Converting a Coach.? (1 Viewer)

Jul 14, 2021
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Converted coach
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Marc, it’s exactly what I had to do, road tax halved to £180 per year, I can’t help you with the insurance as I’ve tagged it on to my motor traders policy. Others that I know of have been around the £500 mark.
I’d be interested in your conversion, my starliner is only a foot or so lower in height than you skyliner.

Regards, Mick

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Wow ! That’s looking amazing ! So you get a choice of normal shower or rainfall shower .👍🏻Nice to see a heavy car on tow as well .
well done 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I hate auto correct, introduce yourself 😔
How the heck did it convert 'introduce' to 'intro email'? You must have been typing some dodgy stuff previously! :giggle:

Hi by the way! 😁

Jul 14, 2021
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Converted coach
Exp
Since 2010
Hi
Is this what you had too do?What is the insurance costs and road tax?I bought a neoplan skyliner double decker and am looking to do the same any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Marc
Hi Marc, that is what I had to do, road tax halved to 180 per year. I can’t help with the insurance as I’ve tagged mine on to my traders policy.
if you need any help, give me a shout.

cheers, mick

Aug 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Neoplan skyliner
Hi Marc, it’s exactly what I had to do, road tax halved to £180 per year, I can’t help you with the insurance as I’ve tagged it on to my motor traders policy. Others that I know of have been around the £500 mark.
I’d be interested in your conversion, my starliner is only a foot or so lower in height than you skyliner.

Regards, Mick
Thanks Mick

Appreciate the advice il keep you updated as we move forward hopefully lol

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A bloke/hippy I knew years ago had a double decker.
He had the downstairs as a roadside/layby cafe and upstairs as living accommodation.
Only him and God know how he got that reclassified...... If he ever did.
He did have a D class licence though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Turbojo

Free Member
Oct 10, 2021
Chichester, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class D/D
Exp
Hi, this maybe a little late but, the body class will always stay as coach / bus etc unless it is exactly the same as on the dvla list. You will need to submit a notifiable alteration to the dvsa once the conversion is done. Send the form and photos and it will be removed from the PSV jurisdiction list. It will now be a class 4 mot, Tacho and speed limiter exempt. Weigh it on a public weigh bridge, Then send the weigh bridge ticket and photos of the conversion to the dvla and change the tax class to phgv. Anything over 7.5 ton will be class 2 or class c licence.
cheers.
Hi, the DVSA form, is it a VTP5 by any chance? I'm thinking about trying for a minibus body type as I saw somewhere a minibus can be up to 12m in length up until 2014 where it changed to 8metre so I'm not sure if it's down to conversion date or vehicle manufacture date. As usual, DVLA have tried very hard to be a vague as possible. Either that or go for a 'goods' van by buying some white pvc sticky plastic rolls to go over the windows etc and gut the inside.
Unfortunately the coach is currently out of test and I'm not sporting a D license either so every route is going to cause me issues.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
A bloke/hippy I knew years ago had a double decker.
He had the downstairs as a roadside/layby cafe and upstairs as living accommodation.
Only him and God know how he got that reclassified...... If he ever did.
He did have a D class licence though.
Probably offered free bacon butties to traffic cops ..... wink wink ask no questions!!

Or he told them it hygeine rating was from the DVLA!

Cheers James

Nov 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
volvo B12T
Hi

Hoping to get a bit of info.

I have bought a axial 110 volvo B12T double decker coach.
I have converted it from a 16 berth sleeper cosch to a bespoke motorhome/party bus for hire.
How do I go about registering it as a motor caravan in its current state.
I live in cornwall and will be hiring this motorhome out in the summer for short stays on some coastal spots and also doing some events further up the country to connect cornwall to different events.

I am currently getting My d1 coach licence but before I commit to a theory I want to check this is the best route. Ideally not having the tacho would be beneficial. I would never have more than 16 persons on board as it carries 14 passengers, driver and a single passenger upfront.

I am also not to sure on where I would stand with needing 6 weekly inspections if it remained registered as a coach but internally its a hotel on wheels.

12L volov b12 automatic
euro 4
Sleeps 14
10 bunks
2 double bed pull outs if required
2 living areas
2 toilets, 1 cassette the other macerator
Downstairs shower
kitchen with oven, hob, fridge, freezer, wine, microwave, wine cooler and coffee machines
On board 600L water tank
650L waste tank
Truma boiler
4 way cameras
Disco lights upstairs
Dual sound systems upper and lower decks
Double coin rlb450 multi terrain tyres.
70% of the windows are blacked out and not in use because of the bunks

I'm trying to set this business up so I can try and finance building a home for my partner and children and also my disabled sister who lives with us and has cerebralpalsy. We are about to move into a plaxton president and a single deck berkhoff radial as the housing crisis down here is hitting hard.

It's not finished yet as you can see, aiming for just after Xmas

Any info or advice would be hugely appreciated

IMG-20231010-WA0012.jpg IMG-20231010-WA0006.jpg IMG-20231010-WA0010.jpg IMG-20231010-WA0025.jpg IMG-20231010-WA0024.jpg 20231023_151632.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back