Contaminated fuel!!!! Not wrong fuel put in! Be aware!!!! (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I dread lifting the hatches to look at the water separators! It's the stuff of nighmares!:eek:
Try having the same experience on a large ship with 70 tonnes of the stuff…….. thankfully rare, but as you said before, biofuels can be a bad influence

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I have always used supermarket fuel in my diesel vehicles with no bad experiences, however I filled up my new (to me) motorcycle with e10 petrol from Sainsbury and immediately found the bike was cutting out when approaching traffic lights and roundabouts so had to adopt a technique of keeping the engine speed up so it didn't cut out, no problems with it running rough otherwise, so at the next fill up i filled up with BP E10 and now no more problems so it could be just a slightly dodgy batch from Sainsbury but i won't be using supermarket petrol in the bike again just incase.
Use E5

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
I always try and fill up at Costco. It says the Diesel is “premium” whatever that really means, but even if it was bog standard stuff it’s still cheaper than a supermarket. What I do like is how clean they keep their forecourt. There’s an attendant on duty all the time for general housekeeping and cleaning up spills. This level of service gives me confidence that what’s underground is maintained in the same way.

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
If a tanker is doing a drop the fuel is going into the tank underground and stirring up all the crap that sits on the bottom, which may have been there years. If you are filling up from that tank at the same time as the tanker is dropping off that much is going into your tank.
Some modern petrol/diesel pumps have canister filters built into the stystem. However older pumps do not.
Supermarket fuels tend to work on maximum throughput of the fuel at minimum cost. Supermarkets don't have to make a profit on the fuel as they make it in the shop but they have to break even so preventative maintenance is not a thing they do. Fix it when it breaks down but routine filter cleaning isn't done. Unlike the oil company owned stations.
So if a tanker is doing a drop off the station is "Recommended" to close off the pumps affected by that tank and leave them 30 mins after the drop to allow the crud to settle to the bottom of the tank before opening the pumps. In reality that never happens.
If a tanker is doing a drop I don't stop to fill up or go do the shopping first, have a coffee etc.

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
My experience is that Shell V-Power costs 15 pence per litre more ie +10% and gives me 4mpg improved fuel economy ie +12% economy.

I will NEVER use Supermarket fuel again.
I have never noticed any benefit regarding more mpg using V-Power, and keep very accurate figures of fill and mileage, of nearly 20k miles in current motorhome.

I do always use V-Power in a classic sports car - more for the octane than anything else.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Tesco Rugby have closed down been for probably 2 weeks at the moment, loads of workman & diggers etc, they are not anywhere near finishing as they are digging everything up , happy that I started using the local esso one

Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
Six years ago I bought a Ford Probe that I was very proud of and decided to see if my mpg could be affected by different brands.
Consequently, every time I filled up, I worked out how much fuel had been used against the mileage and wrote it on the receipt along with where it came from and also kept a log (I really enjoy analysing things)!

There was a definite difference, with Esso giving the worst mpg although that was the cheapest at the time. The best was shell, which was amongst some of the most expensive (I also compared the Shell extra or whatever it was at a few pence more per litre and that did not seem to make any difference to the mpg at all).
However, my log showed that the petrol from Sainsbury’s was clearly the same as/as good as Shell.
Hence, I always fill up at Sainsbury’s which is amongst the best prices generally.

Of course, the Probe was petrol, I can only assume that the same logic applies to diesel suppliers.

