Continuous Insurance Enforcement law (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I’ve just had some buildings cover ‘thoughtfully’ renewed by my old insurer, which means I’m doubly covered at the moment. They said that automatic renewal was standard, now, “to ensure that our customers are adhering to the Continuous Insurance Enforcement law.”
I’m sure that’s a load of spherical objects but have a vague recollection that it does apply to vehicles.

Does anyone know why?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I’ve just had some buildings cover ‘thoughtfully’ renewed by my old insurer, which means I’m doubly covered at the moment. They said that automatic renewal was standard, now, “to ensure that our customers are adhering to the Continuous Insurance Enforcement law.”
I’m sure that’s a load of spherical objects but have a vague recollection that it does apply to vehicles.

Does anyone know why?

Probably to try & eliminate uninsured drivers.

http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/legal/continuous-insurance-enforcement

Not aware that it applies to buildings.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They maybe do auto-renew but they still have to inform you of renewal and price....in advance of the renewal date.

If they're doing dirty tricks like this now what are they going to be like to claim from if ever needed.
I would be cancelling the lot and never use them again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
A lot of insurance companies are taking payments under a Continuous Payment Mandate which some banks are reluctant to cancel and the customer does not have the same rights as a Direct Debit Mandate. CPM's are also used when the initial payment is by credit card. This year I notified my MH insurer in advance that I did not want to renew my policy with them but they still took the premium under a CPM. I then had the hassle of recovering the money from the company. It is not only insurance companies now using this technique.
This thread reminds me to contact my main credit card company to ask them to cancel all CPM's.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i had to cancel my debit card and order another one when Adrian flux don this to me i am not insuer by them now
bill

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Unfortunately, in the UK it seems that virtual Debit Cards are not available. I suppose it would be possible to open a pre-paid debit card for a transaction then cancel it but it should not be necessary to resort to this action. I believe the FCA have issued 'guidelines' to banks and credit card companies that if a customer requests CPM's be cancelled then the bank should cancel them. But, like most things the FCA do they are only guidelines which the banks can choose to ignore.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Green Flag ,Staysure, both tried it on this year ..Staysure the biggest culprit ,rang me to say the Bank had refused to pay the renewal .Then asked if I did not have enough in my account to cover (cheeky Bastward) told both in no unsertain terms I never automatically renew anything .When I asked Staysure how much my new policy was they had put it up £200 . When I said no way I will go elsewhere ,it suddenly dropped back to the same as last year .We have four policies with Staysure and they will all go elsewhere as we renew .Being in France to save the messing I settled for that but this will be the last year I will use them ,it's just onother scam you have to watch out for .It looks like this scam will line the pockets of these crooks if the client is dead as they will continuing removing payments without authority until the account is closed which in some cases will only be when the money runs out.As I just returned from France I will be informing the bank not to pay any renewals without my authority .:Eeek:

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Probably to try & eliminate uninsured drivers.

http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/legal/continuous-insurance-enforcement

Not aware that it applies to buildings.

I think that may be the reason, too. But, in the case of a moho, it is not unreasonable to take one off the road over winter, while there’d be no need to cover third party risks. I suppose it’d be naïve to expect any rationale behind such laws, however.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I think that may be the reason, too. But, in the case of a moho, it is not unreasonable to take one off the road over winter, while there’d be no need to cover third party risks. I suppose it’d be naïve to expect any rationale behind such laws, however.

If you SORN the Moho you don't need to insure it - but there's still the risk of theft, fire etc to consider.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you SORN, do you have to redeem your road tax?
It may not make sense to do so for a short period.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I thought there was some kind of law that said you can not be doubly insured for the same risk, you really would like to think this would apply to seller as well as the buyer of the insurance o_O

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
If you SORN, do you have to redeem your road tax?
It may not make sense to do so for a short period.

Yes, as soon as you declare a SORN the DVLA also cancel your road tax and issue a refund. If you pay road tax by direct debit they also cancel the road tax and you should cancel the DD. Not worth it if you are only taking vehicle off road for a short period.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I thought there was some kind of law that said you can not be doubly insured for the same risk, you really would like to think this would apply to seller as well as the buyer of the insurance o_O
If there is, it must be specific to certain types of risk. Many have more than one life policy. When my car broke down, I had a choice of three breakdown companies from "free" insurance (the manufacturer, my bank, my insurance). I think if you're covered for a loss by more than one company, they'll share the consequences. What may be illegal would be to claim for the full loss more than once.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010

As @rogher has said it is probably specific to certain circumstances. I frequently drive someone elses car which is insured, with me as a named driver, and my car insurance also covers me to drive the vehicle. I assume that in the event of a claim the insurance company asks the claimant whether there is any other insurance in place and then the companies argue between themselves as to how much they pay individually.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As @rogher has said it is probably specific to certain circumstances. I frequently drive someone elses car which is insured, with me as a named driver, and my car insurance also covers me to drive the vehicle. I assume that in the event of a claim the insurance company asks the claimant whether there is any other insurance in place and then the companies argue between themselves as to how much they pay individually.
Your insurance normally will only cover you to drive the other vehicle with basic 3rd party insurance which will not cover any damage to either vehicle only injury to 3rd party persons.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Yes they are.

I was not successful when I searched a few months. Probably used the wrong search criteria. Any chance you could point me in the right direction of one which is available?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I was not successful when I searched a few months. Probably used the wrong search criteria. Any chance you could point me in the right direction of one which is available?

I've used both Entropay and Neteller at various times for various reasons with no problems.

Never had a problem with either (y)

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Just Loose the credit card, cancels all auto renewals etc. Also useful if hiring a car abroad, if they still take a paper swipe of card.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As long as each know then they just split any claim
Your insurance normally will only cover you to drive the other vehicle with basic 3rd party insurance which will not cover any damage to either vehicle only injury to 3rd party persons.

No ,that isn't correct. It won't cover the vehicle that is being driven but it will cover ALL 3rd party claims including all no fault vehicles.It has to as that is the law.

Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017
It won't cover the vehicle that is being driven but it will cover ALL 3rd party claims including all no fault vehicles.It has to as that is the law.
That's my understanding as well - although I don't believe your insurance has to include cover to drive someone else's vehicle.

On a slightly related note, as long as we're still in the EU, all vehicle insurance does have to provide 3rd party cover for the EU.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back