Sep 24, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Coach build low profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi All,
I am changing my leisure batteries to AGM, I have a photonic universe controller splitting the charge to both leisure and cab batteries. What setting should I use for these, I have a choice of sealed, flooded or GEL. My cab battery will still be flooded, what setting should I use to be safe for both?
Thanks in advance
1369313326_83164900.png

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If the decision to buy AGM is not set in stone you might want to reconsider. I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell you why.

If you already have the AGMs, then I think the setting that is most suitable is Gel. Both AGM and Gel are valve-regulated pressurised recombinant type batteries, which need a prolonged high voltage charge to fully charge them. The cab battery only needs a very small trickle charge to keep it topped up, so it doesn't much matter what the setting type is provided it's small.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Why!
AGM are probably the worst batteries you could choose for leisure use. Far better to buy decent flooded cells or even better Gels. Also you might want to consider fitter a MPPT solar regulator such as Votronic or Victron.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cossie303
Sep 24, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Coach build low profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the responses guys. I have already purchased the AGM's but there is nothing wrong with my flooded batteries I have now.
I obviously should have done more research. Why are the AGM's no use? Does the Votronic or Victron have two ports for the wiring, 1 for the cab and 1 for the leisure. Sorry about the basic questions but I am not up to speed with all this.
Thanks again.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My last van had AGM's they lasted 18 months, they are just not up to the type of use that we use them for in vans, even BMW & Merc are ditching them in their cars due to relability issues.

The Votronic is dual output, 1 A for charging the starter battery. Both have AGM setting. I assume you mains charger has an AGM setting if not they won't last very long at all.

OP
OP
cossie303
Sep 24, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Coach build low profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Lenny,
I will have to check when I get home from offshore next week. It is a 2016 Bailey Approach 730. Does anyone know where I will find the mains charger?
Thanks for all the info

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would stick them in on the gel setting and see how they last. As for an MPPT regulatot it would give you more charge from the same panl but as you already have the regulator with a gel setting I would stick with what youv'e got and see how well it works (I'm tight!!!). Why not call photonic universe its their business !!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I would stick them in on the gel setting and see how they last. As for an MPPT regulatot it would give you more charge from the same panl but as you already have the regulator with a gel setting I would stick with what youv'e got and see how well it works (I'm tight!!!). Why not call photonic universe its their business !!
I doubt if a Bailey has a Gel setting & the Gel will certainly shorten their life they will never get fully charged.

OP
OP
cossie303
Sep 24, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Coach build low profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks guys, I will check everything out when I get home from offshore, might just stick with my lead acid ones and stick the AGM's up for sale. I have two BANNER 110 batteries and have heard they don't last. I have kept them topped up with deionised water and after 2 and a half years they are still working great but bought the AGM's anticipating their imminent failure.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks guys, I will check everything out when I get home from offshore, might just stick with my lead acid ones and stick the AGM's up for sale. I have two BANNER 110 batteries and have heard they don't last. I have kept them topped up with deionised water and after 2 and a half years they are still working great but bought the AGM's anticipating their imminent failure.
You can spend an awful lot of money on stuff you don't need to!!!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I know that the perceived wisdom is that AGMs are no good, but ...................................

My new Hymer bought in November 2015 had 2 AGMs on it and no dedicated AGM setting on the Electrobloc. However the Schaudt LRM solar charger fitted does have an AGM setting. After I bought it and before handover I read about the problems with AGMs and started worrying. Spoke to dealer who agreed to give me a written 4 year personal guarantee on the AGMs. I have been using them for the last three and a half years and over 30,000 miles without any problems and I suspect I am not going to need that guarantee.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I know that the perceived wisdom is that AGMs are no good, but ...................................

My new Hymer bought in November 2015 had 2 AGMs on it and no dedicated AGM setting on the Electrobloc. However the Schaudt LRM solar charger fitted does have an AGM setting. After I bought it and before handover I read about the problems with AGMs and started worrying. Spoke to dealer who agreed to give me a written 4 year personal guarantee on the AGMs. I have been using them for the last three and a half years and over 30,000 miles without any problems and I suspect I am not going to need that guarantee.
Have you done a controlled discharge on them recently to see how they are performing?
At a guess I suspect they will be way down on original capacity.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Have you done a controlled discharge on them recently to see how they are performing?
At a guess I suspect they will be way down on original capacity.
Nope. But I do keep an eye on their state using my BM700. First think I look at when I get up in the morning. Never drop below 80 - 85%%, and then the solar starts kicking in.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Nope. But I do keep an eye on their state using my BM700. First think I look at when I get up in the morning. Never drop below 80 - 85%%, and then the solar starts kicking in.
The 80-85% will be calculated by how much power you have used from the original set up i.e. 80% of 190a/h however if the batteries have lost say 50% of their capacity the 80% will be meaningless.
Worth running a test so you don't get a nasty shock one day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back