Converting a French Registered Vehicle to UK plates (1 Viewer)

JTC

Free Member
Oct 19, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
Caochbuilt
Exp
I'ma newbie
Hello

I'm completely new to this. I inherited a French Rapido 746C (2008, LHD) from my uncle. It is currently short term in the UK and I'm looking at converting it to UK plates. I am trying to work out what needs changing. I know that I have to change the dashboard as it's only showing km (currently 3,400 and I've done 1,500 of them!!) and it must show mph.

I am not so certain on the headlights - I think they will need changing but not sure how to go about finding a UK Part number. It's identical to the Fiat Ducato Rapido 746F. Does anyone have any experience of this.

Also does anything else need changing?

I do know that I will then need to visit VOSA, get it MOT'd, taxed etc.. in order to get a V5 and make it legitimate. Currently I can only have it here for 3 months on its French insurance...

Help much appreciated - been away a couple of times in it already and it's fab. The headlights might be more clearly seen here..

Thank you :)
2016-10-01 17.35.25.jpg

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Welcome to Fun
I cant help but remember you can only post 5 posts or join for £15
Which is a bargain for the help you will get

Mel

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The rear fog light might need to be moved or add another so you have 2.

There is a firm mentioned on here many times that will make you a speedo dial in MPH so a search should reveal that.

The Ducato is a very common vehicle so UK type headlights should be readily available just be sure to quote chassis number, year, model etc. You will find an Ebay parts supplier much cheaper than your Fiat Main Dealer or choose a local motor factor so you can exchange them if they get it wrong without having the risk of damage in the post if you have to return them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
As it is a standard vehicle all parts to convert to UK requirements will be available. If you decide to just keep the speedo andchange the face at MOTs they will note the reading as kms. The best thing is to contact the DVLA who will be able to tell you chapter and verse. They certainly made it easy when I reimported a vehicle a few years ago.

OP
OP
JTC

JTC

Free Member
Oct 19, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
Caochbuilt
Exp
I'ma newbie
Thank you for the link! A lot cheaper than a new cluster!

Need to check the fog light. Looking at DVLA they say:

"That a rear fog light is fitted to conform to United Kingdom specifications. Either: a) Dual rear-fog lights are fitted, one on the rear left and one on the rear right of the vehicle b) A single fog light is fitted down the rear centre line of the vehicle c) A fog light Is on the rear right hand of the vehicle (either as a standard feature or changed prior to UK registration)"

I think the fog light might be on the left rear (so nearside) but as I haven't tested that yet so don't know. The reversing light (clear) is definitely on the rear right hand side so I suspect that the fog light is the other side. Just wondering whether one could switch the wiring from one side to the other and also switch the glass so the reversing is on the left and the fog on the right...

Just need to find the relevant UK part numbers for the headlights - it's a Citroen jumper but I understand it's identical to the Ducato, Boxer and several more from the looks of things!!

Thank you :)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
i changed my headlight cluster to UK spec by losening three screws on each head lamp and turning the light .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back