Contemplating fortnight in France - 2nd half of October (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Back at work a week, missing my van and thoughts have turned to our next opportunity.

We have the last 2 weeks off in October.

Is France likely to be a sensible idea weather wise?

If so, how do I find municipal sites ... ? There used to be a website but the chap died and I do t think anyone’s updated it.?

Aires won’t work as youngest child has prelims when we get back so he needs study time - thinking of buying a quest pop up so either he or we can decamp into it for a few hours each day to give him some peace.

Any other suggestions welcome. We live in Scotland so not sure driving further is realistic option in 2 weeks.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Lots of sites do close in France after September.. So research well..
As you say, it's a long way just for 2 weeks and weather really wont be that much better than UK..

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Likely to be cold/wet for a good number of days and other than in large towns they tend to roll up the footpaths and put out the lights at 7pm when all the bars close.
I am happy to travel through France to Spain at that time but wouldn't want to have a holiday. Too much of a gamble.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you go south say Province it can still be in the low 20's.
I doubt if you will find any campsites open. A lot close at the end of August and nearly all of them by the end of September.
Also a long drive for two weeks, and that without the drive from Scotland, even if you hammer it you are probably looking at 8 days driving for the return trip.
You can often be lucky with the weather further north but even less chance of sites being open.

Last edited:

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
We enjoy excellent weather in October November time here on the southern coast of Brittany. There's a micro-climate area from Vannes to Lorient which generally is dry and warm. (34C here yesterday) It's very accessible using Brittany Ferries, Portsmouth-Caen or St Malo.

We flit back and forth all year, in Morbihan right now will come back to the UK in September (Going on a Baltic Cruise) and will be back in France before Brexit.

I have a French Owners Abroad card, so prices are reasonable and there's 25% off.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Some Municipals will be open in late October. We stayed on the one at Obernai in Alsace which is popular with British MHers. The area has lots of places worth seeing. This one is a short walk into the old town:

http://www.camping-obernai.fr/Infos-pratiques/Tarifs.html

It was fine in September but you might need to research what the weather will be like during your chosen fortnight.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks, South Brittany would be nice thanks Augusta08 for weather info .... equally happy to head further south.
We’ve had great holidays in Sommières before (towing caravan), and have travelled down to Bordeaux (Car) then cycled to Port La Nouvelle, train back to Bordeaux and home. So anywhere in France doable. But Spain feels a step too far.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are certainly campsites open in Brittany in October and even a few open in November. The ACSI books will help you find them. There aren't many of course and on the north coast hardly any but around Morbihan, Lorient, Concarneau for example there are some. And don't forget the Camping-car Park (CCP) chain. They are aires but you can wind out an awning etc. The one at Cleder (near Roscoff) is a favourite of ours.

This is Brittany on 27 October last year at Loctudy where we stayed at the CCP aire. They even provide you with a seat so you can admire the blue skies. :)

DSC_0016-EFFECTS.jpg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Camping le Ragis Challans Vendee is open until end of october. Poss cheaper and warmer if it does rain to hire a caravan than drive the motorhome over

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We’ve done France last 2 years at that time of year and heading out again on the 11/10, we’re not that far from you.
In 2017 we drove to Saint Tropaz and spent a bout 10 days along that coast, we went for the Nice marathon which I ran on the 5/11 and the temp was mid 20s, sites where open down there until first week in Nov and we used some Aires that had hook up and allowed awnings.

Last year we did from La Rochelle to just south of Cahors and it was virtually dry for the full two weeks with the temp again being low to mid 20s some days.

We normally do one long drive then spend some time on that area before coming back up over 2 days.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We’ve done France last 2 years at that time of year and heading out again on the 11/10, we’re not that far from you.
In 2017 we drove to Saint Tropaz and spent a bout 10 days along that coast, we went for the Nice marathon which I ran on the 5/11 and the temp was mid 20s, sites where open down there until first week in Nov and we used some Aires that had hook up and allowed awnings.

Last year we did from La Rochelle to just south of Cahors and it was virtually dry for the full two weeks with the temp again being low to mid 20s some days.

We normally do one long drive then spend some time on that area before coming back up over 2 days.
Thanks lorger ... do you usually Dover Calais? We’ve tried a variety of routes over the years ... not sure which I prefer!

Nov 16, 2017
Worksop
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2018
We are in France at the moment and have been using the Camping Car Park sites and I have to say for the price I'm impressed the most we have Payed is€13.50 Inc Water EHU and dumping and free WiFi also open throughout the year.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Google France campsites open all year
We came back from ITaly mid to late November and with that list plus ACSI found sites.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Another hot one here at the moment ,was going to head for the morbiahan area but cut inland a bit to a little hidden jem at Saint Aignan ,water toilets clean and free.
Search for sites free download and a hive of information.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks lorger ... do you usually Dover Calais? We’ve tried a variety of routes over the years ... not sure which I prefer!
We normally do hull but Lorraine can’t get the half day off on the Friday this year and it would be a bit tight to get there in time, for the first time in 7 years we’re doing the tunnel out and Zeebrugge to hull back as hate the drive round the M25 on way home.

We catch the tunnel around 1am will stay at Cite de Europe and decide where to go when we wake up.
If you like the Dordonge area I can let you know some nice aires that are more like sites.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've always found Scotland to be nice up north in October it's usually when I'll do the nc500 and the West coast or Skye etc, few tourists no midgies . Free campsites at ullapool and durness.

Don't think I'd drive all the way south to do France for 2 weeks. I think with the expense that entails a fortnight all inclusive in the canaries would win out there.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I've always found Scotland to be nice up north in October it's usually when I'll do the nc500 and the West coast or Skye etc, few tourists no midgies . Free campsites at ullapool and durness.

Don't think I'd drive all the way south to do France for 2 weeks. I think with the expense that entails a fortnight all inclusive in the canaries would win out there.

Thanks Tam, yes, taking the van up to our place in Torridon and doing a few mini trips is an option. Also means we could take kayaks or a boat as they’re all up there ?. We may make last minute decision based on weather forecasts.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks Tam, yes, taking the van up to our place in Torridon and doing a few mini trips is an option. Also means we could take kayaks or a boat as they’re all up there ?. We may make last minute decision based on weather forecasts.
The weather will be pi**y awful.:cry:
We're thinking of heading up that way around then.:)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The weather will be pi**y awful.:cry:
We're thinking of heading up that way around then.:)
Not necessarily ...October and April is my two favourite months for north Scotland done that for years and can only recall a couple that's been bad , my kids were frequently out swimming in the sea at durness in October, sure it's dark earlier but are often the two driest months

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Not necessarily ...October and April is my two favourite months for north Scotland done that for years and can only recall a couple that's been bad , my kids were frequently out swimming in the sea at durness in October, sure it's dark earlier but are often the two driest months
To be honest we’ve been up last 4 years and have had times we were out in the boat every day and getting sunburnt then last year it rained most of the time.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Use the ACSI card. Go to the ACSI card web site for France and put the dates in. Should be quite a few. I often hear people say that ALL sites in France are closed for winter but that is not true. Keep and eye on weather forecasts but I would just go. Having family time together is so important.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Use the ACSI card. Go to the ACSI card web site for France and put the dates in. Should be quite a few. I often hear people say that ALL sites in France are closed for winter but that is not true. Keep and eye on weather forecasts but I would just go. Having family time together is so important.
Thanks, I was thinking about buying ACSI just for this holiday. I have an old book Chas17 kindly sent me last year so I’ll have a good look through that too ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back