Not many people have all their bills including every petrol receipt for three years when they sell their car on!!!!
I’ve got fuel records for my last 3 motorhome S over 40 years . Is that ☹️

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I find exactly the same every year ( for the past 14 years )
Tried to explain it with ambient temp, long runs, different driving techniques but all dismissed for various reasons
Def get a better mpg on continental diesel and I have NO idea why
BREXIT :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OP
OP
jwells
Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
The Tesco filling station has acknowledged that there is a problem, and the set of pumps involved have been. Only a small number of people have been affected, 3 of us ended up at the same garage, which turned out to be very useful!!
My vehicle is now running again after being drained and flushed by a company called Fuel Fixer, and very good they were to! Still have to get the fuel filter replaced. It appears that as I only moved about 400 metres from the pump to my house before having to shut down the filter saved the day and the water and crap put into the tank never made it into the injection system. 🤞
Really not a good experience going out again for the first time since the incident, but starting to look like I was one of the lucky ones.
Really strange that with the number of people that use these pumps only a few of us seem to have been affected! Hopefully Tesco will now deal favourably with this without any further hassle!!!!!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
but they have to break even so preventative maintenance is not a thing they do. Fix it when it breaks down but routine filter cleaning isn't done. Unlike the oil company owned stations.
I don’t think so. Three reasons…. 1) regular pump maintenance is mandatory 2) the supermarkets want to avoid negative publicity at all costs 3) all professionally run businesses have a maintenance schedule to ensure that the equipment is working correctly. The last thing they want is for HMRC or the local authorities to check their compliance with the petroleum storage licence on one of their routine unannounced visits and find a problem

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hopefully Tesco will now deal favourably with this without any further hassle!!!
Yes…… they want to make sure that they avoid negative publicity about this. You would get a better response out of a supermarket than an independent or a franchise in this respect. They have more to lose.

May 7, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyanne
Exp
newbie, years of tent camping
I think this might be the Branksome Tesco, which was closed for months whilst they removed the contaminated tanks.

May 7, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyanne
Exp
newbie, years of tent camping
I don’t think so. Three reasons…. 1) regular pump maintenance is mandatory 2) the supermarkets want to avoid negative publicity at all costs 3) all professionally run businesses have a maintenance schedule to ensure that the equipment is working correctly. The last thing they want is for HMRC or the local authorities to check their compliance with the petroleum storage licence on one of their routine unannounced visits and find a problem
Check the date this was SEVEN years ago and Tesco paid up, as others say makes no difference where you fill up, unless there is a problem at an individual garage as in this case

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Check the date this was SEVEN years ago and Tesco paid up, as others say makes no difference where you fill up, unless there is a problem at an individual garage as in this case
Errr thanks for the fact check…. That is exactly what I said, thanks, plus was speaking in general terms as my company dealt with many of these cases. I was also heavily involved in the 2007 contamination fiasco. We tested fuel out of 180 stations and liaised closely with the retailers involved

Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
The issue at the fuel station I mentioned above was water seeping into the storage tanks at the forecourt as they had not been installed correctly.
In a similar vein I recently spoke with a guy from Switzerland who told me that he never buys fuel from motorway services as they routinely put water in the tanks cos they know you won't be back.

Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
I had a friend who used to run a small petrol station years ago and he told me that one of the problems that can occur is when an owner gives it up.
Apparently, it is impossible to get every drop of fuel out of the tank(s) so what some unscrupulous people do is to float the last of the fuel on top of water that they pump in before they give it up.
This means that eventually, drivers get a mix of increasingly watered down fuel.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Part of the problem, when I worked for bp, was contamination from the storage tanks underground at the fuel station, not the fuel from the refinary. Issue is may tanks have been underground for many many yrs and though I stations are carried out with the fuel in them, determine the condition of the tanks is guess work. Only when it gets contaminated, can they know the tank has corroded etc. That was several yrs ago I worked for them things may have changed, bur I doubt that much, other than the materials the tanks are made out of these days. I experienced contaminated fuel at one of the BP stations, the place had to shut for a couple of months, while the tank was dug up and a new one installed, also had to decontaminate the ground. It's a big job, and a lot of cost.back then you could make more money from the shop than the fuel, it was hardly worth selling the stuff.

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
We made 2p a litre at 7 shell sites , we also replaced tanks, due to leakage into the ground very costly,shell Bp esso have additives added supermarkets don’t .

Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
My friend told me the same thing - you can’t make enough profit from selling fuel (at the time 1p or 2p a litre). The only acceptable profit was from the shop.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back