Converting low or battery powered gadgets to work on 12 or 5 volt usb (1 Viewer)

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
If I can’t find an adapter to use my stuff on the vans electrics.
I’ve converted them my selfto work on 5v usb and 12v even though their not strictly supposed to, doing away with a box full of adapters.

The use of a multi meter helps to figure out the voltage and polarity of the lead and chosen gadget to convert.
Most things that run or recharge on 3 or 4 AA or AAA batteries or around 4.5 to 6 volts will quite happily run off of usb at 5 volts.
I've used the cheap usb phone leads you get from the pound shop as doner cables. Cut off the end leaving the usb end you plug into your adapter or computer and strip the wires and solder on.
Usually the power cables in usb are red positive and white negative .

With regard to 12v gadgets most things that use 10 to 15 volts can cope with the nominal voltage of around 12 volts.
The rewirable 12v cigar lighter plugs are easy to find on Amazon etc.
Somethings that have a barrel type plug just need a 12volt lead.
I’ve converted some led lights from 3 batteries to usb.
An old Philips razor lead to charge my new razor that the mains adapter outputs at 15 volts D.C. it just takes a little longer to recharge.

Just be careful of high current devices, anything up to around 2.5amps will work fine on the cheap cables.
Here’s the disclaimer, you do this at your own risk. If you break it it’s your fault not mine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back