Connection of starter battery to Spare Solar Controller Output (1 Viewer)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
One for Lenny HB and others of the technical ilk

I've found during the winter that the starter battery is gradually dropping its voltage presumably caused by the tracker and alarm systems load but the solar is keeping leisure batteries fully charged.

Quick query on the best place to connect my Votronic MPP solar controller to the starter battery.

All controllers and cabling are located in the rear garage, the starter battery is under the drivers feet.

Is it logical to simply cable from the solar controller spare output to the starter battery input of the EBL111 or is there a better location to connect to such as the HTM control module or B2B inputs etc?

Thanks in anticipation as always!

Neil

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Either the input on the EBL or direct to the battery doesn't make any odds.
I don't use the solar output on my Votronic, I use a CBE CS2 relay it gives a higher charge rate and if the leisure batteries are high it will still charge the starter battery with no sun. It won't work with Lithium.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Either the input on the EBL or direct to the battery doesn't make any odds.
I don't use the solar output on my Votronic, I use a CBE CS2 relay it gives a higher charge rate and if the leisure batteries are high it will still charge the starter battery with no sun. It won't work with Lithium.
Thanks Lenny HB
Typically my EBL doesn't have the starter battery connected, it must go direct to the HTM. I've connected to the battery feed input to the B2B, hopefully it will all sort out.

Thanks again

Neil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Is it logical to simply cable from the solar controller spare output to the starter battery input of the EBL111
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the starter battery input of the EBL111, so apologies if you already know this. There is a 3-way socket on the EBL111 labelled 'BL6 LR(S)', intended for solar power input. Pin 1 is the common negative, Pin 3 is to the leisure battery positive and Pin 2 is to the Starter battery positive. Pin 3 goes through a 15A fuse labelled 'Solar', so if not fitted you have to fit one.

Pin 2 doesn't appear to have a fuse on the EBL front panel. It connects to the starter battery using the Fridge 12V element supply wire. This is a separate wire going all the way to the starter battery, with a 20A fuse near the starter battery end.

The connectors are MnL (Mate'n'Lok) type, available from auto electrics suppliers like Altec Automotive or 12VoltPlanet.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Mine goes direct from my Votronic to the starter battery, always full and never drops below 12.7 volts.

It was an easier cable run than to go anywhere else.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back