Joe123

Free Member
Oct 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hello!

I'm looking to convert an XLWB van next year, either a Merc. Sprinter or a VW Crafter. It's the cheapest option towards getting exactly what i require. It will be an empty panel van and i'll be building the inside up myself with help from some guys at work. It will be used for motorbike racing events so it needs a space for the bike + also hoping to travel on none race weekends (UK only) so i'll be requiring beds, cooking area, toilet, shower etc. There will be no gas involved and the only flammable liquid being carried would be petrol for the bikes, but that would only be during the racing season and not all year round. I'm hoping to power everything on extra batteries.

However, i passed my driving test after 1997 (I'm only 21) and so i cant legally drive motorhomes without carrying out my C1 license, or so i believe, but in order to pass the test first time round i'm looking at around another £600! But i'm on a pretty tight budget, and so i'm trying to avoid that. So what i was wondering is, does a converted van weighing less than 3.5 tonne fit into my licensing category of B, or would the DVLA class it as a motorhome which would require me carrying out an extra license test?

Thanks
- Joe

AnnK

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
North West
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580pr
Exp
Since 2016
A quick Google comes up with this from DVLA

Category B - if you passed your test on or after 1 January 1997.You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg). You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer isn't more than 3,500kg.

:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Before you do anything check insurance..
You may find no one will insure you at 21 so pointless to start a project without checking that first..
Lots of LWB vans around that are rated at 3500kg, the maximum on your license. However the amount you can carry which will include all your fitting and passengers will be maybe 1000-1200kg. So you need to be aware of the weight of everything you add or carry inside the van..
3500kg is the legal max, loaded inc you, passengers, all the fittings, food etc etc.. Over that and your overloaded and illegal on the road.

The idea of carrying a motorbike will have a big effect on the weight.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
B licence covers up to 3500kg no matter whether its a car, van, 4 x 4 or motorhome..
If you don't register your conversion as a motorhome it will only be insured as a basic van, nothing inside will be covered no matter how much or little it cost to convert, and will possibly have a higher premium.
Relying on batteries alone is not really advisable unless you have a lot (and the weight, 5 batteries = around 120kg, will eat into your allowed payload) or have a lot of solar panels and prey for a lot of sunshine.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Before you do anything check insurance..
You may find no one will insure you at 21 so pointless to start a project without checking that first..
Lots of LWB vans around that are rated at 3500kg, the maximum on your license. However the amount you can carry which will include all your fitting and passengers will be maybe 1000-1200kg. So you need to be aware of the weight of everything you add or carry inside the van..
3500kg is the legal max, loaded inc you, passengers, all the fittings, food etc etc.. Over that and your overloaded and illegal on the road.

The idea of carrying a motorbike will have a big effect on the weight.
Mine above, weighs 2,700 Kgs empty. With bike and 2 passengers and all gear and fluids it's about 3,200 Kgs

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Joe123

Free Member
Oct 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Thats a pretty cool conversion Yorick!

AnnK - I know i can drive up to 3.5 tonne but i thought that a motorhome falls under the C1 licence category regardless?

Tonka - I've already had some insurance quotes, the cheapest being just over 700 which i didn't think was too bad considering my age. That was empty mind, however over the phone the guy said that internal customisation doesn't have much of an effect on the insurance price, its only when you start messing on with mechanical features such as the engine or suspension that the price rises.

The bike is for motocross racing, has a dry weight of only 93kg

Thanks for the quick replies!

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the 3500kg is the total loaded weight, not just the conversion weight of the van

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Joe123

Free Member
Oct 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Yeah i understand that the van + conversion total needs to be less than 3500kg :)

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you convert a van and register it with the DVLA as a Motorcaravan, then I think you will struggle getting insurance as a 21yr old. You need to call the likes of AIB or Adrian Flux to get an idea as to whether they will cover you. Most insurance companies will only insure 25yrs and up with a motorcaravan, but check for yourself ;)

You also only get 5 replies on a free membership. You will need to subscribe for £15, but it'll be money well spent with advice etc that you can obtain.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yeah i understand that the van + conversion total needs to be less than 3500kg :)
van+conversion+bikes+driver+passengers+water+food+clothes etc must be under 3500kg so with any xlwb van you will really struggle

and yes i have personally converted a few vans

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Having watched through probably hundreds of videos on converting vans on YouTube, the one thing that sticks out is lack of thought or maybe not caring about is using lightweight materials in the build. Commercially built vans and motorhomes use lightweight ply but it aint cheap.
The other thing noted is the lack of thought about weight distribution as to what goes where in the built.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Joe123

Free Member
Oct 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Yeah i can imagine the weight does soon add up, i think the kerb weight of an xlwb is about 2.5 tonne (correct me if im wrong) which gives me about a tonne to play with, should be doable with good planning! (y)

+ I know Yorick! hahaha

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yeah i can imagine the weight does soon add up, i think the kerb weight of an xlwb is about 2.5 tonne (correct me if im wrong) which gives me about a tonne to play with, should be doable with good planning! (y)

+ I know Yorick! hahaha
good luck with that Joe. 2 adults on average weigh 75kg each so thats 150kg+bike and spares 120kg. that 1000kg disappears very quickly. using vohringer plywood will save 50kg on the equivalent plywood. but dont forget that big battery bank, easily another 100kg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Joe123

Free Member
Oct 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
My budget is about 10k in total, hoping to spend 4.5k-ish on the van, 1k insurance + tax and then the rest of the build, i dont think ill need that much for the build but better to have too much than not enough!
you're right though, the weight will add up quick. Haven't got it entirely planned out yet, ive got a few design ideas but im going to have to play around with them to see which is going to be a happy medium between the layout and the weight

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots

+ I know Yorick! hahaha
Mine weighs 2.7 tons with all the fixtures and fittings in.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
My 6m Peugeot conversion is on the limit at 3.5 tons when fully loaded and I used expensive lightweight boards. Don’t see how you will manage just on batteries especially if you use it in the Winter as you will not have any heating.

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I used the MWB puegeot boxer for my conversion <5.5m

Weight, ready to go away for a weekend with fuel, water (no driver) 2480kg add 200kg for my heaviest bike & I still have payload to spare

Be careful when looking at older merc/vw vans as they were not galvansied until about 2013 & rust badly - which is why I went for the pug. Boxer/ducato/relay have square sides & are wider making them a better shape for conversion imho

I use a Wallas XC Duo diesel heater & hob for heating & cooking. It runs off diesel from the van's tank & no naked flames. I can heat, cook & sleep in the van with the motorcycle in it (it's a platonic relationship - honest!)

Worth looking at the dvla requirements for a motor caravan, as changing the V5 can help with insurance and speed limits (& Severn bridge tolls until 17th December)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...caravan/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome

A few pics:
3.jpg
2.jpg
4.JPG
IMG_1105.JPG

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
As long as you have deep pockets, they look a bit pricey, cooks and hobs that is.

Definitely pricier than the usual gas installations for cooking & heating, but not by much, especially if you compare with refillable gas options

Running costs are also cheaper & there are space & weight saving advantages as well

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
First off, keep the MAUW under 3500kg (care you need to use metric weights, 1 tonne, 1000kg, is not equal to 1 ton, 20cwt) and you've no problem with your licence. To be registered as a motorhome needs certain fixings e.g. bed, cooking facility, but is quite straightforward. So a van with a mattress thrown in doesn't qualify :D

But although your bike isn't heavy have you thought about a lightweight trailer, may give you better options in the design of the van interior and also help to keep it a bit cleaner?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back