PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
BBC News reported that a number of vehicles damaged after being filled up at a Tesco petrol station. They've shut the station and the cameras showed extensive work being conducted to see the root cause of the contamination. Tesco spokesman said that they would compensate any motorist who's vehicle was damaged as a result of filling up at the station.

It also went on to say that the reports of other vehicles suffering problems after filling at other outlets were not related....hmmmm I have to wonder.

Won't be filling at Tesos for a little while then.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
thankfully i drove past on friday and didnt stop for fuel. was going to as got 12p off a litre to use this month. thought i would wait a few days till i needed more, so a bigger saving.

as you say, diggers are on the forecourt taking out the storage tank as we speak. not looking good for tesco

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Now you tell me, filled up the van at Tesco yesterday. :mad:
not at branksome near poole in dorset I hope.

tesco buys millions of litres of fuel a year and its rare to get a dirty batch. odds are you will be ok so long as you used a forecourt well away from poole

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Digging the forecourt up? Knackered storage tank allowing ground water into the fuel? Can't think of why other than contamination.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Tescos.. I have just had HORRENDOUS dealings with the thieving lying scumbag company
I am willing to bet it will take AGES to get anything out of them and whatever folk get will not fully cover folks out of pocket expenses

Just a heads up folks.. If you have a Tesco mobile at the moment.. look to get out of it as soon as possible.. Will not say anything more at the moment but will give a full update etc on Monday

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Any more bad publicity and I'll expect to see Tesco Directors artificially inflating their profits.....................err:D.
I also expect that all those small producers, dairy farmers and suppliers screwed by this monolith will be smiling today.:sneaky: What goes round comes round!............................................. Every Little Helps!:D

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Such hatred against Tesco!

They are a successful company which employs PEOPLE. Those PEOPLE rely on the business they work for to earn a living. Those PEOPLE also try their hardest to serve the customers (YOU LOT!) to the best of their ability.

All this venom you sprout is equally directed at these employees. You wish for the downfall of Tesco but you have little respect for the PEOPLE who will suffer if it all comes crashing down.

You all benefit from this monster you helped create with your desire for the cheapest food for centuries, all conveniently available 24 hrs a day. By cheapest, I mean in relation to wages.

Jaws, you obviously have a huge problem with the company. Do they send out granny rape squads into Thetford or something?

All I am saying is that if you all have problem, it seems to be more about envy of Tescos success rather than anything else.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Tescos also don't own refineries!

Any screw up with the fuel is either down to a damaged tank or their supplier. Do you honestly believe that some form of negligence by Tesco employees at the filling station is to blame for this?

I could point to a case when I had to strip my fuel system on my Capri in the late 80s due to sand contamination after filling up at a Texaco station.

Nobody would be interested in that though because it isn't about knocking a successful company.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A couple of points here....

Last time around it was an inadvertent addition of a diesel anti foaming additive to gasoline in the tank farm, causing the oxygen sensors to fail. Two cars in our family were affected and both were rapidly and efficiently compensated by Tesco for the full costs of the repairs and the fuel. My brother and his wife had no complaints at all about the way they were treated. Our staff had the job of sampling about 120 fuel stations belonging mostly to Tesco and Morrissons but some other affected stations to establish contamination source. The analysis via ICP was conclusive and costly (for them!). Multiple brands affected as supply of fuel comes from few sources and one storage facility will provide the same blend to many different brands from the same tankage

This time - as stated above - they are digging up a forecourt so it indicates that the problem is very isolated and some sort of tank rupture which is unusual. The environmental people will be crawling all over em..........

deand

Free Member
Oct 1, 2014
france
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1980
also be aware of southern ireland.
agricultural fuel [ coloured green of course is being stolen from farms washed with acid to remove the colour and then sold back
to garage. we were advised to stick to well known makes texaco total etc
deand

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Acid ? Thats a new one..
More usually done by passing the stuff through a barrel filled with kitty litter ( yes, really !! )
Works with red and green.
We had a spate of fly tipped red dyed kitty litter a few years back !

