Converting Wma music tracks to mp3 (1 Viewer)

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
i have something like 600 CDs which I ripped to a network shared drive when I was using Microsoft windows. They were ripped In standard MS wma format.
I have binned Microsoft and now all my computers are Apple which won't play wma files.
I don't want to go through the ball aching chore of ripping the cds again so can anyone recommend a utility that will run on a MacBook to convert the files to MP3 please. I know there are possibly better lossless formats but MP3 is the most useful cross hardware format.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
handbrake should handle that for you. It also handles queuing files up etc..

Please note that you will end up with conversion losses though no matter what you use.

If you have time, I would recommend ripping in a lossless format such as ogg at the highest resolution you can..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Another method (for Windows users) is to use iTunes.
Simply add file/folder (wma) to library, iTunes will convert the file to AAC (.M4A)
The converted files can be found in the iTunes media library. (This PC>Music>iTunes>iTunesmedia)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I thought you could get wma players for mac and ios devices. Could be wrong. I agree ripping 600 cds again would be a pain. As said above there are better formats than mp3. If the original rip to wma was lossless, conversion to alac or wav might be better.

OP
OP
makems

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Another method (for Windows users) is to use iTunes.
Simply add file/folder (wma) to library, iTunes will convert the file to AAC (.M4A)
The converted files can be found in the iTunes media library. (This PC>Music>iTunes>iTunesmedia)

I don't really want to convert to an Apple format in case I end up in the same situation next time I change technology :(
I think MP3 is likely to be around no matter what the next technology wave is.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I don't really want to convert to an Apple format in case I end up in the same situation next time I change technology :(
You may want to think again?
:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

I agree, I find mp3 to be wooly/muddy sounding. i prefer AAC for compressed formats and ogg/flac for lossless format. Lossless is best as it gives you CD quality copies at a small file size than Raw audio but without any of the compromises.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Worth a listen to the end. All those high frequencies are lost from an mp3 which gives it it's mushy/muddy sound.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
And DAB radio is mp2 I think. What I would suggest to the OP is keep a backup of it all in several places, including DVD and a cloud storage. :)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Like most things in life, people have their pet formats and brands.

MP3 is lossy, but how lossy is at the recorders control. Most FREE software will only record at very poor levels. Media Monkey will allow better MP3's. At the end of the day the quality is only as good as the weakest link in the chain and if you are listening to it on your Apple iPhone with your Apple earbuds then it'll probably sound great to you because you've paid good money for them and cr@p to everyone else (because they haven't) ;) I've heard some really bad MP3s played though an expensive BOSE system and the owner thought it was great ...

Personally I would not rely on anything cloud based. If the server breaks or the company goes bust then SORRY is all you are likely to get back.

PS I tend to choose FLAC but will still play the original record/CD from time to time :)
PPS Realplayer also converts to MP3 but I doubt it's entirely free
PPPS This one really does appear to be free ;)

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I used to think my ears were only mp3 quality ears but now I realise that they are at least ogg vorbis 320 kbs ears.

OP
OP
makems

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Thanks for all the replies above.
I am not bothered about having to pay a few quid to get the right product. A couple of the recommended converters above only seem to run on Windows. Whatever I choose must run on a Macbook.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back