jasonr

Free Member
Sep 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
dodge motor caravan
Exp
1 day
Hi all, not sure if this is the right forum or even website! I have bought a Dodge 5 ton motorhome with the intention of converting it to a food truck. My question is if I convert it I'm guessing as it's no longer a motorhome the mot class would change to a hgv?

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It would be HGV to start with. Either private or normal. There would be no change, unless it was previously private HGV and will be used commerically. You main issue won't be taxation class, but whether you need to fit a tacho and will need an operator's licence.

OP
OP
jasonr

jasonr

Free Member
Sep 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
dodge motor caravan
Exp
1 day
It's called as a motor caravan on the log book at present. I can drive up to 7.5 ton. My main concern is mot if I convert

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jasonr

jasonr

Free Member
Sep 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
dodge motor caravan
Exp
1 day
it says private hgv

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It's called as a motor caravan on the log book at present. I can drive up to 7.5 ton. My main concern is mot if I convert

That refers to body style, not taxation class. Once converted, you can change that. MOTs are done as presented. As a motorhome, it is Class IV, which can be done at a normal car station if you can find one with a large enough lift. As a goods vehicle, it needs a DVSA station for a goods vehicle test. I suggest you get your 12 months now, because as an HGV, it is going to be much harder to get one.

There are *loads* of legal issues with running goods vehicles over 3500kg, particularly if done commercially. You're going to need to start reading up on it all. In particular, as well as the MOT, you need to check for operator licensing, driver CPC, off road parking etc.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
much the same as converting a private horse box, it will need to be tested at a HGV station and need the correct licence and tachograph to be converted. Just rocking up with a V5 that says motorcaravan and a converted vehicle which is no long a motorhome will lead to disappointment and potential fines with no MOT

being unaware of the law is no defence, and can be painfully expensive

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
you might be able to get an exemption for tachograph something to do with only driver carting tools etc for use in your trade

OP
OP
jasonr

jasonr

Free Member
Sep 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
dodge motor caravan
Exp
1 day
ok, thanks guys

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
one of our customers applied for tacho exemtion under section 5. (Vehicle is not over 7500kg GVW or is part of a combination of vehicles not over 7500 kg combined GVW which is used to carry materials equipment or machinery for the driver’s use in the course of his work within a 100 km radius of base and where driving is not the driver’s main activity) dont know if he was sucessfull though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back