barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Hello playmates! Another query. If it's fair to say that the majority of euro campers are diesel these days, why are so many r v's petrol or petrol/lpg? Is it lack of choice in a smaller market? Is it the emission compliance rolling out throughout Europe or something else I'm missing? Why do people choose petrol over diesel on such large vehicles?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
They are Yank vehicles, petrol is cheap in the USA. :rollingeyes:

It's usually Brits that want them converted to LPG.
because of cost of fuel over here.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Most RVs are American where petrol is about £2.15 per gallon against £5.87 in UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shovelheadrob

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Soon to be 5th wheeler
Exp
On & off for 20 years
This^^^ although even the Americans are beginning to see the logic behind running diesel engines! They have even produced a few vehicles that can be run on Propane (LPG) but it hasn't really caught on over there as it isn't half the price of regular gas (petrol) like it is here.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The economy of the euro Diesel the superb power-train of an 8.1L chevy, I know which I prefer to drive and I know which one I prefer to fill at the pumps. :)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Those of you that knew Brian and Suzy, might know they had a American Jeep Commander I think it was called, a bloody girt big thing it was anyhoo it was a R/H drive Model Diesel powered version and Brian sent for a "Blue OX" towing kit from the US at great expence and shipping costs based on assurances that it would fit his UK model
They gave complete assurance that it would because they only make 1 kit and it fits the full range with no exceptions gauranteed(y)

Brians face was a picture when I told him it would not fit and he even smiled
thinking I was joking
after some convincing that i was serious he got on to Blue OX complaining they asked if his fitter new what he was doing and what the alleged problem was
They were stunned when I said that the intercooler was in the way.
What Intercooler who fitted that!!!! They had never seen or heard of the diesel version:Eeek:

Travelbug1

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
Petrol / LPG is handy here now as you can get into London without paying the LEZ fees !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Wish my 3lt chrysler 300 was petrol.......could use the additional 250bhp at times.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back