Considerate drivers - are you one? (1 Viewer)

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
Pembrokeshire roads aren't the best or straightest and at this time of year are rather busy, but there really are some inconsiderate plonkers about. Last week, on my way towards Carmarthen, I ended up in a queue of 43 vehicles behind a horse box/lorry travelling at about 30 - 35 mph. There were plenty of places for her (yes, it was a 'her') to pull over to let vehicles pass, but she went out of her way to make it awkward for anyone to pass. This continued for 8 miles on an A class road - the A40. People began to take risks as they became impatient.

Today, on the same road, returning home, a VW camper doing the same sort of speed was holding up traffic - I counted some 13 between me and him and there were more behind me.
I wasn't in a hurry so it didn't bother me particularly, but again, it was other impatient drivers taking chances that could have caused a serious accident.

When I had my old Merc Chieftain, not the fastest of machines, if I got more than 2 or 3 cars etc. following me for any length of time I'd pull in or slow down to let them pass as I'm sure most funsters would do. The above are classic examples why some people refer to caravans and campers as 'mobile chicanes'.:Angry:

Rant over. Can't wait for G&T time. :thumb:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I totally agree with you, but would also add that if I got into a similar situation, knowing that I would not be able to pass in my MH, that I would pull over myself

That would let the cars come by me, making the queue less for them, removing any doubt that it might be me holding them up and stopping them putting me and them at risk while trying to pass me

I get really frustrated when vehicles of all sizes pull right up behind the lead vehicle in a queue, with no intention of passing, but in staying there make the first vehicle effectively much longer

Now we are both cross :thumb:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I either pull in where I can or slow right down and indicate towards the verge on straight sections to let them overtake. The last thing I want is some impatient tw*t causing mayhem in an effort to get round me on a narrow or winding road. If they pile into something else coming the other way I'm going to be the first to pile into their debris.

If it's me stuck behind the slow moving vehicle I'll pull back enough for others to fill the gap if they want to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Has anybody else noticed though how people really do not look ahead, if I have cars behind me, when it is straight and safe I have indicated left, pulled to the left to let them by, only to have them pull in behind me

Oh Please! :Doh:

I must say that most drivers you can clearly tell whether they want to come by or not from their position on the road, if keen to pass they are usually very quick on the uptake when invited, but a good few don't even acknowledge your consideration, I reckon they just think they have performed a brilliant overtake, while I slowed down and pulled over for them to pass!!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oddly I usually find myself in the opposite situation..
Stuck behind some numpty with cloth cap, big ears and smoking a pipe in a Cleo doing about 8mph !

And tractors.. don't get me started !!!!!!!!

When on the continent I often pull over to let folk pass.. In the UK we do not do much travelling in the MH but yes, do tend to do the same but in all honesty it is rare for us to be in that position

My thoughts are.. we are in no hurr ( or we would not be in the MH ) and the poor sods stuck behind might be desperate to get somewhere urgently

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I'm an extremely considerate driver.
In fact Im going to great personal expense to help others. Having a big RSJ fitted to the front of my truck so I can ram every thick dozy selfish b""""d who insists on driving for mile after mile in the middle lane off the road.

No need for thanks I'm just made that way. ::bigsmile:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We were heading to the south of France on the A20 and came up behind a motorhome which in turn was behind a lorry. Just as we were preparing to overtake them both the motorhome pulled out and then spent the next 13 miles getting past the lorry. I hate to have to report that the motorhome had British reg. plates and down its side it was sign written telling everyone that it was a manufacturers demonstrator. Bearing in mind that I was towing a trailer and therefore doing about 60mph then this overtaking manoeuvre took about 15 minutes. What a prat and not good PR for motorhomes in general and this manufacturer in particular.:Doh:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I'm not very quick, I like to enjoy what's around on my journeys and don't like holding anyone up so always let them pass.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
The A40 anywhere past St Clears is not the best road in the world.:ROFLMAO:

it seems to have been that way forever.