Cooking on two gas rings, any hints, tips or recipes? (1 Viewer)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Still planning ahead to our new van and thinking of meals. We're not initially going for an External BBQ or microwave, oven or any heat source other than the two gas rings that come with the van (including Remoska!). We'll probably eat in pubs or have takeaways in the evening so it's only breakfast and a bit of lunch that we need to cover. Cold salads, cereal and sandwiches are an option, but it's nice to have something hot sometimes.

I'm thinking that a fried breakfast is probably not too hard to conjure up, especially if the meaty items are pre-cooked and just reheated in a pan and an egg or two added ... soup for lunch is a pretty obvious choice ... after that I'm struggling for ideas. Ideally they wouldn't cause too much splatter (can you still get splatter guards for frying pans?) or stink the van out for hours afterwards!

I've seen toasting racks that sit on gas rings and yesterday I saw some sort of sandwich toaster (it could have been a medieval torture device masquerading as a toaster though :) ). Any other cunning gadgets too?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I cook pretty much the same as at home but with some lateral thinking.

Oven cooked 'ready meals' use a large saucepan with a lid. A small plate or metal trivet in the pan, add water, place meal container on the trivet, having pierced the films, simmer for a necessary time, 20 minutes is usually enough but you need to experiment. Don't let the pan run dry just top up with hot water from time to time.

Pies. Take the pie in it's foil tray and put in the bottom of a saucepan, place the pan lid and heat on a low heat until pie is hot. If you've cleaned the foil tray you can pour baked beans into the pan and put the pie in its foil tray into the beans, cover and heat slowly. That leaves the other ring free for cooking the mahed potatoes.

https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/th...m_medium=cpc&gclid=CPaBt5yhkdECFRJmGwodUOoDZw

The+Camper+Van+Cookbook.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We just cook only have two ring's and a cadac
Looking forward to using the thermal cooker
And dubbel sckilet
If their as good in the van as thay are in the house.
Cooked the Christmas roast spud in it that we're Fantasticks.
We made toasted sandwiches last night in it brilliant
Looking forward to many culenry experiences in the van with our new to us kit
Bill

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back