Convert a Hymer 614 to a pressure water system?? (1 Viewer)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
One of our tap micro switches has failed, so I suspect others will go soon. At £8 and upwards for a 50p switch I was wondering whether it was worth fitting a pressure switch. Also I have fitted the Nature Pure Filter from our last van and have had to fit a push button for that.
Has anybody done it, is the pump capable of producing enough pressure? It sounds like a centrifugal pump rather. Than diaphragm so replacing the pump as well could be tricky and expensive.
We are at Peterborough this weekend so may get the opportunity to buy the bits.
Any comments or experiences.
Steve

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You don't need a diaphragm pump - in fact I prefer the centrifugal (drop-in) pumps because they're cheap, readily available, and in my experience more reliable than the diaphragm variety. Simply use a pressure switch connected instead of the microswitches. The only real disadvantages of a pressure system are: if you get a leak the pump will push all your water out through it (into your van); if the boiler low temperature valve opens the pump will run until you turn it off.

Taking a different line: you can save wear & tear on microswitches by fitting a relay so they only operate the relay & the relay operates the pump. That's my own preferred option and is, as it happens, cheaper, more reliable, and easier than changing to a pressure system.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks Tony,
This micro switch failed because the moulded wire has such a tight bend as it leaves the switch, not the contacts. It is a design fault and inevitable failure, which is why I suspect others will go soon.
Does the centrifugal pump produce enough pressure for a pressure switch? If so it should be a simple mod and solve the problem of the Nature Pure tap not having a switch. I supply the pump power via a n/c relay activated from the D+ terminal so it cannot work while driving. Because in our other van, a cupboard came open and knocked a tap and emptied the tank while we were driving so a simple switch in the line will solve the leak problem also.
So just need to find a pressure switch. Any ideas?
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
To obtain a higher flow rate through our Nature Pure tap I turn the main kitchen tap on very slightly, just enough so the pump kicks in and a few drips come out of the main tap, this diverts the main pressure flow through the filter.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
One of our tap micro switches has failed, so I suspect others will go soon. At £8 and upwards for a 50p switch I was wondering whether it was worth fitting a pressure switch. Also I have fitted the Nature Pure Filter from our last van and have had to fit a push button for that.
Has anybody done it, is the pump capable of producing enough pressure? It sounds like a centrifugal pump rather. Than diaphragm so replacing the pump as well could be tricky and expensive.
We are at Peterborough this weekend so may get the opportunity to buy the bits.
Any comments or experiences.
Steve
I did this to my old van by simply putting a pressure switch in the outlet of my water tank after having the same micro switch problem as you.
www.amazon.co.uk/Caravan-Motorhome-Grooved-Pressure-WU7207/dp/B009S6A4AI

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks @Boringfrog just the job, if nobody has one at Peterborough then I can order from them.
Did you have a centrifugal pump?
Steve

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks @Xabia but it is the switch in the kitchen tap that is causing the trouble so I want to do away with the micro switch system.
Steve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think it would be a backward step generally micro switches are more reliable than pressure switches. Was it by any chance a Reich kitchen mixer tap that failed? A common fault on those easy to repair there is normally enough slack on the cable to pull up a bit and solder the wires, happened on our first Hymer. Didn't have a soldering iron with me so got by until we got home by opening the kitchen tap, then just opening the washroom tap enough to turn the pump on. That van didn't have a switch in line with the pump so I fitted one last 2 Hymers have had pump switches, I also always fit a relay in series with the pump to take the load off the micro switches. Just done it on the new van post #122.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
I suspect others will go soon.
I had one go in my previous Hymer - it (the tap) was at the time about 15 years old. I fixed it by re-soldering the wire to the switch. The other two were still going strong until I sold it at the grand age of 20.
I would not bother changing the system.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Our boiler low temp dump valve is before the pump, the pressure switch after the pump so the pump does not run when the water is dumped.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I can't resolder the wires as the switch is a sealed unit with just wires sticking out which have broken inside the switch as they take a sharp turn as they exit the switch. Yes it is a Reich kitchen mixer. At least the Whale pressure switch looks as if it is serviceable. The switches are available from LeisureShop Direct, for about £8 plus £5 postage which compares to about 50p in the manufacturers website. But I think the pressure switch will be a better solution as it will solve the problem of having no switch in the filter. I have fitted a press button but the Wife finds it a fiddle.
Thanks for all your suggestions though.
Steve

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Thanks @Boringfrog just the job, if nobody has one at Peterborough then I can order from them.
Did you have a centrifugal pump?
Steve
I have a brand new one never used, purchased for a project but never got round to fitting it:whistle:
If you're interested I would be happy to accept £20 inc P&P?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back