Convex mirror glass for Velvac heads (1 Viewer)

D

dakar4x4

Deleted User
Having just started driving American RV's I find the flat main glass a real waste of time and almost useless once underway.

I'm looking at getting a company to make a convex replacement glass , I've got Velvac 2030 mirrors but I think the glass is the same as the 2025 models.
Drop me an e-mail if you would like to be kept in touch with developments.

barry@dakar.co.uk

Barry

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Having just started driving American RV's I find the flat main glass a real waste of time and almost useless once underway.

I'm looking at getting a company to make a convex replacement glass , I've got Velvac 2030 mirrors but I think the glass is the same as the 2025 models.
Drop me an e-mail if you would like to be kept in touch with developments.

barry@dakar.co.uk

Barry

If you don't have any joy, I have an account with Velvac :Cool:

OP
OP
D

dakar4x4

Deleted User
Thanks for that but as far as I can see on the Velvac website they don't list anything other than flat glass for the main mirror.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Quite correct, which is why they offer the Top Hat add on which is also convex, that way you have a variable view from the top and bottom convex sections and the flat area in the centre (assuming you have the 2030 with the max head). Otherwise you will have the flat glass with the convex at the top.

As an alternative, there is a place in Derbyshire (Ilkeston Glass, I believe they are called) who will cut any type of glass, convex or otherwise, if you supply it. Might be worth a shot.

BTW, Welcome to the forum - hope you will enjoy your visits here. :Smile:

petesam

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Funster No
convex mirrors

Hiya Barry@Dakar, I have fit 2 Volvo kerb mirrors ( convex) to the sides of my RV above the standard Velvac ones. They work well & increase rear vision tremen dousley .I advise you to keep the flat glass mirrors as they offer true distance for rear view objects. Regards Petesam.

OP
OP
D

dakar4x4

Deleted User
Thanks for the help & advice, I'll still pursue the idea of swapping the original flat glass with a convex replacement, I've got the triple head units and the two convex/blind spot units are fine and do there job, maybe I'm just used to driving trucks with convex mirrors.

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
hi linda.

long time no speak. can you pls pm me with details of top hats. no tails required, though.

des

OP
OP
D

dakar4x4

Deleted User
Just had an e-mail from my mirror glass supplier to say my convex mirror glass is all ready to be made, I sent them a complete head from a 2025 and they have made a template and jig to produce a direct convex replacement. I request a "gentle" curve nothing too much, all I wanted was the same rear view as a normal UK truck. And the best bit is the cost.......normal flat glass from Velac is about £40, the convex replacement should be about £25.....bargain.

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
I have now fitted the "top hat" mirrors, and am pleased with the result. thanks, linda, for your help.

des

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Des don't you have side view cameras? or am I thinking of someone else.

I got a top hat of linda as well for the drivers side, that with the two other mirrors get rid of all the blind spots.

Olley

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
hi ian

yes, i have. side cameras are great, but you just can't have too much visual info. have become used to decent uk truck mirrors, and am trying to replicate. the top hats certainly help, but still nowhere near the quality of decent trick mirros, but then again, they look good.

des

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Des,thought it was you but the old memory is crap, ::bigsmile:

How would you fit a convex mirror? the backplate is flat and contains the heating elements. Having said that in two years I have never heated the mirrors, so I suppose if you could secure the ends it would be ok.

Olley

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
From memory when I changed the glass in my Velvac mirrors, the heaters and parts to move the mirror are "potted" onto the glass in the factory with some sort of resin..... I would think that it would be impossible to change this over to new glass as you would need to break the glass off and the silvering would surely stick to the potting compound and so you would not achieve a secure fixing to the new.... But as Ian says, the memory isn't as good these days lol

Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back