Considering a bbq (Cadac?) but..... (1 Viewer)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We have a Safari but also the larger carry chef2. I couple of weekends ago we met up with the family on a campsite and Mrs Chrysalis cooked a full roast dinner in it. 2 chickens, roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots, onions etc. I think she used one of the gas rings inside for the gravy. It was delicious. I got to wash up the Cadac, which just meant wiping it clean with kitchen paper then a final rinse with a wash up sponge. I'm not sure if the dome and paella dish that made this possible came as standard, but there is also a grill plate and we have a pizza stone which makes perfect pizza on it too.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I would just get one of those camping Gas cookers with the little bottles of butane. I can't see what the Cadac does in addition to it except being a pig to clean.
I agree @Chris
Our Cadac safari chef must be 10yrs old. We've got the roasting pan, pizza stone, all the bits and have used it extensively.
I've finally conceded that it's not that great... lots of hassle for little benefit. It's now mostly used with a big frying pan as it's easier to clean...
A motorhome oven will cook better pizza and roast potatoes.
Biggest downfall is the wind...even a gentle breeze greatly reduces efficiency .
When ours finally dies, I'll replace with a cheap flat stove...

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It will probably cook anything you want , that's not the issue though , after it wants washing and taking to bits and packing up , longer than the cooking and eating , if there are a family or group of you and you are stopping in one place for a day or two fine, anything else get a Poundland disposable.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I agree @Chris
Our Cadac safari chef must be 10yrs old. We've got the roasting pan, pizza stone, all the bits and have used it extensively.
I've finally conceded that it's not that great... lots of hassle for little benefit. It's now mostly used with a big frying pan as it's easier to clean...
A motorhome oven will cook better pizza and roast potatoes.
Biggest downfall is the wind...even a gentle breeze greatly reduces efficiency .
When ours finally dies, I'll replace with a cheap flat stove...

You can get the little wind breaks for the stove too which are good

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Examples please. And with the same footprint as I'm limited on storage space. I thought they were only 4kg.

My apologies.. :blush:

It is the big one we had... changed from the small one to the big one.... big mistake...

Got shot of that and got one of these... does us.. (y)

Bigger frying pan and can do 2 good breakfasts.. (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Examples please. And with the same footprint as I'm limited on storage space. I thought they were only 4kg.
The basic burner may be 4kg but If you include the double sided cast iron plate, wire mesh grid, legs, domed lid and gas hose they're nearer to 20kg.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
View attachment 180470
This is the bugger I'm talking about , it's one use out of two , it's in a ruck at the back of the shed now.

But that is a Cadac Carri Chef - cumbersome and weighs 12 kg!! not the Cadac Safari Chef 2 which is compact and weighs 4 kg :cautious:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My apologies.. :blush:

It is the big one we had... changed from the small one to the big one.... big mistake...

Got shot of that and got one of these... does us.. (y)

Bigger frying pan and can do 2 good breakfasts.. (y)

That's what we use Mo.

No faffing about with tripods, lids, big bottles, lighting or cleaning

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The basic burner may be 4kg but If you include the double sided cast iron plate, wire mesh grid, legs, domed lid and gas hose they're nearer to 20kg.

Load of old tosh, just weighed ours.

cadac2.jpg

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
A good idea I heard about proberly on here was to get the cheap canister burner I have seen them under ten quid. And put the Cadac paella pan on top so nice little thing to cook on for under £50

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We have a Cadac Safari chef but since we bought the Florabest the Cadac is redundant. Florabest is a proper bbq and cooks on charcoal , is light and compact, just right for two (y)
We've just got one of these too. Love it. Its really easy to clean. I think we'll get rid of the cadac.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not just meats, stir fries, breakfasts and veggies too.
Good little bit of kit.
We try not to cook much at all if we can eat out.
We don't go out in the van to be tied to a cooker, we can do that at home.
Cooking in the van is pure necessity, not "part of the experience".
Trouble is we are away 6 to 8 months a year so eating out all the time would be boring and to expensive,,BUSBY :D:D bk

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I love my Carri Chef 2 - easy to clean and cooks great.

Does need a windbreak to stop the flame blowing, buts it's one of few items in my current van that will be my next.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
So some think they're the best thing since sliced bread & others think they're a waste of space & weight :D2.
Take from that what you will.
What do you do at home - an occasional bbq'ist or cook outdoors at every opportunity?
If the former then start with a few disposable ones before investing in big heavy kit - if the latter then you'll get the benefit from all the gear...

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Never travel without ours. Great bit of kit, cooking in minutes, easy to clean, packs away nearly, does not cost an arm and a leg. Having seen ours two our neighbours went out and bought one.
I agree and. Mine is stored in its bag in the oven ,yes it's that compact...

