Considering buying a dog

Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
..but concerned that it might stop us doing things - like eating out in the evening - don't really want to leave it in the camper.... how do others deal with this? May be we wait until we have stopped motor homing abroad.......

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
In all fairness, we have Pepper, our Cavachon and we take her everywhere especially on the continent. We did a 6 week tour of France, Switzerland and Italy and previously Luxembourg and Germany and we didn't have a problem but we mainly stay on Aires or ACSI and used steam trains and the Panoramic train at Clermont-Ferrand with absolutely no problem. Most shops allow dogs and when we've occasionally used restaurants, we're happy with outside seating but have used restaurant with only inside dining and always ask and they've never said no. Great addition to our touring (except £19.00 each way on train). We now always use the train rather than leave her. Thus year though we have Frequent Travel and looks like saving around £100.00.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Dogs are fine left in campers while you have a meal in a restaurant. Just a bit of cleaning up required when you return. :)

P6090746.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have travelled extensively with our Bernese in tow, we frequently visit pubs/restaurants, always best to ask first if dogs are allowed. We've never been turned away so far. When we sit down for a meal, we tend to leave Rosie in the van, she treats it as her second home, this is her spot in the van:
Rosie.JPG

We haven't had any trouble visiting any of the places we've been. We even went around Chateau Chenonceaux last year, we were allowed to bring her in, but not in the castle itself (obviously).

The only thing to be aware of, if you travel in France, they are very hot on dogs in distress in hot vehicles, and will smash windows to get them out. We have a sign on our window written in French that reads "Our dog has water, and the air conditioning is on" whenever we leave her in the van in France.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
..but concerned that it might stop us doing things - like eating out in the evening - don't really want to leave it in the camper.... how do others deal with this? May be we wait until we have stopped motor homing abroad.......
We take our pooch everywhere with us and would never leave him in the van. He is the reason we got our MoHo and is part of the team. Think carefully before you decide as it is a big commitment. Kids grow up and look after themselves, your dog can't do that and will need you forever

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
You mention 'buy' a dog. If you decide to go for it please consider the 1000s of dogs currently in dog homes looking for a second chance through no fault of their own.
All our Border Collies have been rescue dogs and for some reason they know you have given them that second chance and are so so grateful which is repaid in love and affection

Jun 30, 2011
Durham
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
These 2 are no problem, Suki, more commonly known as Yoda and Gremlin or Juglugs
TED TORQUAY JULY 2017.jpg
was brought up in a motorhome, she loves it, Can you guess which is Suki?
SUKI SEPTEMBER 2017.jpg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Just to give the other side, not a pet owner now. decided when ours went that we wouldn't have another while we were travelling. don't want to leave one in the vn while we are out for however short a time, can't take one on the motorbike, have seen how restricted friends can be when they take their dog. One couple in particular are going on a National Hliday to Paris as their plans last year were thwarted by having the dog with them. Their dog hates the motorhome and is a nervous wreck when travelling. My old dog loved my van so much she sneaked in and came to work with me :LOL:
Having said that if I were on my own would more than likely get a dog, and hope that it wnjoyd the journey i the van.

Davylambretta

Free Member
Jun 12, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Why buy a dog? Plenty in rescues urgently needing a home, We have 2 Irish terrier rescues who love travelling and getting out in the van also non shedding/hypoallergenic so ideal travel companions who will always draw a crowd

19390621_10203370878269139_6983051153096043395_o.jpg

18738623_10203262042068302_3799144558998337796_o.jpg

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Ours is a labradoodle Stanley and of topic had a doodle meet at Porlock Somerset, landlord let us all have a meal at the pub and the campsite was full of doodles ,ours is the scruffy one but we love him and I agree with Scott sue you are restricted and I don't know how he will go on my ktm

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Why buy a dog? Plenty in rescues urgently needing a home, We have 2 Irish terrier rescues who love travelling and getting out in the van also non shedding/hypoallergenic so ideal travel companions who will always draw a crowd

19390621_10203370878269139_6983051153096043395_o.jpg

18738623_10203262042068302_3799144558998337796_o.jpg
Ordinarily I'd totally agree especially with our last two girls were Doberman rescue dogs but Swmbo wanted a Cavachon and if there had been a Cavachon rescue then we'd have definitely looked

Davylambretta

Free Member
Jun 12, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
So she wants a crossbreed dog then? All you are doing by buying a "designer" mix is rather than getting the best of both breeds is crossing defects. Breeding these types of dogs has put others at risk of dying out completely the Irish Terrier is on the endangered breed list in the UK despite it being a very popular breed 100yrs ago and used extensively in the trenches of WW1. By helping a rescue your saving 2 dogs lives, taking one out a rescue and allowing another to take it's place plus you may just help a breed survive.

