Convenient storage solution. (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Having a Compact motorhome storage can be a problem. Despite a large “garage”, ready use storage in the habitation area can be limited.

A tiered drawer unit from B&Q solved the problem for us. It stays in situ perfectly, slotting in between the dinette seat and the bulkhead. A few bungee straps keep the drawers closed in transit and there is no obstruction to knees etc for anyone sitting in the reversed driver’s seat.

Being just two of us it doesn’t cause a problem for the person using the dinette when using the table either. The small table still swivels for coffee etc and the table extension can still be fitted easily.

There is a good range of similar units in different sizes that may be suitable for others if it solves a similar problem.
A0E51E5C-775E-4F0F-A323-0F9C022A9552.jpeg

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Since I don't travel with long dresses or a Tuxedo I put a 4 drawer unit (£14.99?) from Wilcos in my wardrobe. There's still space beside it to hang a 3/4 length storm-proof walking coat and an anorak.

CIMG2021.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Having a Compact motorhome storage can be a problem. Despite a large “garage”, ready use storage in the habitation area can be limited.

A tiered drawer unit from B&Q solved the problem for us. It stays in situ perfectly, slotting in between the dinette seat and the bulkhead. A few bungee straps keep the drawers closed in transit and there is no obstruction to knees etc for anyone sitting in the reversed driver’s seat.

Being just two of us it doesn’t cause a problem for the person using the dinette when using the table either. The small table still swivels for coffee etc and the table extension can still be fitted easily.

There is a good range of similar units in different sizes that may be suitable for others if it solves a similar problem.
View attachment 436220
I drilled a small hole in the top at the front and use one bungy to hold all drawers in (in the garage).

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Or you could use the Yorkshire version and just turn the unit around whilst in transit. Think of the cost of the three bungee straps they'd save!:whistle2::Smile:
I love the idea!

In reality, because the unit is standing on carpet it is very difficult to move it at all when loaded. The pile on the carpet acts as a brake. Having lived in Yorkshire for many years we already considered that option.

May 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yosemite
Exp
Since summer 2019
Neat idea. Do you remember the exact name of this item? I cannot find it on the B&Q website.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Neat idea. Do you remember the exact name of this item? I cannot find it on the B&Q website.
No, sorry I don’t. We bought it in the days when we were allowed to travel in Wales and just picked it out of the display, having taken measurements with us. Spriddler has shown in post #3 that Wilco also do similar so they may able to help.

Good luck.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sorry I don't like wouldn't want it in my van unless in the garage.
The only reason we are short of storage space is because we carry too much junk. One of the downsides of having bags of payload.

May 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Imala 620
Exp
So true, the contents of your van expand to fill the space available.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry I don't like wouldn't want it in my van unless in the garage.
The only reason we are short of storage space is because we carry too much junk. One of the downsides of having bags of payload.
Totally your choice, I’m not trying to force you to buy one and you have more space than we do. Placing it in our m/h garage would defeat the object.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My wardrobe consists of 3 t shirts,4 pairs of shorts,a fleece a long sleeved top and a pair of tracker bottoms,plus the most important 12 pairs of undies and my budgie smugglers,,plenty for 3 months away and no storage problem..BUSBY
😁

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
My wardrobe consists of 3 t shirts,4 pairs of shorts,a fleece a long sleeved top and a pair of tracker bottoms,plus the most important 12 pairs of undies and my budgie smugglers,,plenty for 3 months away and no storage problem..BUSBY
😁
Your wardrobe sounds like mine except I have two pair of shorts, one pr of cut-offs and one pr lightweight long trousers. I’m not going to list my wife’s wardrobe but it is only a little longer, mainly “tops”.

The drawers are for food items and books.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
😁
So, a dedicated follower of fashion eh,Busby! 😂😂😂😂lol.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Didn’t spot that! :oops:

Very quick of you.(y)
I don't know your good lady so nothing personal but it reminded me that when a woman tried on clothes not so many years ago she'd worry and ask: "Does my bum look big in this?" Nowadays big derrières have become fashionable and you see some big units about. They are extremely useful when partying as you can rest your plate of canapés on it whilst getting another glass of Champagne.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back