Cooking Gas outside the UK (1 Viewer)

Pollik

Free Member
Oct 14, 2010
Funster No
One thing is certain is that this topic will have been done to death, probably many times! However, for some reason, I can't get anything to show up on a search...well, I am blonde!

At the moment, I have two bottles of propane (red) in the gas locker...probably calor (I haven't checked at the time of posting and we do use other brands in the house). Calor doesn't operate in Europe. Around various sites and forums, I have seen warning stories (Spain only allows Spanish butano), don't-worry-about-it-we-didn't-even-start-our-second-bottle stories, camping gaz stories expensive in UK, much less so in Europe) - my head is spinning!!

So, could someone either point me to a thread or talk me through what the present situation is?

We plan being out there for a couple of months and we may also try wild camping (on cost grounds), so I feel I ought to have the beginnings of a plan about how to handle it.

We hope to set forth sometime next week, and we just can't wait!!

Polly

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
two real options Polly,

either invest in a refillable 'gaslow' system or buy a french bottle and regulator.
available from most supermarkets in france.

i did read somewhere that to buy a spanish bottle you now need a spanish address but how true this is i dont know.

others may say buy an adaptor to fill your propane bottle at garage LPG pumps but personally i dont like the idea as it too easy to overfill if your not sure what you're doing.

enjoy your trip:thumb:

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome to 'fun'. :thumb: I am sure that everyone you ask will have different views on this subject but mine can be found towards the end of this thread:

Link Removed

Hope it helps but if I can help further let me know

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Depends on how big your bottles are?

If 6kg 2 will last you for cooking, one lasts us 6 weeks but only for cooking. If you use for heating clearly more will be needed.

The simple answer is a refillable bottle (Gaslow) although in Spain Autogas is not as available as in the UK. Plenty in France & Portugal so we always fill up before we get to Spain, or as we leave.

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi,
as others have said
1/ refillable --via auto-gas
2/rent a local bottle, buy a regulator
3/ there are places that fill foreign bottles (but not many, and hard to find)
For cooking alone you use little gas-----the 'fridge uses quite a lot-----heating uses LOADS.
IMHO----I would (used to) get a local bottle if you plan to stop awhile, you will get quite a collection of regulators---but will get refund when you return bottle.(on bottle)
Nigel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,
2/rent a local bottle, buy a regulator
-I would (used to) get a local bottle if you plan to stop awhile, you will get quite a collection of regulators---but will get refund when you return bottle.(on bottle)
Nigel

looked on the web and bottles in spain are now very difficult to buy

Butano (Repsol) and Cepsa both require a contract to supply bottles and a safety inspection of the property is required before a contract is signed.

To be able to have a contract for the supply of the gas bottles, you will first need to have an inspection of the dwelling and the gas installations, for health and safety reasons.

You will need various documents to hand in order to have your contract drawn up and approved:
  • Photocopy and original of your ID details (either passport or Spanish NIE number)
  • Photocopy and original of another utility bill from the same address for the Butano contract application
  • Certificate of the Technician who will have made a prior inspection of the installations. (You arrange this in preparation of drawing up the contract).
a first bottle will cost around 28€ including gas and the refund is 5€...10€ for gas, 18€ for rental.

spaniards who no longer need the bottle will sell it 'privately' for a more sensible price.

So...if you can get one hang on to it. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
I have seen repsol bottles for sale in the small adds in the local papers (english) and at boot sales, buy a regulator at the local ferrenteria or brico todo and your set up

Loddy:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back