Cooking a turkey crown in a slow cooker (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Wonder what Bev's turned out like? @Ralph-n-Bev

I'm doing a turkey crown tomorrow, think I'm going to do in the slow cooker too:xThumb:
Don'tcha just love this forum, it wouldn't have occurred to me otherwisex:-)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Love my slow cookers. Yes, plural, we have two!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Hi all you who use the slow cooker i really want to make better use of ours -- please give specific info for doing a chicken / joint of beef and pork using what cuts please -- the time these should be cooked for -- thanks -- Sheila:xThumb:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We've done the christmas dinner in the multicooker (similar to this one http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk...tortford-all-in-one-multicooker-prodst09722i/ )
We cooked the chicken in there in a roaster bag yesterday then reheated the breasts with gravy in a container submerged in the water whilst cooking the vegetables today. Perfect and not much washing up!
Is this similar to a remoska please? Been looking at them but at around £150, not cheap - would this be a good alternative do you think?

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Wonder what Bev's turned out like? @Ralph-n-Bev

I'm doing a turkey crown tomorrow, think I'm going to do in the slow cooker too:xThumb:
Don'tcha just love this forum, it wouldn't have occurred to me otherwisex:-)

It was lovely. I shall be using it for ever , from now on !
I had some cranberrys in the cupboard , dried like big juicy raisins. I put them in the bottom. Put some herbs rosemary thyme and white wine. Placed , well squashed the crown into the slow cooker. Put it on low when we went to bed. When we woke I could smell it! Turned it off around 7.30am. Left it in Slow cooker till around 12am. Put it on a spiked carver. Covered it with foil. Bobs your uncle.
Tender , juicy, mmmmm. Still juicy , just had some cold cuts. I also did a big ham and beef .
What surprised me was the Turkey gad coloured up nicely. Even though I'd not browned it. I used the stock for cranberry Turkey gravy too.
I also did the ham in the slow cooker today . Full fat coke, Few inches, ham in, few hours. Take it out. Strip all the fat. Bang in oven for half hour with honey and coarse grain mustard smeared over it. Mmmmmmmm

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I had some cranberrys in the cupboard , dried like big juicy raisins. I put them in the bottom. Put some herbs rosemary thyme and white wine. Placed , well squashed the crown into the slow cooker. Put it on low when we went to bed. When we woke I could smell it! Turned it off around 7.30am. Left it in Slow cooker till around 12am. Put it on a spiked carver. Covered it with foil. Bobs your uncle.
Tender , juicy, mmmmm. Still juicy , just had some cold cuts. I also did a big ham and beef .
What surprised me was the Turkey gad coloured up nicely. Even though I'd not browned it. I used the stock for cranberry Turkey gravy too.
I also did the ham in the slow cooker today . Full fat coke, Few inches, ham in, few hours. Take it out. Strip all the fat. Bang in oven for half hour with honey and coarse grain mustard smeared over it. Mmmmmmmm
Told you so

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hi all you who use the slow cooker i really want to make better use of ours -- please give specific info for doing a chicken / joint of beef and pork using what cuts please -- the time these should be cooked for -- thanks -- Sheila:xThumb:

Lots of free kindle books full of recipes!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We use ours regularly for casseroles and stews.. have done pot roast before but not tried actual roasting.. Will give it a go... I presume it won't give you crackling.

J H

Funster
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
We use ours regularly for casseroles and stews.. have done pot roast before but not tried actual roasting.. Will give it a go... I presume it won't give you crackling.
No it doesn't but strip of the fat and rind after cooking, put it under the grill and it crisps up, so you do get crackling in the end.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
One of our favourites when away in the MH is hot beef baguettes. Pop a joint of beef in the pot in the morning, any cut will do (but I like topside) and when we get back later in the day it is ready. Warm the baguettes and load with lashings of either onions, cooked or otherwise, or my favourite horseradish. Great.
Another favourite when at home is a chicken broth. I call it hotch potch soup as I chuck all sorts in - potatoes, carrots, turnip (par boiled); pearl barley, split lentils, mixed herbs and the meat from the chicken carcass, which had previously been cooked in the slow cooker, and gave me a stock base. Just season and make it as thick as you like. Fantastic on a cold winters day.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Omg - just got up and am drooling already :xrofl:

Thanks for that, also fancy the coke ham, think I remember a Nigella episode showing it but never tried it.......

I'd better go and get the turkey in :cheers:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
One of our favourites when away in the MH is hot beef baguettes. Pop a joint of beef in the pot in the morning, any cut will do (but I like topside) and when we get back later in the day it is ready. Warm the baguettes and load with lashings of either onions, cooked or otherwise, or my favourite horseradish. Great.
Another favourite when at home is a chicken broth. I call it hotch potch soup as I chuck all sorts in - potatoes, carrots, turnip (par boiled); pearl barley, split lentils, mixed herbs and the meat from the chicken carcass, which had previously been cooked in the slow cooker, and gave me a stock base. Just season and make it as thick as you like. Fantastic on a cold winters day.
I think I'm going to have to try taking the halogen oven, slow cooker and I was thinking about a multi-cooker mentioned the other day to see which we get best use out of.
We have an oven but no grill which I find I'm really missing.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I think I'm going to have to try taking the halogen oven, slow cooker and I was thinking about a multi-cooker mentioned the other day to see which we get best use out of.
We have an oven but no grill which I find I'm really missing.

Debs, I don't have an oven in my small van but it does have a microwave fitted. I carry just a slow cooker and a Remuska and leave the halogen and multi cooker at home. Don't particulary like the glare from the halogen and my van is too small to store large bits if kit.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Debs, I don't have an oven in my small van but it does have a microwave fitted. I carry just a slow cooker and a Remuska and leave the halogen and multi cooker at home. Don't particulary like the glare from the halogen and my van is too small to store large bits if kit.
Morning...yes, it's the storage side although we have a garage I don't want to carry kitchen stuff in there if I can help it.
So would you recommend the remoska then for grilling type cooking? It's such a lot of money,they never seem to be in the sales .

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I do really like the ramoska and it does a mean English breakfast. the new design is far better than the original but agree that the cost is rediculous. If I'm totally honest I probably wouldn't pay the current price. Perhaps a multi cooker is a better option.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Tooth Fairy

The Tooth Fairy comes out at dead of night
and finds your fresh lost tooth without a light,
she knows it's laying somewhere near the bed,
and finds out where , asking Dolly or Ted.

Under the pillow in the corner there,
Someone who will know says exactly where,
Assisted by your much loved Teddy Bear
She with your tooth, flies off into the air.

She doesn't ever need to use the light,
To wake you up just now would not be right
And while she's helping children every night,
She wants her little friends to all sleep tight.

The tooth has gone dear Isn't it funny?
Sometimes she leaves our good children money.
We know it’s true, as every night in bed
You're watched with care dear by your little Ted.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Tooth Fairy

The Tooth Fairy comes out at dead of night
and finds your fresh lost tooth without a light,
she knows it's laying somewhere near the bed,
and finds out where , asking Dolly or Ted.

Under the pillow in the corner there,
Someone who will know says exactly where,
Assisted by your much loved Teddy Bear
She with your tooth, flies off into the air.

She doesn't ever need to use the light,
To wake you up just now would not be right
And while she's helping children every night,
She wants her little friends to all sleep tight.

The tooth has gone dear Isn't it funny?
Sometimes she leaves our good children money.
We know it’s true, as every night in bed
You're watched with care dear by your little Ted.

Sorry guys should have posted this on the poetry thread
maybe too much ---sadly you can't delete anything after a few minutes

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back