say oven only? We tend to get takeaway/eat out or stir fry and will get a portbale Gas BBQ/or outdoor hot plate so would the lack of an oven for winter touring be bad? Also we thought the electric hot plate in some helps if you’re always on EHU, which we would always tend to be needing a Cpap machine overnight. So would buying a portable electric hot plate be useful for hot drinks etc?
You don't say why you don't want an oven. Surely:
1 Anything you buy to use "as an oven" will take up a similar amount of space.
2 An unused oven can still be used for storage. Fresh fruit & veg. maybe?
3 You just might find that one day you'll be glad you have it. I thought I would never use mine but shortly after i bought the van, I was so glad of it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You don't say why you don't want an oven. Surely:
1 Anything you buy to use "as an oven" will take up a similar amount of space.
2 An unused oven can still be used for storage. Fresh fruit & veg. maybe?
3 You just might find that one day you'll be glad you have it. I thought I would never use mine but shortly after i bought the van, I was so glad of it.
They didn't say they didn't want one just the van they found they like in their price range doesn't have one.

OP
OP
T

ThinkingAbout

Free Member
Jul 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
The van wasn’t for us, too worn for the price and mileage, but everything is super expensive atm. we’ve figured actually we could do most of our cooking just with a hob, don’t need to make toast etc so if it doesn’t have one even a grill that wouldn’t be the end of the world as other must haves take priorit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back