Continenal Motorhome Recovery... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
This post will be flirting with danger but...

I have been motorhoming all over Europe for over twenty years in many different vans and have never ever bought breakdown or recovery cover.

The inevitable happened in 1999 when the main bearings went on my Iveco 60-10 on the Salamanca ring road.

It cost me €450 to have it transported to my destination (Coimbra, Portugal) where I lived in it on and off for 6 months before it went off to the big parking space in the sky...

I calculate my costs to be approx €18 a year....

How much is an All Europe recovery policy (for older vans?)

JJ. :Smile:

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
I think that we pay about £120 ish p.a. with Britannia for a 1986 Mercedes Cherokke

Regards Charlie

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Recovery

Wonder what it would cost today? As ours has another 4 years before it's too old to insure I shan't worry yet but I do wonder how others deal with vehicles older than 20 years as some companies won't insure older than 20 years. While I have no wish to throw money at breakdown recovery other than insurance it's the issue of finding someone to come out and recover a vehicle without the recovery network that would concern me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Hi jon

I think also that hidden in the small print of most insurance co's is a disclaimer that repatration costs will not exceed the market value of the vehicle :Sad:

Be interested if any one else has any views on this

73's Charlie (Lapsed G8BEJ) :thumb:

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi jon

I think also that hidden in the small print of most insurance co's is a disclaimer that repatration costs will not exceed the market value of the vehicle :Sad:

Be interested if any one else has any views on this

73's Charlie (Lapsed G8BEJ) :thumb:

You are right, when we broke down in Calais this year and I rang the recovery people they took my postcode and checked the recovery costs before they agreed anything. At around £200 for the insurance fully comp including breakdown cover (UK & Europe) I think it is well worth the cost. I don't think we would get a better deal than that ours is a 1996.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks for the prices folks... as I thought... I would be well out of pocket had I paid for breakdown recovery...

JJ:winky:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
An interesting survey JJ.
I too think like you that insurance is, or can be more expensive than the cost incurred. however; you have to take in to account the cost of the original vehicle and in some cases that can be over£6000.00 then the calculation looks a little different.

Doug...

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Just got back from France where our Jeep broke down with smoke pouring out of the back brakes. We were with Green Flag who did a brilliant job sorting out car hire and taxis etc. The costs including shipping our Jeep back to the UK are just short of £5k :Eeek:

Best £36 I ever spent :thumb::winky:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
having been rushed into hospital in the past with caravan car and family stuck on site I was very glad I had recovery as i could not drive for six weeks after I came out

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
New van in April,just bought cover for Europe-£67 for 8 months with Caravan guard

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
While visiting the motorhomeshow in Dusseldorf last weekend we joined ADAC (the Geman RAC). The insurance is not for a particular vehicle but for the person that is driving it. Does not matter what you drive ( your motorhome, neighbours car, etc. ) you are insured for break down and accident. It also covers accute health problems and reading all their info, this looked a great deal to us.
1 year cost 78 euro's but we took out 2 cards as we travel often apart as well and this cost 98 euro's.

Maddie

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We are with ALPS which also covers the van with any driver.
Cost £79, our vehicle is a 1993 Hymer 2.5mtr - age & length was not an issue!
Arranged through Frank Pickles.
Luckily we've not needed it yet - fingers XXXXXXXXXXX's

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have the ADAC cover costing about £100 per year which covers just about everything except nuclear bomb attack. All three of my vehicles are over 20 years old and have full repair or repatriation on anything am driving or a passenger in.
Allso my nearest and dearest are covered with the same degree of cover.
The cover is upto and including 7.5 tons so you should be well covered with that JJ including your soon to be Solex.:thumb:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Great stats JJ and nice one! but you could have been unlucky over the years. I guess it depends on how much you want to take a gamble and if your any good at mechanics which I am not.

However our Safeguard insurance covers us 365 for Euro travel and includes AA breakdown and recovery for free. Yes I know its not free your paying for it but Im only paying £3xx for the whole lot fully comp for a year. I know some are paying more just for insurance without the EU breakdown.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back