converting a humax freesat box to 12 volt? (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
the newer freesat (freetime) boxes from humax have an external 12 volt power supply, were as the older foxsat boxes are 240 mains input only, so I was thinking is it just a internal transformer that needs bypassing to make it work on 12 volt?

has anybody ever opened one up?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We have the same got a 12v lead off eBay, sent it back because it would not work.:crying:
Thought it was voltage drop but on the batteries still the same, gave up as we are heading south, but they do them and it may have been faulty. Bob.

PS I should add the new one is 12v the transformer is up to 230v.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've not seen inside one but it's very hit and miss if this is viable. Chances are the power supply pushes out 3.3V, 5V, 12V and it could be difficult to feed the 12...14V off your battery to it. With modern kit you can hardly see the components to mod them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I've not seen inside one but it's very hit and miss if this is viable. Chances are the power supply pushes out 3.3V, 5V, 12V and it could be difficult to feed the 12...14V off your battery to it. With modern kit you can hardly see the components to mod them.

I was fearing that, I might open it up to look, but its time consuming to take it out were Ive wired it in, so I ll wait till I have more time. Ive got nothing to loose by looking as they dont fectch mush secondhad if I was to sell it and buy a newer 12 volt version. I suppose I could get a small inverter to run it but I was trying to keep it all simple

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I should have stated, I am confidant with working with variable output power supplies (I do this at work although the machines I generally work on are much much larger than a DVR)
If anybody is not qualified/confident with electric and electrical components the should NEVER open a device with the power on.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I do this at work.

Oh well, a quick prod around with a voltmeter will give you the picture, if you can spot one high voltage ( 12/14/20V ) regulated down you're in, but if it's several windings off a transformer it's all up hill.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Oh well, a quick prod around with a voltmeter will give you the picture, if you can spot one high voltage ( 12/14/20V ) regulated down you're in, but if it's several windings off a transformer it's all up hill.

that's what I am hoping
Thats what I am hoping

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back