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I have just put a Cadac Safari Chef 2 in the classified ads on here!
I have enjoyed using mine, found it easy to use & easy to clean.
I've had a Party Chef in the past and found it a bit slow in the cooking dept-not enough heat!
The early Safari Chef was annoying as it has so many 'baffle plate I didn't think it ever got really hot enough.
The Cobb I had and used for many years, I had an early one and a more modern one, I loved it, did fantastic roasts etc, but it is a bit of an animal to clean in a confined space.
We don't BBQ as such but I enjoy cooking, making curries, chilli, casseroles etc, the Safari Chef 2 did all of this and as you're cooking outside that's where the smells stay!
We full time so anything that is user friendly is ideal. I wouldn't say the Safari Chef 2 is any heavier than a Cobb.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The main reasons we BBQ on our travel is that I love my meat, roasted, grilled, fried and of course BBQ'ed.
Two problems with grilling and frying for us on the camper is the fat splattering and filling the camper with strong lingering food pongs from cooking the meat, so we cook the meat on the Cadac outside and 2 or 3 yards from the camper and down wind. The Cadac Safari Chef 2 only has short legs but it's at the ideal height to attend it from the comfort of my folding chair.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
A good idea I heard about proberly on here was to get the cheap canister burner I have seen them under ten quid. And put the Cadac paella pan on top so nice little thing to cook on for under £50

Make sure the paella or frying pan isn't too big, there are a few reports on the web of the gas canister exploding because a large pan was used, which directed the heat onto the gas bottle area.
Failure to read the instructions caused a lively scene on the Charmouth campsite a few years ago when the wife was cooking breakfast for her and her sister on a table outside the van. She hadn't installed the gas canister correctly. She threw a towel over it while the SiL got the extinguisher out of the van.
2011-08-12 17.56.52-1.jpg

May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
Safari Chef 2 is the perfect size for two of us - love cooking outdoors - and doesn't have to sit on a table or on the floor

20170810_193443.jpg

Patrick

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Whilst there are a lot of positive reviews within this thread I have one and would not buy one again. I bought it because it was compact, light weight and was well reviewed. With use (over 2 years) I have found it good for its storage size but found it less so for its cooking abilities. The main problem I experienced was that because the burner is very small it didn't get the griddle hot enough to cook/sear steaks and other raw meats. Some might say a small point but it's a significant one for us. I also found cleaning it to be a messy job as all the fat gathers in the base pan and a proper clean is difficult and I am quite scrupulous. Before you jump towards a Cadac take time to look at others as I am sure there are better out there. Whatever you finally choose enjoy your BBQing.
Cheers
Nik

May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
Whilst there are a lot of positive reviews within this thread I have one and would not buy one again. I bought it because it was compact, light weight and was well reviewed. With use (over 2 years) I have found it good for its storage size but found it less so for its cooking abilities. The main problem I experienced was that because the burner is very small it didn't get the griddle hot enough to cook/sear steaks and other raw meats. Some might say a small point but it's a significant one for us. I also found cleaning it to be a messy job as all the fat gathers in the base pan and a proper clean is difficult and I am quite scrupulous. Before you jump towards a Cadac take time to look at others as I am sure there are better out there. Whatever you finally choose enjoy your BBQing.
Cheers
Nik

Were you using the Safari Chef 2 LP version ?
Its the type we use and certainly don't have a problem with lack of heat ,sears steaks perfetly.

Patrick

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Trouble is we are away 6 to 8 months a year so eating out all the time would be boring and to expensive,,BUSBY :D:D bk

That makes sense, but we're not, so it's not so much of a problem.
We do cook in the van or outside on Cadac, of course we do, but for preference we don't want to go away to waste time cooking when we could be relaxing.
We much prefer prepared or home frozen meals as an alternative to eating out.
(There's always the exception.....the full English!)

I spoke to a couple some years ago who spent a couple of months touring France and Italy, and who cooked every meal in their van.
In France and Italy!

The point I'm making is if it does what you want it to do, it's ok.
Mine does what I want it to do, which is cook for two / four of us at most.
Cooking equipment is no different from MHs, satellite kit, cars or anything else.
There will always be a school of thought which says "I like / don't like it" or "I have it / don't have it", therefore it's the best / worst.

Each to his own.
Black cat, white cat. If it catches mice, it's right cat.

Lafant

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I love our Cadac. I cook vegetables wrapped in foil, while the meat is grilling. Kids love potato rings in a smear of oil. We've started cooking pizza on the pizza stone we bought. A full Welsh breakfast - need I say more. Every year, I look forward to cooking on it.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Halfords. Butane gas hob. Cheap as chips. Easy.
Light. Small. Use it all the time.
Seen Cadacs but they do seem a big bit of kit. Lot of money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back