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
i dont use tesco
its my own protest at them being the cause of the demise
of many high street shops the consequent
losss of jobs on the highstreets

free parking cheeper prices sell everything and con the planners its what is needed

then put there prices up when the competition falls away
result high streets full of estate agents take away and charity shops

at the moment i use asda or the coop
when i move on monday that will change to local shops that exist on a high street you can park on without a charge
with a butchers and get this a fishmongers
:RollEyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
i dont use tesco

free parking cheeper prices sell everything and con the planners its what is needed

when i move on monday that will change to local shops that exist on a high street you can park on without a charge
sorry to disappoint but the same could be said about Asda and Co-op too!!!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The cynic in me thinks that some oik from Asda went and put something in the Tesco fuel station holding tanks to make people stop buying the Tesco fuel and instead go for Asda fuel instead! :D

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
sorry to disappoint but the same could be said about Asda and Co-op too!!!!
your probably right but in my own misguided way they
started it in 1980 with a massive tesco at pitsea essex
sucked in customers from milesaround .

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Just a heads up folks.. If you have a Tesco mobile at the moment.. look to get out of it as soon as possible.. Will not say anything more at the moment but will give a full update etc on Monday

Any update on the Tesco mobile contract, John? Barrie's is due to renew this month.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i dont use tesco

Sorry to disagree tofo , but Tesco did not cause the demise.. we, the shopper caused it, we the shopper demanded cheaper and cheaper, we demanded free parking , we demanded 24hrs shopping .. all Tesco and the other big three did was to oblige

We can't complain when the high street grocer closes if we didn't support him..

Do I shop at Tesco .. yes.. but I also try to support local traders where possible.. but sorry, I can't bank roll them. they either make a success of it or go under.

Aldi, Lidl, Co-op are no different.. it's a cut throat market and the small trader has no chance if he tries to compete without innovating .. they have to adapt or die .. as does the High Street.. who wants to pay £1 an hour or more to shop when you can park in a retail park for free..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
they all set of small . tesco started as a barrow boy.
asda sold items out of boxes piled up on the floor .
coop well having worked for them twice i say are a failure .
but been around along time .
lots of super markets have gone under as well.
home and colonial . international stores . liptons . woolworths , ford and lock .

bit like the rest of most of british industry . bad managers , possibly lazy workers .
but its getting better . uk as never been better . industry growing . interest rate on the up.jobs for all.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And in other news (on a similar theme)
Today, me and her went to Lidl.
On paying for our shopping I noticed, too late, that 'our' Lidl now accepts Credit Cards.
I appreciate that there were a few stores in the country that have accepted CC in the past, but in terms of whether it was necessary at this time of bulging profits and a massive increase in footfall in the past 18mths to 2yrs, to now accept CC, I don't think so.
It wasn't done in a vain hope of getting more customers. It was obviously done to put even more pressure on the big four.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
we, the shopper caused it,
And, as regards out of town v retail parks, short sighted politicians caused it.

When I moved to Middlesbrough, 46 years ago, there was a fairly large supermarket (Hinton's) in the town centre, there was a local chain of smaller supermarkets (Pybus's) throughout the edges of the town centre and there were goodness knows how many small businesses serving thousands of town centre residents.

The council then demolished all the town centre housing (not all of which, by any means, was unfit) and, instead of building new houses in the same locations, moved people to new suburban council estates, whether they wanted to move or not, and destroying communities in the process. Out of town supermarkets were created to serve those new estates and people went there rather than popping to the local shops as they always had done.

Now we have a university campus instead of a town centre with very little as far as retail goes. Most town centre businesses are mobile phone shops, pubs and fast food outlets catering for students rather than the community at large.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Any update on the Tesco mobile contract, John? Barrie's is due to renew this month.
If it is not sorted out think Fones4U and what happened to them.... canna say any more and have no more info I am afraid mate

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Mind you, if Tesco needed a network, they could buy one!

O2 UK turnover was 1.8 Bn, Tesco was 75Bn!

Who's pulling the strings in this relationship?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
i dont use tesco

Hardly the fault of the supermarkets. If the residents of any town so 'afflicted' don't want their local shops to close they simply don't shop at the supermarket. I've never understood the hypocrisy of protesters who then go on to shop at the supermarket when the protest fails.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Acid ? Thats a new one..
More usually done by passing the stuff through a barrel filled with kitty litter ( yes, really !! )
Works with red and green.

Yes they use Fuller's Earth (cheaper to buy than Kitty litter, same stuff) and heat the oil right up in a boiler first to allow it through faster.The only thing is that the dust particles left behind would seize a common rail pump in a couple of miles, it would go throughthe fuel filter and hopefully block that first. Moral of the story is DO NOT BUY FUEL FROM PADDY at the roadside, although it gets into forecourts too. It happen here as well but HMRC are always checking on bulk sales of fullers earth.
PS It takes the dye out but not the chemical marker.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back