Continental MH's with habitation door on the 'wrong' side. (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It was only ever an issue because, IIRC, the Caravan Club emphasised it every time they commented on a non-British caravan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The first ever MH I experienced was a one my dad hired when I was a kid to sneak into east Germany just after the wall came down...

That had a hab door on the back...

moonman

Free Member
Mar 3, 2014
wirral
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2003
as we use our lhd hymer abroad most of the time so its not really an issue for us that the hab door is on the rhs.
For us it only becomes an issue when staying on caravan club sites (with all those regulations) which means they insist we drive nose first onto the pitch. The CCC don't seem to care which way around we pitch.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The only issue I had with mine wasn't really related to the hab door being on the wrong side (no problem there). If buying a RHD to use abroad I would be careful to select a van that has a window to the rear of the passenger seat. If driving without a co pilot for whatever reason you would find than on wide right turn junctions you simply cannot see to your left without a window.
Mine being LHD had this problem when driving here, hence my drastic action.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rapido-left-hand-drive-blind-spot-window-for-uk.61984/

I have YET to encounter ANY club especially the CC telling me which way around I must park. In winter we use silver screens so often the view is of no concern so I usually park according to the slope of the pitch (whichever way avoids ramps)

More often CC staff say "reverse to the peg" simply out of habit but that is not a rule
CA_02141422195615-X2.jpg

IMG_0104-X2.jpg

Last edited:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If buying a RHD to use abroad I would be careful to select a van that has a window to the rear of the passenger seat. If driving without a co pilot for whatever reason you would find than on wide right turn junctions you simply cannot see to your left without a window.
That is a very valid point, this has caused me many issues, whereas the hab door has not. Even joining a continental motorway from a service station can be fraught, you simply cannot see enough in the mirrors, so there is an element of "go for it and see if there is a bang" to your driving!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back