May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We do miss our mutt, but the pet insurance each month just got more and more. Not sure that the budget would stretch that far now.

Davylambretta

Free Member
Jun 12, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Tesco insurance is good vet told me about it and for the price I was paying for one via petplan I've covered both my current two

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
So she wants a crossbreed dog then? All you are doing by buying a "designer" mix is rather than getting the best of both breeds is crossing defects. Breeding these types of dogs has put others at risk of dying out completely the Irish Terrier is on the endangered breed list in the UK despite it being a very popular breed 100yrs ago and used extensively in the trenches of WW1. By helping a rescue your saving 2 dogs lives, taking one out a rescue and allowing another to take it's place plus you may just help a breed survive.
Or possibly breeding out the known defects.
I can't disagree with what you said but by buying the 'desigber' dog then we gave her a good home as we weren't aware she was already born but actually, Swmbo had decided we wouldn't have another dog at all and it was 20 months after losing our beautiful Mollie that she decided to get a smaller dog (and one without issues) and read about them after seeing one. So didn't we save her life?

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Autotrail scout
Exp
since 1975
Our Jake the Yorky has been travelling around the UK and Europe for last 10 1/2 years, never been refused anywhere with him as always ask first, everyone loves him and he loves the attention back.
Love taking him walkies everywhere we go and very rarely is he left in the moho.
Now that you can him to the 5 days before your ferry or train (rather the 24 hours previously) now much easier to arrange a vet visit prior to return trip.
Nearly everyone on sites or aires will stop and talk with you and make a fuss of him, a great way to meet and make new friends too !!
Jake xmas 2017.jpg

Davylambretta

Free Member
Jun 12, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Or possibly breeding out the known defects.
I can't disagree with what you said but by buying the 'desigber' dog then we gave her a good home as we weren't aware she was already born but actually, Swmbo had decided we wouldn't have another dog at all and it was 20 months after losing our beautiful Mollie that she decided to get a smaller dog (and one without issues) and read about them after seeing one. So didn't we save her life?
Would say no, The male in the pic was 3hrs away from being PTS as was a stray found in the RoI he was saved at 7am and was scheduled to be put down at 10, Breeder didn't want to know as they thought he'd been snipped as he was that badly matted when we got him we found out he was still intact which may have changed the breeders mind if they had known

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 1999
Our 3 are fine on their own in the mh for at least three hours. If there's much activity outside we use a couple of blinds but the worst they do is bark if disturbed (or, on one occasion, sound the horn until it burned out :)).

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Would say no, The male in the pic was 3hrs away from being PTS as was a stray found in the RoI he was saved at 7am and was scheduled to be put down at 10, Breeder didn't want to know as they thought he'd been snipped as he was that badly matted when we got him we found out he was still intact which may have changed the breeders mind if they had known
Only time will tell. Actually unsure what you're saying would say no to.
We've had rescue dogs and we donate to The Dogs Trust and various other rescue centres but our beautiful Mollie did have problems which would take too long to explain but we are now the proud owners of Pepper.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Agree with previous posts re rescue dogs.

All ours have been from rescue centres.

3C605DA4-8FC7-44F8-844C-5911BE0C6C54.jpeg

Our present dog, Lucy, first went abroad in our m/h when she was four months old, she is now approaching 12yrs.

She has visited, France, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Croatia, Italy, Spain, Slovenia and Monaco.

We have never had a problem. She loves the m/h and is happy to stay in her second home when we are out. Europe is much more tolerant of dogs than the UK.

In France, our main interest, she is allowed in restaurants, bars and hotels. In restaurants and bars she just lies down and goes to sleep,unless people come up to stroke her, when she does her “diva”act.

Don’t be worried about travelling with a pet. It can be very rewarding.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Our dog goes everywhere with us in the motorhome. We can invariably find a pub where we can sit outside and eat or where they allow dogs in, which most do even if only in the bar area. On rare occasions we have to leave her in the motorhome for short periods. We have a large folding cage which she absolutely loves. In fact she likes it so much that she is usually fighting to get in even before we have finished erecting it! We usually return to find she is fast asleep and snoring! :)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Charlie, is that a labradoodle? That is what we are looking for...

Noodle is a Cockapoo... Quite a bit smaller than a Labradoodle. Massive personalities huge fun kind hearted characters and playful.

Oh and as mad as a frog.